Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crusie Control - Issue or user error

JDHogg

Just got a year and a half old Toyota Corolla Excel Hybrid and I love the cruise control but it seems to stop working after a while. So I press the cruise control button then set it and adjust the speed all good. Then after a while on a journey it seems to get in a state where I cannot set the speed very annoying. If I stop the car it then works again is this user error or a fault?

Cheers

John

• Like 2

If you touch the brake pedal whilst in Cruise Control mode, the CC is cancelled. Could this be what is happening with your car? (Just a thought).

• Like 2

And

56 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

If you touch the brake pedal whilst in Cruise Control mode, the CC is cancelled. Could this be what is happening with your car? (Just a thought).

And when he says tough, he mean touch.😬

• Like 1

Never had that problem but on my 2019 Corolla I have many times accidentally pressed cancel instead of resume or when adjusting the speed. The 2019 version at least lacks any tactile indication of where your finger is on the button and doesn't have any directionality to tell you what angle you might be pressing the button.

• Like 1

I've something a bit like that when I tried using the cruise-control mode that puts a green box around the speed limit icon; Normally you press up or down while CC is engaged to change the set speed, but in green box mode (I forget the mad acronym it's under in the menu! :laugh: ), instead of changing the set speed it jumps immediately to whatever it thinks the speed limit is, but it kept getting stuck and wouldn't change speed or worse would change it to something seemingly random, so I stopped using it pretty quick due to it's lack of reliability!

• Like 1

Following AndrueC post, it is easy to catch the cancel button it you touch just off the 12 o'clock resume position. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

I've something a bit like that when I tried using the cruise-control mode that puts a green box around the speed limit icon; Normally you press up or down while CC is engaged to change the set speed, but in green box mode (I forget the mad acronym it's under in the menu! :laugh: ), instead of changing the set speed it jumps immediately to whatever it thinks the speed limit is, but it kept getting stuck and wouldn't change speed or worse would change it to something seemingly random, so I stopped using it pretty quick due to it's lack of reliability!

Worse thing is when the Yaris for reasons known only to itself thinks a 40 sign is km and drops the cruise to 24mph. 

If you disable it does it stay disabled or do you have to do it every journey???

I used mine last Wednesday for the first time since March.

It is great to set it - either with radar assist or manual.  I did notice that once set, if I cancel then resume it does go back to previous set speed, but at one point i pressed + to increase speed but it didn't seem to work.  I hit - and that worked then hit + again then it worked.

Strange indeed.

Only happened the once though.

On a side note I have notice the actual speed for 70mph on mine is showing 73mph - IE: at 73mph on speedo i am actually going 70 - which the radar-assist is problematic as it only goes in 5mph increments, unlike the manual that allows 1mph increments.

So I always set radar-assist once i hit 73mph to allow for the slight discrepancy 😄

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:22 AM, AndrueC said:

Never had that problem but on my 2019 Corolla I have many times accidentally pressed cancel instead of resume or when adjusting the speed. The 2019 version at least lacks any tactile indication of where your finger is on the button and doesn't have any directionality to tell you what angle you might be pressing the button.

Yes I have done this too on my journey last week.

On my Astra the increment was on a small toggle level and the cancel was reasonably away to ensure no error.  Just have to get used to it.

19 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Yes I have done this too on my journey last week.

On my Astra the increment was on a small toggle level and the cancel was reasonably away to ensure no error.  Just have to get used to it.

On my Jazz it was the same kind of button but had tactile ridges and an obvious directionality to it similar to what game consoles have. You knew where your fingers were and the button helped guide you to the position you wanted.

The jazz also had a physical toggle switch for CC on/off (just what is the point in being able to turn CC off?) so I could leave it on all the time and just enable or disable it as I saw fit. I wish that CC (and Brake Hold for that matter) were toggles so that I could leave them both on all the time.

• Like 1

Just now, AndrueC said:

On my Jazz it was the same kind of button but had tactile ridges and an obvious directionality to it similar to what game consoles have. You knew where your fingers were and the button helped guide you to the position you wanted.

The jazz also had a physical toggle switch for CC on/off (just what is the point in being able to turn CC off?) so I could leave it on all the time and just enable or disable it as I saw fit. I wish that CC (and Brake Hold for that matter) were toggles so that I could leave them both on all the time.

Unfortunately not everyone will be happy 😄 we just make of it what we can don't we?

The set up of the buttons on the steering wheel on Toyotas is much to be desired though... basically a disc that they cut into buttons visually but not for touchy-feely.

Shame as normally Toyota are ahead of the game...

