Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Four Wheel Drive Test

Hybrid21

I was just thinking today as I was driving with the display set to showing the different power and charging info as your driving.

I couldn't see the rear electric motor ( four wheel drive ) kicking in on the display.

What would be easiest way to test if it is actually working ?

Drive over some grass that’s wet or similar surface.

It does react but you may need to monitor carefully as it can be quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

I was just thinking today as I was driving with the display set to showing the different power and charging info as your driving.

I couldn't see the rear electric motor ( four wheel drive ) kicking in on the display.

If it behaves as a traditional RAV4 should, it will start in AWD from rest and 'disengage' the rear axle as the speed increases above 15 mph. So just start gently from rest ... ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Philip, not sure if I tried that today, but will give it a go tomorrow ( having a glass of wine 🍷 )

On the display when the ICE kicks in you can see it on the display as a red arrow, I would like to see this on the rear electric motor.

Note to self:

Must move from the Highlands to Argyll - the sun is not yet over the yardarm here 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Drive over some grass that’s wet or similar surface.

It does react but you may need to monitor carefully as it can be quick.

Thanks Ernie, I may eventually try that, heading up to Crieff in a few weeks time and may need a bit of four wheel drive 😀

But was hoping for the easy way and see it in operation on the display  😀

16 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Thanks Ernie, I may eventually try that, heading up to Crieff in a few weeks time and may need a bit of four wheel drive 😀

But was hoping for the easy way and see it in operation on the display  😀

I have to say I’ve seen it operate when I’ve briskly accelerated, fleetingly the rear wheels engage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Which screen are you looking at? The AWD screen on the MID? From the range remaining going across 3 and down to the 4th screen?

Don't look at it often but pretty sure it shows the rear wheels being driven fairly regularly when I have. I'll have to have another look.

• Thanks 1

Hi Nigel, I was looking at the information screen on the 8" display. Menu/Info which shows the transmission layout, etc.

Is this the MID ?

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Nigel, I was looking at the information screen on the 8" display. Menu/Info which shows the transmission layout, etc.

Is this the MID ?

Yes, I can't remember if it shows anything properly about where the power goes on the energy/power display on the infotainment screen, but the AWD screen on the MID definitely displays the amount of power being given to each wheel.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nlee said:

Yes, I can't remember if it shows anything properly about where the power goes on the energy/power display on the infotainment screen, but the AWD screen on the MID definitely displays the amount of power being given to each wheel.

I find the MID a better display as your eyes are more or less in the correct position to see the small changes to the drive on the wheels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NASY said:

William, cheaper option ---just move your yardarm.

As the song says - it's 5 o'clock somewhere 😀

I did a test today over about a 10 miles drive. I set the MID display to show the drive to the wheels.  I can effectively see the rear wheels driving under a lots of different road conditions. At any junction as you accelerate and turn either left of right, even gentle acceleration, the rear wheels show drive and the harder you push the more the rear wheels are powered. Any sweeping corner if you slow on entry and accelerate around the rear wheels show drive.  Hard acceleration will also light up the rear wheels. Any hill or gradient and the rear wheels are potentially engaged.

I’ve been surprised often the AWD is engaged but what was also interesting was that the slightest slowing of the car shows no drive on any wheel. The does not seem to show up if I use the Head display but does on the MID.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same as Ernie. Rear wheel drive in action a lot. 

Been off road a lot now. Down steep trails to lake sides in the North Lake District. Up and down steep wet very muddy trails on the hills and forests. AWD in action all the time according to the MID. 

Never a problem despite the standard road tyres. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the regular use of AWD is to its benefit in comparison to the relative inaction of the Haldex system used in the VAG group of vehicles.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2022 at 1:45 PM, ernieb said:

I did a test today over about a 10 miles drive. I set the MID display to show the drive to the wheels.  I can effectively see the rear wheels driving under a lots of different road conditions. At any junction as you accelerate and turn either left of right, even gentle acceleration, the rear wheels show drive and the harder you push the more the rear wheels are powered. Any sweeping corner if you slow on entry and accelerate around the rear wheels show drive.  Hard acceleration will also light up the rear wheels. Any hill or gradient and the rear wheels are potentially engaged.

I’ve been surprised often the AWD is engaged but what was also interesting was that the slightest slowing of the car shows no drive on any wheel. The does not seem to show up if I use the Head display but does on the MID.

Hi Ernie, yes I tried this using the MID display and found it very interesting as well 👍

Also when in sport mode there's a small gforce type ball which moves about as you corner, brake, etc

Really did find it interesting, thanks 

• Like 2