Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

I have used a Disklock (I went for this one as it is police approved) for a number of years and it has a number of advantages.  Firstly, it is a visible deterrent secondly it protects the air bag and thirdly it can be moved from car to car.  The one I use was first used on a Honda Civic, then moved to a Honda CRV and, since February, on my Aygo.   

• Like 1

My work mate has a physical disk lock type device on his 70 plate Puma.  A visible deterrent is good but I guess it wouldnt stop trim or exterior parts being nicked.

• Like 2

I hope they improved the design of the newer diskloks, cos remember when they first came out they could be still removed/beaten in minutes. You could 'improve' them if you were handy with a welder. I got another thatcham approved lock back then as disklok was just too bulky for me, but as said it just a deterrent so hopefully move on to something else. 

Remember many years ago even with an alarm and wheel lock, somebody still knicked my fancy shiney tyre valve covers, is nothing safe! 

• Like 1

I think the point of these visual protection devices is that they are ‘visual’. Enough to put off the casual ‘need a ride home’ merchant but never the profession who is probably knocking off the car to order. The profession will have all the skills needed for a specific target vehicle.

• Like 4

The best is to make the thieves not stopping by, how would you do that, I don’t really know, but it is always the best that can happen. I don’t want someone to get inside my car and abuse it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

I don’t want someone to get inside my car and abuse it. 

My car is quite sensitive to abuse - bloody thing!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Treated myself to a Stoplock Pro this afternoon.  Hopefully will persuade any potential thief to try the easier target up the road.  I decided not to get the Elite version as this one fits much better.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So whilst JLR  vehicles are; "bling", "trendy" and "desirable" they are also the least reliable, least practicable and now it's  advised are also most likely to be stolen. Yet the UK motor press still  praises JLR and criticises Toyota (which is the best selling SUV worldwide). Go figure.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, John Allen said:

Treated myself to a Stoplock Pro this afternoon.  Hopefully will persuade any potential thief to try the easier target up the road.  I decided not to get the Elite version as this one fits much better.

I have one of these in the back of my 1987 Golf GTi John, must have had it for about 30 years, never thought that I would need to use it in a 2021 hi tech vehicle 😀

• Like 5

Amazing Land Rovers are so forgiven by the motoring press for their utter unreliability, a disservice to the would be buyers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NASY said:

Amazing Land Rovers are so forgiven by the motoring press for their utter unreliability, a disservice to the would be buyers.

Badge image, same as certain people desperate to own an Audi - its all about that Badge & so called social status. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NASY said:

Landrovers have had the Royal seal of approval for years John 👍

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Badge image, same as certain people desperate to own an Audi - its all about that badge & so called social status. 

It never used to be Lee, only over the last 15 years or so when pcp's, etc made it easier for the chavs to buy them 😀

I've had a few Landrovers, first was 1998 and last 2015, and seen the different calibre of owner change somewhat dramatically ☹️

• Like 1

I’d never own a LR again having had some appalling reliability issues and the dealers who were only interesting in making a fast buck. On one occasion when I had a Freelander and the fuel pump was going to be replaced for the third time they fitted one from a wreck that had been towed to the garage. Luckily for me one of the service guys passed me and whispered what had happened.

I was on holiday many ago when I had a new Skoda Yeti and my son a new Audi A class, which he felt was so much better than my Yeti. Parked side by side people gathered around mine and totally ignored his, he was even more put out out when someone knocked and ask if I could tell him about the car and what I thought of it. Badge pride covers a lot of poor reliability.

• Like 3

Well, I never realised quite how much a Badge means to people. Reminds me when I bought my first Rolex 35 years ago because I just wanted a robust, reliable working tool that I liked the look of. So the Submariner fitted the bill and I negotiated 10 percent discount for not using a credit card. No-one cared what watch anyone wore then or if you drove a Land Rover either, which I did for vehicle recovery and towing. I was brought to Toyota by way of introduction through owning a Lexus, so good that I thought time to go to the mother ship, maybe I'm missing the part of the brain that reacts to badges like it does to chocolate.

• Like 4

Seems to be a few different lockable OBD port covers out there, anyone recommend one over the next one?

On 10/6/2022 at 12:07 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

My car is quite sensitive to abuse - !Removed! thing!

Well, for you maybe funny but for me it’s not. If that was my rav4 I would have refused to take it back and push insurance for new replacement or dealer repair and immediate exchange for something else afterwards. Once a car been broken in and stolen, with broken or missing parts , this is not the same car anymore, at least not TonyHSD”s car. 👍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NASY said:

That must be the answer to car theft then, you can't drive off in a car that is broken down, as so many of them are.😅

Well to be fair , most of the broken down ones seem to be the range rover or discovery or Freelander types.

My pal had a range rover diesel, around 11 reg if I remember, this in 2015, so not old.

I went with him to the local dealer for the free "health check" I still rip the Mick out of him to this day,as the printer churning out the pages of faults ran out of paper.

Mind you it did have TV/DVD screens in the back of the front seats though, so there was something to watch while waiting for breakdown recovery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 10/7/2022 at 4:10 PM, Bill65 said:

Seems to be a few different lockable OBD port covers out there, anyone recommend one over the next one?

Has anyone actually fitted one of these?

7 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Has anyone actually fitted one of these?

I've looked at them but not happy that the screws are self tapping types and therefor not sure how long they will last.  The manufactures data seems to suggest, I think, 200 inserts/removals. Unless someone who's fitted one knows different?

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 4:10 PM, Bill65 said:

Thieves do not view these as we would do.

Years ago, when radios needed pins to remove them, that (20 seconds?) was too long for the thieves. They grabbed the dash under the radio and ripped it upwards - 5 seconds perhaps. and made off with the radio (VW Polo's). That radio got them a few bottles of beer or a little bit of drugs.

For the owner? An expensive insurance claim as they now needed a complete new dashboard as well as a radio.

I can't see a lockable cover deterring them - after all, they only know about the cover once they are in the car - it won't stop them. Just giving you false hope as a deterrent in my opinion. 

• Like 4

On 10/6/2022 at 9:38 AM, Puglet said:

I hope they improved the design of the newer diskloks, cos remember when they first came out they could be still removed/beaten in minutes. You could 'improve' them if you were handy with a welder. I got another thatcham approved lock back then as disklok was just too bulky for me, but as said it just a deterrent so hopefully move on to something else. 

Remember many years ago even with an alarm and wheel lock, somebody still knicked my fancy shiney tyre valve covers, is nothing safe! 

I have purchased my Diskloc in 2016 and have been using it ever since.  It is police approved and I cannot see how it can be defeated in a matter of minutes.    Of course, that does not stop someone coming along with a recover truck and jacking up the front wheels, so nothing is perfect.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:27 PM, Hybrid21 said:

This actually did happen to us years ago when we went to the motorshow in the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow. When parking the car we were approached by some young kids who offered to watch the car for 50P.

After quickly weighing up my options, I agreed 🤔

I remember my dad taking me to see Spurs V Chelsea in 1972 and even then the going price of the local oiks to "watch your car" was £1.

• Like 1

Just looked at the prices of diskloks these days.  Blimey.

I guess those cheap extender ones that grip the wheel are not much use?  They are like a tenth of the price.

• Like 2