Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ECO mode

Dylanfan

Just interested,

Do most of you drive in standards mode or eco. Do any of you use the sport mode as there main driving mode?

• Like 3

I would love to drive in sports mode all the time but would be slowed down by the petrol tanker attached to the back.

Eco mode 95%of the time and good milage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Normal mode all the times. Best accelerator feel without been too sensitive like in sport mode or too slow to respond like in eco mode. Normal mode gives me more precise driving while maintaining the same fuel efficiency. That is my choice 👌

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Normal mode. I tried ECO but life is too short (even for a laid back driver like me). Never tried Sport. From what I understand the modes are only moderating the throttle response to pedal movements so you can achieve the same thing in normal mode by pushing the accelerator less or more respectively.

• Like 4

Always in normal mode, or sport mode momentarily if turning into a fast flow of traffic. .. never tried Eco mode, perhaps I should give it a try.

• Like 5

90% of the time Eco especially on shorter trips but normal feels a lot better on longer trips driving wise, power mode is just plan crazy 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Normal mode mostly, Sport mode when I feel like a bit of push around country lines, Sport mode also makes the steering wheel feel tighter and heavier. 

• Like 5

Eco 99% of the time - Allows a bit more low speed finesse, which is what I spend most of my time crawling through in London :laugh: 

I've only used Sport once, and it just kept the engine on all the time so stopped using that pretty quick! (The M15A-FXE is a fine engine but it's as refined as a diesel at low rpm or high load :laugh: )

I tend to use Normal when I have a car full of people and luggage, as by freak chance it makes the car perform and react the same as if it was in Eco mode with just me in it, so I don't have to consciously compensate for the extra weight :laugh: 

• Like 4

Normal mode all the time. No need for sport mode with the 2.0 ltr engine.😋

• Like 3

Normal all the time. Occasionally use sport to improve response, but that’s it. Driving modes are a gimmic, and only charge the colour of the display, and the throttle response (steering weight in sport too). You can mimic the Eco affect just by driving gently. . There are no changes to engine software to make it more efficient, just dulled throttle response to make it harder for you to accelerate more 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bigblock said:

Normal mode all the time. No need for sport mode with the 2.0 ltr engine.😋

I wonder if that engine would fit in the Yaris... :g::whistling1:

• Like 1

I use Normal mode about 98% of the time. I have been known to put the car in Sport mode for a couple of minutes, just for a bit of fun. I have tried Eco mode a couple of times, but felt like I was driving along, waiting for something to happen, to me Eco mode makes the car feel very lethargic.

• Like 3

It just makes it easier to accelerate more slowly because you have to push the pedal more*, but doesn't actually change any drivetrain settings to make the car any more efficient.

I find it gives me more precision at low speeds so I can roll through traffic more easily without having to stop or brake, while the cars ahead of me keep starting and stopping.

* Initially at least; The power ramps up much faster than the other 2 modes at the higher end. Sport mode is the opposite - Power ramps up very fast at the beginning but tails off towards the end. Normal is a more linear progression.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eco mode might be useful in slippery conditions because it will keep the car in ev mode longer which means low end torque and easy to move off the line without tyres slip. Same can be achieved in Normal mode but for some people it is a difficult task to work with the accelerator smoothly.
Been in eco mode can also have other benefits while in regen braking. If you lift off your foot too fast of accelerator the car will go into stronger regenerative braking immediately and will cause shift shocks = discomfort for the passengers , while in eco mode this is less possible as the pedal response it’s slower. 

• Like 3

i use eco around town normal on motorway / dual carriageways, but love sticking it into sport+ and using the paddles on country lanes , moor roads etc.  

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments, I use normal mode mostly but do use eco occasionally. Sports mode rarely gets used, usually if I’m joining a duel carriageway and I need to get up to speed quickly.

So it seems most of us use normal mode with a few on eco. Overall I’ve not found much difference, mpg wise, either way.

• Like 4

We have a 1.8 Corolla & a mk4 Yaris.

I find in the Corolla Eco to be very frustrating so I mix between Normal and Sport, I would use Sport more if it didn't make the steering unnecessarily heavy as it crispens the throttle response without unduly affecting the economy.

In the Yaris, the main issue is the button (along with the EV mode button) is between the seats so much harder to locate than the rocker in the Corolla. Eco is usable, but didn't see any economy advantage so went back to Normal. Power didn't make it feel noticeably brisker so it just get left in Normal  

• Like 2

The hybrids are bit tricky and acceleration depends more of Battery state of charge than of which mode you have chosen. When you have more charge you can try to floor the pedal even switch to sport before hand and you will be surprised how extra power comes to the car and there is also this push to the seat back like in more powerful cars. When Battery is low this can only happen if you push dead to the floor. Modes are just for pedal feel, but I think this is the case in all other cars , except steering and suspension settings change 👍 

• Like 3

Normal mode most of the time. Sport, which i love, only when i have too. Eco mode is far too slow and sluggish for my liking. I get good MPG staying in normal mode.

• Like 3

I've only had my 2.0Ltr TS for 6 weeks & almost 800 miles & it's been in ECO all the time but reading all the replies in this I'm going to stick it into Normal mode to see what the difference is.

• Like 2

Eco mode for normal driving as I find it relaxing though sometimes have to push the pedal a bit more. Sport on the windy roads as it's a nice drive. Hardly ever use normal

I have found you do need to adjust to the conditions of the road and what you want.

I always use Normal or Eco mode when starting out (depending on which I left it in when i park up).

But:

1. Eco = when on motorways and just cruising along

2. Normal = on standard A or B roads (but might change to Eco if the roads are flat)

3. Sport = to pull away at a junction, roundabout or to overtake on a motorway/by-pass, etc.

As @AndrueC mentions the mode only moderates the throttle.  If you are in Eco and keep the accelerator at a certain point, if you switch up to Normal the car accelerates slightly more... switch up to Sport and it goes a little bit more.

The main thing is it really is not an Economy mode for fuel consumption but more an accelerator thing that just makes it faster response.  Eco for me always feels like i have to press the throttle harder.

Would really be better if half the engine could shut down when cruising to allow for fuel saving.  Yes it does run on EV mode at times and can do this at 70mph if on a flat road or slight downhill... but only for a few seconds.  Longest I got was 20 seconds at 72mph.

I've often thought that having the engine capable of switching between Atkinson and Otto cycles like the Jazz does would be good. It would complicate the ECU logic but it would give a big boost to power when you put your foot down if the engine could switch to Otto cycle.