Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Agree the silver hybrid fob is just cosmetic. My 2018 had both but didn’t have sleep function. The silver key fob cover is listed as an accessory so you can have two. Toyota must only provide one to save a few pence  

28 minutes ago, robo1 said:

Toyota must only provide one to save a few pence  

The 2022 Excel has both covered front and back, good to know I got something for the extra cost.😁

14 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

My 2019 RAV4 had an all Black key. My 2021 (which should have the anti scan key) is Silver and Black so the design clearly changed. What is your key like?

IMG_1952.jpeg

IMG_1951.jpeg

I have the excel registered December 2020 but came with the 19 inch wheels so 21 model. Got one silver fob and one black but as others have said it's a silver cover that you can purchase separately.

checked this morning and the fob goes to sleep if not moved and you can't unlock the car. Don't know how long it took to go to sleep as I hung it on the back wiper and came back 20 minutes later.

Terry

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

I have the excel registered December 2020 but came with the 19 inch wheels so 21 model. Got one silver fob and one black but as others have said it's a silver cover that you can purchase separately.

checked this morning and the fob goes to sleep if not moved and you can't unlock the car. Don't know how long it took to go to sleep as I hung it on the back wiper and came back 20 minutes later.

Terry

Tested mine some time ago and it was 4 minutes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nlee said:

Tested mine some time ago and it was 4 minutes.

Good to know. Thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Both Keys the same.

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

Yup both of mine like this too. It doesn't look like a cover to me. It could be though, mine being a lease perhaps they specify the covers option to keep the keys in good condition for resale..

• Like 1

I thought my keys were colour coded / matched to my car...IMG_20221026_170135_HDR.thumb.jpg.79e73f30bca632bc94a01d60cad1ec63.jpg

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Vainona70 said:

I thought my keys were colour coded / matched to my car...IMG_20221026_170135_HDR.thumb.jpg.79e73f30bca632bc94a01d60cad1ec63.jpg

In that case, I want Black keys back again!  ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A long but very interesting thread.

On my to-do list is to put retractable barriers on my driveway that retract into the ground. Of course, that doesn't protect the vehicle elsewhere.

In addition to the steering lock, has anyone considered a pedal-blocker that goes under both the brake and accelerator, and locks to the pedals, so they can't be pressed?? It would be a PITA to remove, too.

• Like 1

Steering lock and pedal-blockers!!!!!!
can you still get pedal- blockers??
It will be the day ( or night ) that you forget to use any of them that it gets stolen . Called "Sods Law"

Personally more comfortable to know that my key goes to sleep after a few minutes but won't be totally happy until I get that wiring access blocked off.

Had a reply from Toyota about how easy the Rav is to steal and quite frankly disgusted at how dismissive they were .Don't expect a recall anytime soon guys

Terry

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Steering lock and pedal-blockers!!!!!!
can you still get pedal- blockers??
It will be the day ( or night ) that you forget to use any of them that it gets stolen . Called "Sods Law"

Personally more comfortable to know that my key goes to sleep after a few minutes but won't be totally happy until I get that wiring access blocked off.

Had a reply from Toyota about how easy the Rav is to steal and quite frankly disgusted at how dismissive they were .Don't expect a recall anytime soon guys

Terry

Toyota UK seem to have more than a few problems!!! No Prius or Corolla Cross, and dismissive of a serious security problem with their vehicles.

Pedal locks are definitely a thing, and these look pretty universal. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073CJ6YFP

• Like 1

I would have thought that the downside of pedal blockers are that they wouldn't be truly visible from outside the car, unlike a steering wheel lock. It might stop the car being taken, but by then they might have already ripped out the wheel arch liner plus whatever other damage they do.

• Like 3

Got to agree that visible deterrents are going to be the best but need to be used 100% of the time.

Wouldnt work for me personally but the trade off with anything else is that you risk the wheel arch damage.

Wander if some sort of warning stickers may help

Terry

Hmmmm.... this video was posted by someone else in a new thread but it seems to have disappeared. So, I'll repost here for general edification.

It's Dutch but translatable. It shows the theft process and AFAICT it is as I thought, the box uses the CAN to indicate that a valid key is present. Almost unbelievable but it really does seem to be as simple as that.

