Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

On 9/30/2022 at 12:12 PM, atartan said:

I have not been on this forum for while but my 2022 March car was stolen last night. Fortunetly I used MYT app located the car and recovered. Entertainment Screen and some other stuff were removed and the hybrid multifunction error was on the screen.  I took it to the Toyota service and asked for explanation how someone managed to drive away without keys.. The service manager said it is really easy to start the car from left frot headlight and it takes 5 minutes.

I will be contacting Toyota UK to explain this and try to return the car or find a way to secure it. It looks like their security system faulty and someone can drive the car away with little effort.

In May 2022 my 2019 corolla was also stolen, unfortunately the car was never located and MYT app showed it was still outside of my house where i had parked it the night before, maybe they somehow removed the tracker. I asked the toyota dealer and said they had no idea how this was possible and said they would ask some higher ups but i never heard from them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Years back I had a Pug 406 that had a number pad, you had to enter a pin to start the car.

Was it called an Intoximeter? 😂😂😂

35 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Just remove the rotor arm on the distributor on your Alvis while parked outside the RAC club on the mall to have lunch.

Might be a good idea to wrap it in your Turnbull and Asser kerchief though to prevent unwanted stains in pockets.

I might be a little behind the times on this one however.

Back in the day I had a little yellow van (AA). And we were skilled in access to all manner of vehicles - most common scenario we called LOKI (Locked Out Keys Inside).

Ten seconds to get into a (then) Golf with central locking - remove 2 Philips screws from o/s number plate lamp and pull the (now accessible) locking rod to the tailgate and bingo - all locks open.

As part of our induction we made our own access (skeleton) keys - 4 in all that covered most locks. I suspect they would now have the modern equivalent.

• Like 5

Thanks to the OP, and others, for raising awareness of this weakness in the security on the RAV4.  I’d be gutted if my shiny new car disappeared off the drive overnight!

I’ve ordered one of the Milenco steering wheel locks to hopefully deter anyone looking to hack into it and drive it away. I’ll report if there are any issues with it once it arrives.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, King Crimson said:

In May 2022 my 2019 corolla was also stolen, unfortunately the car was never located and MYT app showed it was still outside of my house where i had parked it the night before, maybe they somehow removed the tracker. I asked the toyota dealer and said they had no idea how this was possible and said they would ask some higher ups but i never heard from them.

You have to remember that the equipment fitted by Toyota for location data via My T isn't an insurance approved tracking device. 

• Like 1

I forget what year Robocop was set in, but haven’t we got these yet? With so much Battery on tap. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dippy said:

I forget what year Robocop was set in, but haven’t we got these yet? With so much battery on tap. 

A Ford Probe - it would have been a kindness to let him have it 😂

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2022 at 2:39 PM, ernieb said:

Wow, cool as you like.  It’s got me thinking I’d there is something that I can put under the arch and alarm or make it more secure?

I've just installed a small bear trap type device. Used for large rodents. Have put two under each wheel arch screwed down and one behind each headlight. I've added a paste made from Death Cap mushrooms and giant centipede venom. Seems like a reasonable quid pro quo.

SmartSelect_20221004_004939_Chrome.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

I am totally dumbfounded by this revelation. Our car is unlikely to be stolen from outside our home, simply due to where we live, but, fornicating hell, we were in England last week for a week. That would have been a proper boker, to come back to a car that wasnt there, while far from home.

Signed

Disgusted of Dervock.

• Like 3

It is really weird, I complained to the Toyota UK about Currie Motors Toyota.. They told me that it is an independently owned business and they have no control over them..  I am surprised that Toyota doesn't inspect these franchises  or deal with complaints against them(i am guessing they are some kind of franchise  , if they are using Toyota's name or logo).

• Like 1

The majority of dealerships in the UK are franchises (approx 4,500) regardless of marque.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The majority of dealerships in the UK are franchises (approx 4,500) regardless of marque.

That's fine but even MCDonals inspect their franchise restaurants or take complaints seriously

• Like 4

Many years ago, in pre-immobiliser days, I just used to remove the rotor arm from the distributor; not so simple these days.

• Like 2

Anyone have any ideas what happens to these stolen cars? Sent abroad in containers or even broken up  and shipped abroad as happens to Range Rovers. Cannot see a big market for parts in the UK as cars still in warranty. Likewise if sold on as hybrids innocent buyers more likely to get service at Toyota due to the complexity/ extended warranty. 

