Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

33 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Toyota / Lexus wasn't expecting someone to design a dedicated electronic device to target the security systems over the vehicles CAN

CAN network was first used by Mercedes in 1991. Prior  to the launch of the mark 5 RAV there were reports of cars being controlled remotely via the CAN network 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Now come to think of it! I do remeber seeing the old stytle, original Krooklok, having been removed by forcing the steering wheel rim down and lifting the clutch pedal up hard.

Krooklok prevented my sister's metro being stolen, thieves had got in & got the ignition on but couldn't defeat the Krooklok as it was fitted to the brake pedal.

The old car thieves trick was to stamp down on the clutch pedal which would bend the steering wheel allowing the Krooklok to be removed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mobi said:

Toyota should feel embarrassed and do a recall to implement a fix.

Toyota need to come up with a fix first.

• Like 2

I don't believe Toyota will do anything about it. It's a shame to resort to such a medieval methods like putting a steering wheel lock to get your car secure, can't imagine myself doing this.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kucyk said:

I don't believe Toyota will do anything about it. It's a shame to resort to such a medieval methods like putting a steering wheel lock to get your car secure, can't imagine myself doing this.

I think they have to come up with a fix, the number of cars especially Lexus being taken in Japan must be an embarrassment to them. They will probably look at some kind of software update (if its possible) as rerouting or protecting the wiring would mean an awful lot of cars going back into dealerships causing a major issue with time constraints as well as being expensive.

They could look at making the can bus unusable unless the key is also in the car.

• Like 3

I'm sure they will come up with a fix, but whether it can be retroactively filtered down is another matter...

TBH it seems like a bit of a schoolboy error in the first place - CANbus vulnerabilities are well known, which is why the normal tactic is to have 2 of them - A secure one which is inside and difficult to physically access which only deals with the security systems, e.g. immobilizer, remotes, ignition, and an unsecure one which does all the other ancillary stuff, e.g. doors, windows, radio, lights, airbags, etc.

If they just used one for the whole thing then there's no easy way to mitigate it in software - there is no way to encrypt CANbus because it's a real-time system and encryption is extremely slow (It would make the difference between airbag detonation timing saving your life and killing you!), and I'm not even sure if they could have some sort of packet/signal authentication between ECU modules for things like the ignition/power on signal as, unless the hardware for that is already built in, it could be very difficult to implement.

• Like 2

It might be easier for Toyota to reinforce the wheel arch to stop access to the headlights rather than make changes to the CANbus! 

• Like 3

Wonder if Toyota have considered what would happen if you run over a brick on the motorway. Could it smash through the plastic wheel arch and cause major problems in the engine bay. 

Surely if Toyota had any remedial measures, then they would have resolved the issue by now?

The fact they have not, probably means they cannot/will not do anything. 

If unchecked, this will lead to higher insurance premiums and lower resale values for RAV4s. 

• Like 1

Just now, mobi said:

Surely if Toyota had any remedial measures, then they would have resolved the issue by now?

If unchecked, this will lead to higher insurance premiums and lower resale values for RAV4s. 

More likely insurance companies insisting on a Thatcham approved tracking device being fitted before covering the vehicle for theft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mobi said:

Quite. Which makes me wonder why you say that they should, "do a recall to implement a fix"?

37 minutes ago, mobi said:

Depending what modifications, if any, are introduced, these would probably be on new production, rather than existing models. 

Same occurred with other models that had security weaknesses (e.g. Fiesta and Focus ST, etc).

Whether insurance companies insist on security trackers is down to them, and if trackers are fitted, may not increase the insurance premium - just additional cost for owners to have these fitted, etc.

Cannot see resale values will be affected as the cars will still be in demand. Certainly hasn't affected cars such as the various Range Rover models which have suffered from security weaknesses for a number of years, and which are still in demand on the used market.

• Like 3

I bought this Stoplock in 1987 for my brand new Golf GTi which I still have. It must be the first model of this security device ?

I've retrieved it from the back seat as after reading this post I may need to fit it to my RAV4 😃IMG_20221219_113622770.thumb.jpg.3dca64f889c49c50630e088b323a2668.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

I was in Halfords this afternoon and had a look at the steering wheel locks, etc

The Halfords own brand at £25 looks neat and compact 👍

IMG_20221219_143739013.thumb.jpg.a0395cd308707d87aaff73d296ac8739.jpgIMG_20221219_143728656.thumb.jpg.f2328a1dcbd7f80af210626382b96e9c.jpg

Check out the group test that I posted before you consider that.
It may be neat and compact but it could turn out to be a visual deterrent only?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

it could turn out to be a visual deterrent

isn't that exactly what is wanted? 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

I bought this Stoplock in 1987 for my brand new Golf GTi which I still have. It must be the first model of this security device ?

I've retrieved it from the back seat as after reading this post I may need to fit it to my RAV4 😃IMG_20221219_113622770.thumb.jpg.3dca64f889c49c50630e088b323a2668.jpg

Pretty sure the pro only came out in 2016

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, philip42h said:

isn't that exactly what is wanted? 😉

Well, that depends...

It might be nice if it did more than just visual deterrent... but there is a downside to that. 😞

• Like 1

I just about always fit a steering lock so a thief will just move on to a easier target hopefully.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jazzyb88 said:

Pretty sure the pro only came out in 2016

Must have came out before that Jas 😃

• Confused 1

We bought two Stoplock Pros when we had the 2012 models of the Auris and i20 - and they had been on the market a while then. Currently have two Isuzu branded Carflow Longarms

• Like 3

My Golf GTi has been sorn'd in my garage for about 22 years and the Stoplock has been sitting on the back seat.

I may see if it'll fit the RAV4, but my wife is totally against it, as although she understands why I used it on my old Golf, she thinks that it should not be required on such a modern vehicle like the RAV4 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

My Golf GTi has been sorn'd in my garage for about 22 years and the Stoplock has been sitting on the back seat.

I may see if it'll fit the RAV4, but my wife is totally against it, as although she understands why I used it on my old Golf, she thinks that it should not be required on such a modern vehicle like the RAV4 🤔

Your wife is right. It should not be required on such a vehicle. Unfortunately, reality bites.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is the video from when my car was stolen.

Took 20 seconds to connect to CAN and turn lights on... there was a bang so the thieves walk away for a bit.

Then come back and simply drive away.

In total, took 2 minutes...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links