• Like 3

Maybe for now taped that connector up as much as possible and cable tie it to somewhere so it cannot be pull out easily until a better solution comes up. Perhaps a box plastic/metal covers it, secure by nuts/bolts etc. 

The item that he was holding is his hand at the end of the video looks very similar (physically) to other CAN protection devices - Ghost etc. It would be installed in the car in a discrete location and, I gather, it interrupts and manages certain CAN traffic thereby protecting the car. Precise details will be commercially sensitive information so I do not expect them to divulge the workings... but I have asked.

How it is installed in the car's wiring and what effect that may or may not have on the warranty are also questions that need to be asked.

Oh, and price. These devices are generally not cheap...

... and then they still leave the problem of the car being targeted anyway because the thieves won't know about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

The item that he was holding is his hand at the end of the video looks very similar (physically) to other CAN protection devices - Ghost etc. It would be installed in the car in a discrete location and, I gather, it interrupts and manages certain CAN traffic thereby protecting the car. Precise details will be commercially sensitive information so I do not expect them to divulge the workings... but I have asked.

How it is installed in the car's wiring and what effect that may or may not have on the warranty are also questions that need to be asked.

Oh, and price. These devices are generally not cheap...

... and then they still leave the problem of the car being targeted anyway because the thieves won't know about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi

Already been there in this topic, I checked with Toyota and the Ghost 2 will not affect the warranty unless it is proved to have specifically caused a problem.

The Ghost 2 is not cut into the wiring of the car and is obviously hidden away. It can't be detected by any current scanner as it does not give off a signature.

You can put it into valet mode when the car goes for service.

Cost is £450/ £499 installed. Terry

1 minute ago, Terry10 said:

Hi

Already been there in this topic, I checked with Toyota and the Ghost 2 will not affect the warranty unless it is proved to have specifically caused a problem.

The Ghost 2 is not cut into the wiring of the car and is obviously hidden away. It can't be detected by any current scanner as it does not give off a signature.

You can put it into valet mode when the car goes for service.

Cost is £450/ £499 installed. Terry

Has Autowatch confirmed in writing that there Ghost 2 product will stop these CAN invader thefts on Toyota / Lexus products? 

Has Autowatch tested there product against this known theft method? 

48 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Has Autowatch confirmed in writing that there Ghost 2 product will stop these CAN invader thefts on Toyota / Lexus products? 

Has Autowatch tested there product against this known theft method? 

Yes, I had online chat with them and they assured me that the car simply will not start unless your specific code that you choose using existing buttons on the steering wheel are used.

As others have said though you still get the damage from forced entry.

Terry

I think the Ghost 2 looks on paper to be a good product but have read somewhere that fitters tend to fit in the same places for a specific car allowing 'people' to guess the location to bypass.

Reply from CARlectra:

You will find the quotation for your Toyota RAV 4 in the attachment. The assembly can be done at one of our locations in Ulft or Duiven in the Netherlands. In addition, we have various sales and installation points in the Netherlands and Europe, such as installation stations and Toyota dealers. If you indicate where you come from, I can indicate what will be best for you. And finally, if you have your own indoor space, our technicians can come and carry it out on location.

How the system works: We have managed to analyze the signals used with this theft method / the "leak", we stop these signals on the canbus, making this method no longer possible. In addition, we have installed an extra digital immobilizer which is released by a bluetooth transponder.

You don't actually notice that the system is in the car.

The quote was for €499 fitted, so on par with similar systems. Not sure that I will be travelling to the Netherlands for fitting but it does look like an interesting product and I prefer the idea of a BT transponder to a code entered via the buttons.

If, as suggested, the solution is to interrupt the signals on the CANbus then it should be possible for Toyota to implement something similar. I suspect the bean counters are already weighing wether it is worthwhile... and I am not holding my breath.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

How the system works: We have managed to analyze the signals used with this theft method / the "leak", we stop these signals on the canbus

Wonder if they have done any checks to make sure that their blocking of signals on the CANbus does not interfere with other time critical uses of the CANbus such as airbag deployment. ( plenty of examples around of unintended problems caused by software upgrades). 
Suspect Toyota will not endorse without further tests being carried out. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links