Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Just ordered this: Milenco HS Yellow Steering Wheel Lock it's on the police approved list and the previous model had been Thatcham approved, prior to making some material upgrades.  I'm sure someone could easily just cut off part of the steering wheel etc. but it's very visual and has some good reviews. I'll report back when it arrives next week.

• Like 4

60 quid yeah thats not too bad.  I was seeing diskloks at £150 and then crappy extender things for like 13 quid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Just looked at the prices of diskloks these days.  Blimey.

I guess those cheap extender ones that grip the wheel are not much use?  They are like a tenth of the price.

Just watched the demo video on the manuafacturer's website.

Have to say it look really good as a deterrent.

Will definately order now because by the time new RAV4 PHEV is delivered, the price of the disclock will have gone up even more ( RAV4 lead time HUGE !!! )

• Like 2

OK, the MILECO steering wheel lock just arrived. It’s a solid bit of kit which comes with 3 stainless steel security keys. Fitting was easy which I tried at the top of the wheel, insert key (completely, with a slight push) and it unlocks the black handle with a twist, the two bright steel pins go through the face of the wheel, rotating the handle in the opposite direction locks the yellow bar behind the wheel.

I also tried locking it over one of the spokes of the wheel to see if there is room and it comfortably fitted.

It’s police recommended, Sold Secure Automotive gold and says it’s tested at 2.5 times the Thatcham Cat 3.

It can be bought in a grey colour or the yellow, I bought mine from Amazon for about £64 delivered in a few days.

It could no doubt be cut out of the steering wheel or used to mangle the wheel but overall it’s very visible. 

BABCD51C-F041-48A8-AEAC-33B657A9AE47.jpeg

B7F2D6C3-67E2-45AE-9AB9-B485A7F788B0.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:00 PM, ernieb said:

OK, the MILECO steering wheel lock just arrived. It’s a solid bit of kit which comes with 3 stainless steel security keys. Fitting was easy which I tried at the top of the wheel, insert key (completely, with a slight push) and it unlocks the black handle with a twist, the two bright steel pins go through the face of the wheel, rotating the handle in the opposite direction locks the yellow bar behind the wheel.

I also tried locking it over one of the spokes of the wheel to see if there is room and it comfortably fitted.

It’s police recommended, Sold Secure Automotive gold and says it’s tested at 2.5 times the Thatcham Cat 3.

It can be bought in a grey colour or the yellow, I bought mine from Amazon for about £64 delivered in a few days.

It could no doubt be cut out of the steering wheel or used to mangle the wheel but overall it’s very visible. 

BABCD51C-F041-48A8-AEAC-33B657A9AE47.jpeg

B7F2D6C3-67E2-45AE-9AB9-B485A7F788B0.jpeg

It looks like it could be used as an effective deterrent against a thief even when not attached to the steering wheel LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, srt said:

It looks like it could be used as an effective deterrent against a thief even when not attached to the steering wheel LOL.

Just as good if not better than a baseball bat, it’s certainly solid.

• Like 2

Bonus being that you would have it in the car with reasonable excuse so it is not an offensive weapon being there handy.

• Like 5

Just for info and comparative purposes.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/95031/best-steering-wheel-locks-20212022

I initially went with the Stoplock Pro Elite but swapped it for the Pro (non Elite). It's the same thing but with less bend in the shaft and it fits the RAV steering wheel better. IMO.

I particularly liked that it resisted all of the testers attempts to remove it and for £50 it seemed like a no-brainer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps to give perhaps a little peace of mind...

The local constabulary have a small team who are responsible for collecting and analysing vehicle crime data. It includes all sorts of theft reports, both vehicle and catalytic converters etc and it is used to inform the teams that direct resourcing for divisional policing - deterrent or catch in the act.

I inquired about the frequency and/or circumstances related to theft of vehicles or cats from RAV4s and was told that it is virtually unheard of (here at least).

Still, a little extra security never hurts.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had my second rav stolen from outside my house having bought Faraday pouches and a Faraday box but this does not seemed to of deterred them.the my Toyota tracker shows it still outside my house ..I won’t buy another…shame

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Really sorry. 

The pouches doesn't stop it from being stolen because the thief are by passing the canbus by the headlight. No way should u get another rav4 with this system. 

• Like 1

The built in My T Toyota location service shouldn't be relied on to track the vehicle.

My T currently shows my car is at home which it isn't.

I wonder if Toyota could come up with some kind of software update to stop these attacks over the CAN? 

• Like 2

Can bus is an open protocol so you can't secure it, no software patch will cure a hardware problem,

shield or relocate the wiring, move the electronics in the headlight to a relocated module

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Can bus is an open protocol so you can't secure it, no software patch will cure a hardware problem,

shield or relocate the wiring, move the electronics in the headlight to a relocated module

How many different / separate CAN networks are there on a Rav 4?

One CAN network and various other types of network, once you have access to the CAN you can control the car

it may be possible to isolate the CAN to the headlights but you would also need to isolate the CAN at the obd2 port

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

One CAN network

😳

One CAN network seems a bit insecure but likely reduces costs.

Toyota latest electric counter balance forklift has 3 separate CAN networks as there are nodes they want to keep separate from each other.

2 separate CAN networks on BT Toyota products again to keep nodes separate from each other has been the norm for around 15 years.

I think the ‘open’ CAN was an EU requirement?

Having a smart secure or dual CAN is unlikely to stop car crime in the game of attrition between crooks and security the crocks will always find a way around even the most systems.

As I’ve posted before I’ve invested in a MILECO steering wheel bar at least a visible deterrent which can obviously be defeated by cutting the steering wheel but does advertise to any potential crook that the car has addition protection and they don’t know it’s just what that might be.

• Like 3

I bought a couple of these stickers. Visual deterrent. Might put some off. 

665CEC10-4D90-47D0-A146-69297C889C30.jpeg

• Like 2

There is no treatment against these thefts especially when it’s so easily done. Two major factors here, not properly secure car by the manufacturer and place you live. Very similar story to the cat converters thefts. Not really a Toyota fault, at least not entirely. Sorry to everyone that has its car damaged or nicked. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Louie10 said:

I have just had my second rav stolen from outside my house having bought faraday pouches and a faraday box but this does not seemed to of deterred them.the my Toyota tracker shows it still outside my house ..I won’t buy another…shame

May I ask what RAV year and model and also from where (roughly) within "Greater London" it was stolen?

Thanks.

Louie,

Did you have a visible deterrent like a steering wheel lock fitted? It would seem the best deterrents will always be highly visual and somewhat clunky, as the thieves get off on tech nowadays as it takes little in the way of physical effort.

14 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

May I ask what RAV year and model and also from where (roughly) within "Greater London" it was stolen?

Thanks.

8C809AE7-20D8-4545-BD22-F2BD40514643.png

Just now, Louie10 said:

8C809AE7-20D8-4545-BD22-F2BD40514643.png

South London…so I know very little about what’s going on but I have read as many things on here as I possibly can..if I do get another rav is the anything I can do to stop this mindless theft ?