• Like 2

So what was the reason of theft on this  Toyota RAV4, did the thieves wanted the whole car or only some particular parts? 
Thanks 

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

So what was the reason of theft on this  Toyota RAV4, did the thieves wanted the whole car or only some particular parts? 
Thanks 

Who knows? ... and I suspect we never shall since the owner, Ata, simply went and recovered it ... 😉 

On 9/30/2022 at 12:12 PM, atartan said:

I have not been on this forum for while but my 2022 March car was stolen last night. Fortunetly I used MYT app located the car and recovered. Entertainment Screen and some other stuff were removed and the hybrid multifunction error was on the screen.  I took it to the Toyota service and asked for explanation how someone managed to drive away without keys.. The service manager said it is really easy to start the car from left frot headlight and it takes 5 minutes.

I will be contacting Toyota UK to explain this and try to return the car or find a way to secure it. It looks like their security system faulty and someone can drive the car away with little effort.

7 pages so far. We'll if I ever had the misfortune to get my car stolen or anything stolen I certainly wouldn't be recovering it myself. I would inform the police and let them do their job that we pay our taxes for. Then I would inform my insurance and let them do their job as that is what we pay insurance for. Can we now let this topic come to a end and we can all chip in and buy a box of kleenex for the op

37 minutes ago, FORBES said:

7 pages so far. We'll if I ever had the misfortune to get my car stolen or anything stolen I certainly wouldn't be recovering it myself. I would inform the police and let them do their job that we pay our taxes for. Then I would inform my insurance and let them do their job as that is what we pay insurance for. Can we now let this topic come to a end and we can all chip in and buy a box of kleenex for the op

You probably read half of what was written in this thread and You like trolling. The police and insurance were informed. Police has no interest in doing their work and you should take that problem to the people running the country.

I dont think I need your charity for anything. Feel free to make a donation to choice of your charity instead of me and post it here. We can see how generous you are........

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Who knows? ... and I suspect we never shall since the owner, Ata, simply went and recovered it ... 😉 

I think they park the car in a location for a while to see if the factory fitted tracker still working or if there is a third party tracker. if no-one comes to get the car, I guess they either take it out of the country or break for parts.. God knows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atartan said:

I think they park the car in a location for a while to see if the factory fitted tracker still working or if there is a third party tracker. if no-one comes to get the car, I guess they either take it out of the country or break for parts.. God knows.

Agree that it was probably a ‘let’s wait and see’ driving past over few days. I’d think they’d just break it down as much as they can or else they’d been slightly more careful about the damage..

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Agree that it was probably a ‘let’s wait and see’ driving past over few days. I’d think they’d just break it down as much as they can or else they’d been slightly more careful about the damage..

I want to install the Ghost Immobiliser below into my 2022 RAV4 Excel. Does anyone knows if it will prevent thieves. 

https://scorpiontrack.com/x-series-vehicle-immobiliser/

You can never make anything un-nickable, car, house, anything.  All you can really do is make it more difficult to do so they go somewhere else.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, robo1 said:

Anyone have any ideas what happens to these stolen cars? Sent abroad in containers or even broken up  and shipped abroad as happens to Range Rovers. Cannot see a big market for parts in the UK as cars still in warranty. Likewise if sold on as hybrids innocent buyers more likely to get service at Toyota due to the complexity/ extended warranty. 

Yes. Parts. They get hold of accident damaged cars cheap, with the cost of parts cars get 'written off' quite easily now even with low level damage or something like flood damaged electronics modules. There is a really good supply of them these days because of this.

They steal another car to take bits off it and make the accident damaged one repaired and it can then be sold for full price, all nice and legally - money in the bank, no worries about trying to fiddle registration numbers or VIN identification like trying to sell a stolen car.

Sadly the RAV was quite 'rare' at first so under the radar for thieves, not worth developing hacks or any damaged vehicle supply to repair. But now they are very common and expensive so will be increasingly targeted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, atartan said:

That’s an important question now, whether they wanted the whole car or just some parts?  
What was exactly missing from the car? 

Because there are parts shortages worldwide and highest ever demand for salvage cars as obviously the industry is overheated with demand for new and used cars with very small amount of cars available and ultra long delivery times. Basically the repairers  ask thieves to steal parts from cars from the street instead of waiting months for parts orders. Everything looks very similar to the cat thefts. Next will be the traction batteries as it’s already a thing across the pond. 
The fellow member who got his Corolla stolen went missing in seconds the whole car, likely to be similarly taken away but thieves seemed the needed the whole car as it has never been found and recovered, not even a signal or location other than last parked one. 😶