Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

I have not been on this forum for while but my 2022 March car was stolen last night. Fortunetly I used MYT app located the car and recovered. Entertainment Screen and some other stuff were removed and the hybrid multifunction error was on the screen.  I took it to the Toyota service and asked for explanation how someone managed to drive away without keys.. The service manager said it is really easy to start the car from left frot headlight and it takes 5 minutes.

I will be contacting Toyota UK to explain this and try to return the car or find a way to secure it. It looks like their security system faulty and someone can drive the car away with little effort.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 12

That is terrible. Very sorry to hear. It's horrendous for you and worrying for the rest of us if it is that easy. 

I can't remember where, but I'd seen somewhere before relating to this headlight or wheel arch thing but dismissed it as likely fake news. Clearly not!

I hope you manage to get things sorted as quickly and painlessly as possible. I'm sure you have greater things on your mind at the moment but please do keep us all updated on anything you find out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, atartan said:

The service manager said it is really easy to start the car from left frot headlight and it takes 5 minutes.

Ha! Back in the 80's when car alarms began to become very popular and hooked up to the central locking it was easy to bypass the system by simply shorting one of the indicators from the outside. You'd have though they had learned by now! 

Sorry, to hear about your car. But also impressed by how quickly you found it. 

• Like 4

So sorry 😞

Ironically... I have just etched my car windows, bought an old school steering lock and bought a quality Faraday Box.

I hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.

• Like 3

Doesn't really matter as thanks to EU anti competition laws the OBD port on any modern vehicle is open for any Tom, ***** or Harry to plug in a device & bypass the security systems.

Some manufacturers vehicles are more targeted then others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that happened. Was the car abandoned nearby, if these missing parts been the object of theft? Strange thing are happening these days with shortage of everything and lack of humanity. 

• Like 5

Sorry to hear that the car was stolen and how easy it appears to have happened. At least the MyT app did it’s job so amongst the bad news there is something that worked as expected. Hope you get some resolution and keep us all informed.

• Like 1

Toyota just called and said loom wiring is cut and it would cost £2000 replace. They are checking the other stuff right now.

Any benefits / disadvantages of reporting the theft to police / insurance ? Apart from my insurance going up ? Will it make more difficult to sell the car in the future ? I wish Toyota cover the expenses as they made the car so easy to start and drive away

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I think you need to tell the insurance company even if you were going to cover the cost yourself. The small print will say if you with hold any information then the policy is void. If you needed to make a future claim, say in an accident, them you would be in deep dodo.

• Like 5

Think this video shows this type of theft in action. Worth a quick look at the video comments too.

Very worrying

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Think this video shows this type of theft in action. Worth a quick look at the video comments too.

Very worrying

Wow, cool as you like.  It’s got me thinking I’d there is something that I can put under the arch and alarm or make it more secure?

• Like 2

It needs some sort of plate to protect the wiring, it's some sort of relay attack then something to do with the wiring in that arch

i would think they pulled the radio to get at the DCM, it was parked up to make sure it didn't have a secondary tracker on it, i would look at getting a cat 1 alarm and/or tracker on the car

• Like 2

It's called a CAN invader attack, it's a new theft method over here but plenty of Lexus have been stolen recently in Japan using the same method.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atartan said:
2 hours ago, atartan said:
29 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I think you need to tell the insurance company even if you were going to cover the cost yourself. The small print will say if you with hold any information then the policy is void. If you needed to make a future claim, say in an accident, them you would be in deep dodo.

Hi all....sorry Ata to learn of your triple whammy, damaged car, hassle, expense, etc. 😡

Insurance will have a field day with such an easy theft. 

I'm in the process of renewing my RAV insurance trawling the 😕 fused.com as you do.

Best premium £280 less than my existing insurer.

Almost did the deal but because I don't have a tracker the whole car theft part is invalid.

Apparently the fitted Toyota Thatcham approved immobiliser etc. doesn't qualify.  

Finally returned to my local broker ie no tracker required & window screen cover included.

Taken the sting out of the additional premium.

Barry Wright, Lancashire. 

Ah, that makes sense, much like a OBD2 can attack as used on fords

a standalone immobilizer should do the trick

• Like 1

What the hell 😳 First keyless, now this.

I guess PHEV is no different and the can bus is also going there?

