Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

12 hours ago, NASY said:

Louie,

Did you have a visible deterrent like a steering wheel lock fitted? It would seem the best deterrents will always be highly visual and somewhat clunky, as the thieves get off on tech nowadays as it takes little in the way of physical effort.

Unfortunately not 

Has anyone considered the alarms you can get for sheds/garages?

They are cheap but give off a loud siren noise and can be turn off and on with a key fob, now I know they could be easily removed from the car but the alarm would go off before it was found and they are completely separate from the car system so the thieves would not be expecting them and would probably not want to hang around too long with it going off.

• Like 1

I had my RAV4 stolen last week from in front of my house, no steering wheel lock. Surveillance camera shows the thieves played around with the front headlight, and there was a bang ( MyT says hybrid system serious failure and sonar failure) After that, they simply open the door and drive away, no alarm or warning. Took less than a minute.

MyT app showed the location where the car was dumped, and recovered. Inside the right hand side drivers panel was ripped open and wires out. MyT app shows the car is still where it was dumped. 

watching the footage, the car looks so easily stolen it’s ridiculous 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Louie10 said:

South London…so I know very little about what’s going on but I have read as many things on here as I possibly can..if I do get another rav is the anything I can do to stop this mindless theft ?

A good steering wheel lock (see previous reviews link), whilst a PITA for the owner is about as good as it can be. Without that, if the thief can get access to the CAN then they can take the car, seemingly at will.

Unfortunately there seems to be little else that can be done to stop this at this time. For now, the best that seems possible is to make the car less attractive to a thief than another similar car and a visible deterrent may mean that they just move on.

Any car can be stolen so it comes down to just how much they want that particular car and how much effort they are prepared to put into getting it.

1 hour ago, babodonk said:

Along with most other models from other manufacturers.

I had my RAV4 stolen last week from in front of my house, no steering wheel lock. Surveillance camera shows the thieves played around with the front headlight, and there was a bang ( MyT says hybrid system serious failure and sonar failure) After that, they simply open the door and drive away, no alarm or warning. Took less than a minute.

MyT app showed the location where the car was dumped, and recovered. Inside the right hand side drivers panel was ripped open and wires out. MyT app shows the car is still where it was dumped. 

The "bang" sounds interesting, as if something was shorted. The hybrid system serious failure may lend weight to that.

Was your head unit removed or displaced at all? Previous posts have suggested that they may have tried to disable the tracking by disconnecting the GPS at the head unit but they may have moved on to attempting the same thing via the drivers panel (presumably you mean the driver side kick panel?).

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Along with most other models from other manufacturers.

Exactly, this is a universal problem.

Shame the %$(ers don't get the full weight of the hybrid electric and end up in hospital frankly.

It needs a 3rd party alarm preferably with a tracker (gsm/rf) that is Thatcham approved or secure by design

Every report I've read be it a Rav 4 or various Lexus products it's always the left hand front headlamp area - I take it the attack isn't viable from the right hand side?

4 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

The "bang" sounds interesting, as if something was shorted. The hybrid system serious failure may lend weight to that.

Was your head unit removed or displaced at all? Previous posts have suggested that they may have tried to disable the tracking by disconnecting the GPS at the head unit but they may have moved on to attempting the same thing via the drivers panel (presumably you mean the driver side kick panel?).

The drivers side pillar, which frames the windscreen, was pulled out and the wires out. 

I have a suggestion of possible way to immobilise the vehicles. The problem is my 75 year old brain has lost the capacity to work it out. I am a long retired electronics/computer engineer. Hopefully there is somebody on the forum with the skills to say good idea/will work   bad idea /won't work. Stick with your pipe and slippers🤔

My suggestion is, using a simple hidden switch is it possible to tie a logic level on the canbus to say zero or one, through a resistor and thus stop the thief's ability to start the vehicle without a key. 

I realise this may cause other problems ie disable the car alarm, not be able to unlock the car etc 

Just a thought. 

The drivers side pillar, which frames the windscreen, was pulled out and the wires out. 

To me, that sounds like they were looking to disable either the GPS or the GSM phone data connection. It feels like they still have parts of the puzzle missing, from their perspective.

• Like 1

Okay so I think it is coming over loud and clear that only physical deterrents are going to convince these awful people to move on to some other unfortunate owners car. Physical deterrents that shout out their presence to avoid even the first stage of an attempt, which could cause damage though not loss. We are not going to get rid of these people anytime soon just like we are unable to get protesters against oil to think strategically or countenance inconvenient truths.

Hmm, I think I have an old wheelclamp in the shed somewhere from when we dabbled with caravaning...

Maybe we could get a new round of club stickers with MAGNAVOLT: LETHAL RESPONSE on them to stick in our windows... :whistling1:

• Haha 3

Somebody on one of the motorhome home forums said he bought an OBD Port with a length of loom attached to it from a scrap yard,  removed his OBD port from its mounted position and pushed it out the way behind the dash and put the other one in its place.  Would have given any thief a who tried to get info from it a bit of a puzzle to solve.  Just a thought as a possible helpful measure.  Obviously a bit of a pain when the vehicle needed servicing or roadside attention as it would have to be physically re-exposed but more than worth it if it prevents theft.  Obviously statistics come into play with this.  Where Nathan lives is maybe an area with a much higher proportion of thefts.  Anyway my heart goes out to you Nathan, it must be devastating as well as B***s aching and expensive.

• Like 2

OBD port isn't the weak link in these Toyota / Lexus CAN invader thefts so relocating the OBD port won't stop it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Hmm, I think I have an old wheelclamp in the shed somewhere from when we dabbled with caravaning...

Maybe we could get a new round of club stickers with MAGNAVOLT: LETHAL RESPONSE on them to stick in our windows... :whistling1:

How about those pipes fixed under the car that shoot out a wall of flame on both sides that they had in South Africa to put car hijackers off?

Hmm maybe not thinking about it, roasted car thief would probably add to co2 and contribute to global warming.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

OBD port isn't the weak link in these Toyota / Lexus CAN invader thefts so relocating the OBD port won't stop it.

I think they still need to access the obd port to enable virtual key cloning after they gain access?

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Please educate me I must be missing something.  Do they not need access to the OBD port to either clone a key or plug in some illegal electrical gizmo to start the car?

I think they ‘talk’ to the Canbus via the leads to the front lights.

• Like 1

Someone somewhere has worked out how to defeat the Toyota / Lexus security systems over the CAN & developed a device to carry out the attacks.

It's a massive problem over in Japan & seems to now be spreading to other areas around the world.

Japanese Police reportedly have recovered one of these devices so hopefully they will share there findings with Toyota / Lexus.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Maybe time to think about Ghost 2?

Has Autowatch tested & confirmed if Ghost 2 would stop a CAN attack with this exploit?