• Like 1

Yaris and Cross have well defined buttons.  The Resume/Plus up switch works with one flick = 1 mph, hold and it increments 5 mph. 

42 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Yaris and Cross have well defined buttons.  The Resume/Plus up switch works with one flick = 1 mph, hold and it increments 5 mph. 

Interesting. It's the other way around with the Corolla. Push for 5mph increment hold for 1mph. Personally I'm happy with 5mph multiples and the difference between the displayed speed and the actual speed doesn't seem worth worrying about.

You'd have to be driving a long, long way before 'a few mph' made a significant difference to the journey time.

I used to set my Merc CC at an accurate speed limit when travelling long distances and pass many cars going at 70 indicted.  

Now I am content travelling at 10 under and find it more calming in lane 1 often with minimal traffic as lane 2 is full😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kental said:

Worse thing is when the Yaris for reasons known only to itself thinks a 40 sign is km and drops the cruise to 24mph. 

If you disable it does it stay disabled or do you have to do it every journey???

Disable what sorry?

6 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Unfortunately not everyone will be happy 😄 we just make of it what we can don't we?

The set up of the buttons on the steering wheel on Toyotas is much to be desired though... basically a disc that they cut into buttons visually but not for touchy-feely.

Shame as normally Toyota are ahead of the game...

It's a problem that's pervading everything - The prioritization of form over function. It feels like every design decision goes in favour of making something look pretty or symmetrical or something, even if it makes the function of the thing worse.

Two examples - Putting door handles on the push side of the door instead of a flat push plate, because symmetry, and putting gigantic fuel-guzzling rims on an econobox car, because bling.

Drives me mad!!

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I used to set my Merc CC at an accurate speed limit when travelling long distances and pass many cars going at 70 indicted.  

Now I am content travelling at 10 under and find it more calming in lane 1 often with minimal traffic as lane 2 is full😁

Funny you should say that! It was absolutely chucking it down on the way home; When I got on the M25, for some bizarre reason everyone was doing about 50 or less in lanes 2 and 3; Lane 4 had the usual maniacs, but I found myself following a Stobart flying along lane 1 and passing long queues of slow-moving traffic in lanes 2 and 3 - Lane 1 was almost completely empty!!!

I still do not understand why other drivers do this. Not that I'm complaining! Saved me a lot of journey time that did! :laugh: 

58 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Disable what sorry?

Have you managed to make the adaptive cruise control adjustment not intelligent? ie short press 1 mph long press 5 mph rather than the 'intelligent' short press 1 mph long press change to what the camera randomiser thinks the limit is (the green box)? 

I find it a bit fiddly, even distracting, really sometimes more bother than it's worth so tend not to use it much.

Probably because I don't use it much I think it's fiddly 😀

• Haha 1

Thanks for the replies looks like no one is experiencing what I am. When its working its brilliant. If set at say 27mph then hit the plus in a 30 limit it goes to 30 then I can adjust it up and down +5 mph. However sometimes I lose the digits that show you what it is set at and they wont come back if you cancel etc If I turn the engine off its working again. Sometimes I get digits up that seem to be a speed limiter so the car doesn't move to the setting. I'm going to take it to the salesman next week just in case it is user error. Apart from this niggle very pleased with the car.

On 10/1/2022 at 6:41 PM, JDHogg said:

Thanks for the replies looks like no one is experiencing what I am. When its working its brilliant. If set at say 27mph then hit the plus in a 30 limit it goes to 30 then I can adjust it up and down +5 mph. However sometimes I lose the digits that show you what it is set at and they wont come back if you cancel etc If I turn the engine off its working again. Sometimes I get digits up that seem to be a speed limiter so the car doesn't move to the setting. I'm going to take it to the salesman next week just in case it is user error. Apart from this niggle very pleased with the car.

It sounds like you sometimes are activating the speed limiter (9 o'clock on right-hand selector) rather than cruise control (3 o'clock on right-hand selector). I rarely use the cruise control, but I am a great fan of the speed limiter. Once you have used a GPS device to work out the speedometer error, you can set the requisite limit and cruise past the queue behind the police car doing 67mph on the motorway.

Thanks yes speed limiter is one of the places I end up. Below shows it working as I expect. Trouble is at some point I seem to get out of this mode and then cannot get back there until I've restarted the car.

image.thumb.png.caf3f733a8971d035c34a836196a7bc4.png

Well I went to the dealers this afternoon and it looks like user error🤭 it seems I was switching it off and on again. Once you have switched it on if it is cancelled by the cancel button or use of the break you just press set again. I cannot believe it as I thought I had tried all combinations. Hopefully it was user error and I can continue to enjoy the car which the dog likes very much as well!