• Like 1

Blimey.  Back in the day my dad wired a physical switch hidden under the dash into the ignition feed.  Might go back to that 🤣

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Blimey.  Back in the day my dad wired a physical switch hidden under the dash into the ignition feed.  Might go back to that 🤣

I’m probably the same age as your dad and I’ve also wired an ignition switch on a few cars over the years.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’m probably the same age as your dad and I’ve also wired an ignition switch on a few cars over the years.

I did some research and the problem is this is not about the ignition switch. Those guys connect to the can bus interface using the cable running to the lamp, then unbind your keys and start the car from the can bus interface ... 😳

Even if you secure the loom wiring making it inaccessible from outside, they can still break the window and start the car from inside using ODB2 interface. Reportedly, even the cheap copy of TechStream from eBay can do all of this stuff. 

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I'm learning this stuff as I go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

It's called a CAN invader attack, it's a new theft method over here but plenty of Lexus have been stolen recently in Japan using the same method.

I wonder if taping the connection to the bulb connection might slow them down?

They need to be able to plug in somewhere, so securing the connections might be the best deterrent? 

• Like 1

Toyata service wants £5000 to replace to some wires that were cut and head-unit. I asked how they will make sure that my car won't be stolen with the same method. Answer was, any car can be stolen these days... I said not in 90 seconds with little effort.

Below is the response I got from Rob at Toyota UK. Then I asked  them  if they will issue a software  upgrade or some kind of fix. Lets see what they will say. 

Thanks for contacting Toyota. 

I am sorry your RAV4 has been stolen, I can imagine this must have been a very upsetting and distressing experience.  Your custom is important to us and we appreciate the investment you have made in our brand.  

Your vehicle has a number of theft deterrent devices; an immobiliser, intrusion alarm, motion sensor alarm and tilt detection sensors.  Unfortunately, new theft methods and tools are continuously being developed by organised criminal gangs to gain access to - or steal the latest vehicles.  This is a challenge the entire automotive industry is facing.

We are continuously striving to improve our vehicles and whilst, regrettably we cannot guarantee that these efforts will eliminate all criminal activity and theft, our design team will continue to work with the police and insurers to develop technology and components to try to prevent vehicle crime. 

Kind regards

Rob 

• Thanks 1

I don’t think Toyota has anything to do or been held responsible for thefts on any of their cars or car parts taken off their cars. Toyota is a car manufacturer, cars are within industry standards and not much different if anything at all from other car manufacturers. Car thefts will always happen no matter how secure the cars are or aren’t. 

I don’t know why the op did not contact police and insurance in first place and let them deal with , but instead has taken action by themselves. 

Sorry , with all due respect but Toyota really has nothing to do with this case, we all pay insurance, insurance is there for that matter. And yes, they are right, any car can be stolen, some even quicker. If it’s meant to happen it will happen. Best to call your insurance and make your problem theirs. 
Good luck 🤞 

What's surprising me is the thieves didn't do a little more research where certain components where located before taking the vehicle. 

Thefts such as this are quite common. Two years ago a neighbour's Fiesta ST was parked outside in the road. Someone smashed the driver's window, climbed in, used a device  plugged into the OBD port which mimiced the electronic key, and drove off 

Took literally 3 minutes (it was witnessed by another neighbour) and this was at 11.00am busy'ish on a Saturday morning. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 6:24 PM, TonyHSD said:

I don’t think Toyota has anything to do or been held responsible for thefts on any of their cars or car parts taken off their cars. Toyota is a car manufacturer, cars are within industry standards and not much different if anything at all from other car manufacturers. Car thefts will always happen no matter how secure the cars are or aren’t. 

I don’t know why the op did not contact police and insurance in first place and let them deal with , but instead has taken action by themselves. 

Sorry , with all due respect but Toyota really has nothing to do with this case, we all pay insurance, insurance is there for that matter. And yes, they are right, any car can be stolen, some even quicker. If it’s meant to happen it will happen. Best to call your insurance and make your problem theirs. 
Good luck 🤞 

Are you working for Toyota ? The incident has already been  reported to police / insurance but You think Toyota has no responsibility with their car lock system ? Don't you think it should be difficult to start and drive a car without a key. This car supposed to have immobilizer and other systems to make it difficult to steal.  A new one cost £45K ... If you talk to a Toyota sales rep , they will tell you that how difficult to steal this car. It is false advertisement and promises. If they told me that this car can be stolen in 90seconds I wouldn't pay a penny. Whether they issue a software patch or change a part, they should make is a bit more secure and difficult to drive away with no key. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1