Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Back in the late 1970s (I know, don't say it) I had a Mk2 3 door Ford Capri.  You could open a Ford in those days by just giving it a hard stare.  I had deadlocks fitted low down on the doors and on the tailgate.  A couple of times I found the car unlocked and the door open about 5mm (to where the deadlock stopped it).  obviously you had to manually lock and unlock all the locks to be totally safe in the event of an accident but that was a small price to pay for the peace of mind.  Maybe we will have to go back to that sort of thing.  In the meanwhile I hope some accessory wizzard is designing steel wheel arch liners that can be retrofitted to at least encourage the thieves to try a different car.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Has Autowatch tested & confirmed if Ghost 2 would stop a CAN attack with this exploit? 

I’ve not seen anything to confirm that but they include Toyota on the list of vehicles that they say can be protected and state something like 0.02% of vehicle’s fitted have been stolen. Of the stolen ones there seems to be little evidence that the system itself has failed, poor installation, not armed, the device located seem the likely reasons.

Unless  anyone knows different or has had one fitted?

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I’ve not seen anything to confirm that but they include Toyota on the list of vehicles that they say can be protected and state something like 0.02% of vehicle’s fitted have been stolen. Of the stolen ones there seems to be little evidence that the system itself has failed, poor installation, not armed, the device located seem the likely reasons.

Unless  anyone knows different or has had one fitted?

I will like to install the ghost 2 if I am sure it will work perfectly. Please is there anyone who has installed it to rav4 2022?

17 minutes ago, Akjon said:

I will like to install the ghost 2 if I am sure it will work perfectly. Please is there anyone who has installed it to rav4 2022?

Please any expert in the house? I have been introduced to this one.

I received the Milenco steering wheel device today. It is certainly very strong and heavy and I would think that driving with it on would be a bit troublesome, if not impossible.

12 hours ago, ROCKETRON said:

I received the Milenco steering wheel device today. It is certainly very strong and heavy and I would think that driving with it on would be a bit troublesome, if not impossible.

It's also pretty easy to use, I like the way the locking pins swivel sideways to give easy fitting. It's also a very visible sign that there is extra protection.

13 hours ago, ROCKETRON said:

The StopLock Pro is a good alternative and either should provide a reasonable deterrent.

image.thumb.jpeg.711bc4f4150cc56f5831635a9d4f8d90.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Rav4 excel 22 model 15 November 2022 last week my car was stolen outside my house. Next morning my neighbour told me that his rav4 was stolen on same night as well then I gooled and realised that this car is very easy to steel.i think we should take toyota to the court such a big establishment doing nothing to stop rav4 theft 

25 minutes ago, Mubarik Ali said:

i think we should take toyota to the court such a big establishment doing nothing to stop rav4 theft 

Of course this is down to individual owners. I would suggest that Toyota have comparative security to other manufacturers.

So what additional steps have you taken to deter theives??

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mubarik Ali said:

I bought Rav4 excel 22 model 15 November 2022 last week my car was stolen outside my house. Next morning my neighbour told me that his rav4 was stolen on same night as well then I gooled and realised that this car is very easy to steel.i think we should take toyota to the court such a big establishment doing nothing to stop rav4 theft 

Where in London are you?

Did you have the keys asleep, in a Faraday pouch or other signal blocking container?
Does My-T show the location of the car?
Same questions for your neighbour.

It would be good to know the answers to these questions so that we can judge whether the cars were taken by CANBUS method or by relay attack.

Thanks

• Like 1

What spec these stolen cars have? Are the thieves stealing higher spec like Excel or they are stealing base level Icon as well? 

What is the motive behind these stealing? Do they want to expect these cars to other countries or they just want to resale inside UK after cloning VIN etc.? 

Compared to other similar cars, is RAV4 really an easy target? Is it faulty design of RAV4 or these cars are targets for other reasons? 

Using steering lock etc. is a big faff and drivers should not be expected to do that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mobi said:

Using steering lock etc. is a big faff and drivers should not be expected to do that.

In fact the use of steering wheel locks is precisely the advice the Police provide - whatever the car or spec is.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mobi said:

Compared to other similar cars, is RAV4 really an easy target? Is it faulty design of RAV4 or these cars are targets for other reasons? 

Someone has figured out a device to defeat the Toyota / Lexus security system over the CAN system. 

it's a massive problem in Japan & is now spreading to other areas of the globe.

Japanese Police recovered one of the devices used & hopefully will share the information with Toyota.

JLR suffer the same, every time JLR update there security systems shortly afterwards a new improved & updated theft device appears for the criminals to defeat it.

People targeting certain cars with speciality electronic devices is nothing new, many years ago someone got a device to defeat Rover security systems, stole them from dealer forecourts over night then broke them for parts as they saw a gap in the market for the parts.

55 minutes ago, mobi said:

…….. Using steering lock etc. is a big faff and drivers should not be expected to do that. 

I don’t find it problematic to fit and lock/unlock the Milenco steering wheel lock. Toyota are not by any means the only car making having issues with car thefts.

• Like 1

I wonder if the wiring could be re-routed or have some sort of armoured sheath wrapped around it?

Maybe seal the area with explosive bolts? :naughty: 

Or cover it in tar and capsaicin...

• Like 2

It has been 3 months since my car was stolen and Toyota couldn't figure out whats wrong with the GPS antenna and they keep ordering new parts.... my car sits in one of their service center in last 3 months..... What a s...t show... I would never buy a Toyota again..

That is poor but frankly not just likely to be a feature of Toyota service. As I’ve said elsewhere other manufacturers are just as likely to be unable to fix cars where the underlying course is technology related. If the OBD port analysis does not specifically point to a known failure it needs someone who really understands how the car functions. It’s unlikely that any of today’s breed of cars will be doing Brighton Run in a hundred years time.

• Like 2

In many other car forums there are representatives from manufacturers where you can expedite issue resolution.

Does Toyota customer service not follow threads here??

You have been through a rough ordeal. Have you thought about just selling it back to them? Maybe the price isn't as good as selling privately or via motorway once fixed etc. It's unfortunate that a major security weakness have been found by criminals. 

There are other toyotas that may not have this vulnerability, though may not suit the size you would like. The other car make I would go for in the RAV4 size is the Kia Sportage hybrid. 

4 minutes ago, mobi said:

Does Toyota customer service not follow threads here??

No. Toyota doesn't visit the Club. The only occasion in my memory since 2008, has been when they wanted to carry out a survey, and the staff member (not customer services) responsible actually joined as a member for the duration of the survey.

There is an ask a Toyota owners  forum run by Toyota, but they do not even respond to comments on there. They maybe do note the comments but only in the background. There is no feedback directly to posts.

Manufacturers may not always foresee design faults, which is acceptable. However, when they refuse to set this right when multiple owners suffer same problem, then it becomes regrettable. 

Perhaps Toyota should do a recall to apply a fix to all cars which suffer from this.

I believe Toyota uk employee visit this forum as often as I do and they read thoroughly each and every important post. This doesn’t mean they will post something, help someone or uncover themselves and advise anything. They simply select and collect vital information then past to whoever is next this. 
If it was me and my car was abused by thieves I wouldn’t take it back at all and get my money from the insurance and move on. Once a car been broken in and anything damaged like in the op case this car will never be the same.