Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Blimey they made a meal out of stealing that one - professionals are normally away faster then that. 

On 12/13/2022 at 9:54 AM, Yugguy1970 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say this is an easy steal.  Yes, perhaps for criminals with knowledge and tools but not for your average !Removed!.

Not an easy steal when the car is gone in less that 2 minutes? As far as I'm concerned this box is not an expensive piece of equipment vs suitcase theft, so every lowlife will be able to afford it and this is the most scary thing.

• Like 1

I saw that. I thought the previous thoughts were that a key needed to be programmed via access to the OBD port once access had been gained. This doesn't appear to happen here, they drive off straight away. Although the video has clearly been edited because the 2nd guy teleports at some point.

1 minute ago, nlee said:

I saw that. I thought the previous thoughts were that a key needed to be programmed via access to the OBD port once access had been gained. This doesn't appear to happen here, they drive off straight away. Although the video has clearly been edited because the 2nd guy teleports at some point.

Maybe they program a new fob at this stage? 

BTW Is there a reason why it's always the left lamp? Is the wire harness routed more accessible way on this side of the car?

• Like 2

yeah I'd like to see raw footage and know what is actually required beforehand.  It still feels like this has to be a targetted theft, not opportunistic, or maybe they do wander around with a laptop and key blanks in a bag?

But yes, it does seem to be a strange lapse in Toyota tech design, which is usually very well thought-out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

yeah I'd like to see raw footage and know what is actually required beforehand.

Only thing is in this age of social media and YouTube (unfortunately these types of forums too) is sharing of this type of video and highlighting vulnerabilities is like giving budding thieves an instruction manual.

Not suggesting we can stop it, it'll get posted somewhere.

There is indeed a chunk of footage missing so it does give a false sense of how quickly it happened. There is clearly more in there than we can see, not that it would help much.

South London again. I wonder when that was?

6 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

There is indeed a chuck of footage missing so it does give a false sense of how quickly it happened. There is clearly more in there than we can see, not that it would help much.

The reported theft on the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid UK Facebook group was on the 7th Dec from Stepney Green. The video was not his vehicle being stolen, the OP posted it as he thought his had been stolen in the same way. There's no indication of the date of the video.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kucyk said:

BTW Is there a reason why it's always the left lamp? Is the wire harness routed more accessible way on this side of the car?

Yes ... that appears to be the case for this specific style of theft.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nlee said:

Only thing is in this age of social media and YouTube (unfortunately these types of forums too) is sharing of this type of video and highlighting vulnerabilities is like giving budding thieves an instruction manual.

Not suggesting we can stop it, it'll get posted somewhere.

I would say this post and videos  are informing people about how easy to steal these cars.I am sure many here on this forum purchased additional security devices  after seeing the posts.. which makes the job difficult for the thieves . 

I have no knowledge of device being used to steal these cars  and it is not described in any of the posts here.  I dont know how someone would figure out how to steal a car by just looking at 1 min video

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

There is indeed a chunk of footage missing so it does give a false sense of how quickly it happened. There is clearly more in there than we can see, not that it would help much.

There is another video footage on the first page of this post. It took more or less the same time  to steal RAV4. Whether it is 1 minute or 5, It is clearly not difficult  to open the doors and start the car without the key.

• Like 1

I spoke to a mechanic this morning, he has a rav4 67 plate. I mentioned thieves are stealing the newer rav with removing the left side light. He said he is looking to put a plate blocking the access to the master connector(?). Although he said the thieves are going for newer rav, he'll looking into it for his car for peace of mind. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned this. 

He works for Lexus, used to work for Toyota. Said they are looking into a solution for these thefts. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

I mentioned thieves are stealing the newer rav with removing the left side light

Are they removing the light? Thought they were getting in by unclipping the plastic wheel arch and using the connector at the back of the light 

• Like 3

Going back quite a few years now!😕

When I was serving in the Police we were puzzled by Rover 220 Tomcats being attacked and many of them had the front indicators accessed when they were recovered, if the owners were lucky.

Never fully got to understand what they were actually doing but from what we could glean from some of the scrotes and Rover themselves was that they where shorting out the indicators in order to blow a specify fuse which in turn diabled the imobiliser/alarm system, making the object of the attention easier to steal or enter.

Rover were rather tight lipped about the security of their cars. Back then it was early days for built in security in mass produced cars and things have progressed a lot since, not always for the better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, robo1 said:

Are they removing the light? Thought they were getting in by unclipping the plastic wheel arch and using the connector at the back of the light 

Either the arch or bumper to pull the loom from the headlight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are not removing the whole light unit I should be clear. They are breaking through the wheel arch to access the connector. Unplugging the connector, hence the light comes out a bit. 

That’s what I thought. Think this is the connector. Need some sort of metal shield so they cannot get their hand in.

2AFCEE5D-F0EC-4F13-A644-FC83BE3D25E6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:35 AM, ernieb said:

It's also pretty easy to use, I like the way the locking pins swivel sideways to give easy fitting. It's also a very visible sign that there is extra protection.

I bought one last week and was very pleased to find how easy and quick it is to deploy and remove.

Sad for OP's loss and pain of trying to sort the recovered vehicle but thanks for the warning as that prompted me to get a stoplock pro - which fits perfectly by the way.

Hoping Toyota develops a fix in the future but I guess we're back to 90s security for now!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, robo1 said:

That’s what I thought. Think this is the connector. Need some sort of metal shield so they cannot get their hand in.

2AFCEE5D-F0EC-4F13-A644-FC83BE3D25E6.jpeg

If this is what they are trying to get at then I am going to have a look at mine and see if I can get a peice of metal cut to fix in there.

Interesting challenge and could be a very cheap fix if successful.

Will let you know what happens 

Terry

• Like 1

Will be interested what you come up with. I wondered if that visible bolt could become a fixing point.
You would have thought Toyota would have undertaken some sort of risk assessment when they decided to introduce plastic wheel arches with clips. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jazzyb88 said:

I guess we're back to 90s security for now!

Never been away from 90's security as longstanding Police advice is to use a steering wheel lock .......

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, robo1 said:

You would have thought Toyota would have undertaken some sort of risk assessment when they decided to introduce plastic wheel arches with clips. 

Toyota / Lexus wasn't expecting someone to design a dedicated electronic device to target the security systems over the vehicles CAN network.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Never been away from 90's security as longstanding Police advice is to use a steering wheel lock .......

Agree there Frosty! A good steering lock is probably the best answer to stop thefts of the vehicle! Only time I ever saw one of the those devices defeated was a good while back when someone thought up the idea of a lock intended to hold the gear lever and the hand brake lever together. The thievs managed to get the device off because of the inherent movement in the lock, gearlever and handbrake.

Now come to think of it! I do remeber seeing the old stytle, original Krooklok, having been removed by forcing the steering wheel rim down and lifting the clutch pedal up hard. The modern well designed steering locks are more effective and more of a deterent to most scrotes.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links