Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Aygo 2016 lumpy low revs.

spacefrog

Hello everyone, 

I hope somebody would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, i've been doing a little research but need a little help, my wife  bought a little Aygo, she was so exited to get it , but after two days of driving it around she noticed that its just not quite running as it should, especially on pulling away and reversing up an incline, the revs are either "All or None", when the car is out or gear the engine is slightly revved its quite lumpy and when the engine dies down the same, other that that it goes very well once moving, would this be an idle control valve problem and maybe needs cleaning, the throttle body looks clean from the outside, if anyone could please help, my wife is so upset as she has only had it 3 days, we have already paid out for two tyres and while I was at the garage seen how bad the brakes were, so I have to replace discs and pads which isn't too bad a job, but before we start spending more money on it would like to see her face light up and fix her little car, would make her so happy, thank you in advance to you all for your help.

Maybe just needs a good service John. Previous owner could have scrimped on maintenance costs ?

• Like 3

My new Yaris Cross is also lumpy, like a diesel, when I start the engine.  Slight throttle increases engine speed and all is smooth. 

Once it is warmed up, a minute or so, and driven it remains quiet.  Occasionally, pulling off on an upslope, the ICE is needed to assist the Battery, it is again lumpy until the rpm increases. 

I put this down to the 3 cyl engine.  Possible? 

• Like 4

Yeah, very likely it’s the nature of the 3 cylinder engine. However as recommended a good full service along with the new brakes and tyres and you will likely see your wife’s smile again 👌👍 Change spark plugs with oem to the spec, all filters and good quality oil by the spec. Wynns catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner in max 30l of petrol and take the car for a 30-40 min continuous drive on the motorway, no need a high speeds , anything 60 mph and above will do it but continues drive at least half an hour. You can also run a diagnostic test with obd 2 reader to scan for anything stored from before. Carista is a good diy reader. And that’s pretty much all. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

Sounds like the previous owner scimped on servicing popssibly because they were chainging it.

I you doing any work yourself start with just cleaning spark plugs and looking at the condition of the air filter.

Try some petrol additive into a tank of petrol try the easy stuff first before cleaning the carberettor.

• Like 2

pull the plugs and see what condition they are in, check the oil if its dirty change it (+filter), check and or replace the air filter

what's the mileage ?

Have you looked at the MOT history ?

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Private sale, i take it ?? Young person with kids ?

• Like 3

On 9/28/2022 at 2:11 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yeah, very likely it’s the nature of the 3 cylinder engine. However as recommended a good full service along with the new brakes and tyres and you will likely see your wife’s smile again 👌👍 Change spark plugs with oem to the spec, all filters and good quality oil by the spec. Wynns catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner in max 30l of petrol and take the car for a 30-40 min continuous drive on the motorway, no need a high speeds , anything 60 mph and above will do it but continues drive at least half an hour. You can also run a diagnostic test with obd 2 reader to scan for anything stored from before. Carista is a good diy reader. And that’s pretty much all. 
Good luck 

Thank you Tony for your reply, what I have done since I started this post was cleaned the MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR and although that didnt cure it , it was a big improvement, and so atleast its now drivable, will do the service with oil filter and some cleaner in fuel, ive got redex in there at the moment. I will post back my findings and results. thank you,.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 2:56 PM, flash22 said:

pull the plugs and see what condition they are in, check the oil if its dirty change it (+filter), check and or replace the air filter

what's the mileage ?

Have you looked at the MOT history ?

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Private sale, i take it ?? Young person with kids ?

We bought the car private, was a Middle Aged couple, only has 32k miles on clock and engine is sweet as a nut, my wife intends using it as a learner car, ordering the duel controls tomorrow , hence why im trying to improve its pull away.

Oil seems ok but will do a full service in the coming week.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, Derek.w said:

Sounds like the previous owner scimped on servicing popssibly because they were chainging it.

I you doing any work yourself start with just cleaning spark plugs and looking at the condition of the air filter.

Try some petrol additive into a tank of petrol try the easy stuff first before cleaning the carberettor.

Thank you Derek, yes I dont fancy taking the carb apart, its only done 32 k miles so there cant be too much wrong with it.... when you put your foot on gas it seems like its all or none, it wont increase revs slowly, although its got better since I cleaned the sensor it has a slight rumble when it dies down fro a quick blip on gas...

Carb, what's one of those, not seen one of them on a new car for 20+ years 😉

TBH drive it, fill the tank up with some premium and a some injector cleaner, if it's done low miles in between Mots the fuel could be bad, modern fuels only last 3-6 months

• Like 2

Yes, agreed with flash, drive it and it may set itself. 👌

For the additives, stp and redex are one for regular use , I would call them as fuel conditioner. If you want better results at higher level I will recommend trying wynns. And particularly catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner in max 30ltr of fuel. This fuel additive it’s on another level, did helped me before with engine pulsating at heavy acceleration not once but twice. It’s content is different from regular injector cleaners and even smell differently, cost a bit more but works well, and if it doesn’t that means it was never need of it at first place. 👍

• Like 4

Thank you Tony for taking the time to reply,  I took your advice and bought some catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner and also I got some throttle body cleaner, gave it a few squirts, I also took out the sensor which was nearby, seems to have improved massively, and getting better as we go on, i've been using the car instead of my bike so enjoying being warm and having some music and creature comforts, we seem to have more control over the gas now, it doesn't rev on pull away so much now like it used to , so lets hope it continues...thank you all who have replied.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, spacefrog said:

Thank you Tony for taking the time to reply,  I took your advice and bought some catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner and also I got some throttle body cleaner, gave it a few squirts, I also took out the sensor which was nearby, seems to have improved massively, and getting better as we go on, i've been using the car instead of my bike so enjoying being warm and having some music and creature comforts, we seem to have more control over the gas now, it doesn't rev on pull away so much now like it used to , so lets hope it continues...thank you all who have replied.

I am glad it helped. Hopefully with the time and use it will clear out completely and work as new. A good quality fuel also helps a lot. I found best petrol for me in a local bp station and every time I fill up from there the engine sounds and feels the best. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tony , the bp fuel you use, is it the premium more expensive one or just the standard juice.....?