Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

Does anyone know the total number of RAV 4.5 that have been sold in the UK?  That way we could get a real sense of proportion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Allen said:

Does anyone know the total number of RAV 4.5 that have been sold in the UK?  That way we could get a real sense of proportion.

If we add up all the first time registrations of RAV4 model 2019 to date (mid 2022) we get around 44,000. This will include late registered 4.4s, HEVs and PHEVs (I think). So the number you are looking for is somewhere between 36,000 and 44,000.

But what we don't know (or at least I don't know) is how many of those have actually been stolen ... 😉

• Like 2

I see that there is a fuse for central locking system, Does this mean the car will not be unlocked without a physical Key inserted to unlock the door?

or any other fuse that would disable the socket for headlight ?

Just trying to see if there is anyway to add a switch for one of the fuses...  trying to make these scumbags work a bit more difficult.

I have seen Battery kill switches wireless/bluetooth controlled but I assume the car would lose all the settings once Battery is disconnected, not ideal for every day use.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

My first thought from your post, is why did they nick them in the first place? Used for some criminal job then dumped I suppose..

Shipped abroad Read here

• Like 1

Hi all,

Unfortunately my 2022 RAV4 Adventure was stolen last December (thank goodness I have full insurance and expect to be reimbursed).  The MyT app still shows that the car is in the parking lot in front of my block (I saw the footage from the cameras at the time of the theft).  The police are doing nothing about it, although I have provided records, and the authorized dealer from whom the car was purchased said nothing more than "pretty nasty, really". 
Is there anything I can do to track my car or should I just accept that this is the world we live in and hope they don't steal my next car.

• Sad 4

24 minutes ago, 2022RAV4AdventureHybrid said:

Is there anything I can do to track my car or should I just accept that this is the world we live in and hope they don't steal my next car.

As soon as the DCM is disconnected from the infotainment unit then the in built location service cannot update the vehicle position.

As for stealing your next car - if its another Rav4 you need to protect it from CAN invader attacks, have a read of the thread already linked in the post above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2022RAV4AdventureHybrid said:

Hi all,

Unfortunately my 2022 RAV4 Adventure was stolen last December (thank goodness I have full insurance and expect to be reimbursed).  The MyT app still shows that the car is in the parking lot in front of my block (I saw the footage from the cameras at the time of the theft).  The police are doing nothing about it, although I have provided records, and the authorized dealer from whom the car was purchased said nothing more than "pretty nasty, really". 

Sorry to hear that ... 😞

In which country / town did it happen?

And, if you've seen the CCTV, do you know 'how' they stole it? It may well have been via the LHS front light and a CANbus attack but we shouldn't jump to conclusions ...

• Like 1

Similar topics merged.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, philip42h said:

... if you've seen the CCTV, do you know 'how' they stole it? It may well have been via the LHS front light and a CANbus attack but we shouldn't jump to conclusions ...

This ^^^

If you have seen the CCTV did they spend any time "working" around the wheel arch area or did it look more like a relay theft?

Need to know more before any opinions or advice can be offered.

• Like 2

Apparently certain Alfa Romeo models are also being targeted via a similar CAN theft method - access is via the forward facing radar module in the front bumper.

Giulia & Stelvio are being targeted.

8 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Apparently certain Alfa Romeo models are also being targeted via a similar CAN theft method - access is via the forward facing radar module in the front bumper.

Giulia & Stelvio are being targeted.

All modern vehicles can be attacked by this method. It's really just a case of the weakest point on a particular vehicle where the appropriate CAN bus wiring can be accessed. From what I understand, they need access to a vehicle first to attach the box of tricks to "record" the "CAN pulses" for that type of vehicle when the commands for opening and starting, etc. are performed. These pulses are then replayed when attached to the target vehicle. 

As mentioned before, the thieves have to be prepared with the knowledge, expensive equipment, set up and are out targeting a specific vehicle, not just opportunists.

• Like 2

To add some fuel to the fire 😅 have you guys heard about Gameboy method 🤯 Reportedly $27k device can unlock most of the cars, including Toyotas. The device is loaded with some code from the car manufacturers, some kind of database of service keys or private keys that is used to calculate and generate the virtual key to open and start your car (the same keys that your dealer is using in case you loose both of your fobs). Resistance is futile 😁

To summarise, to try to prevent:

• CANbus attack - you could possibly secure the wheel arch / plug, hoping for thieves to let go and move on to your neighbour's car 😆
  • Relay attack - disable the keyless access or keep your key in the Faraday box (newer Toyotas fobs go to sleep after 4 minutes if you don't move them, so if you have a newer car, this is not needed)
  • Gameboy - disable the keyless access

Looks like the steering wheel lock is the way to go, it's a visual deterrent also. Another option is just to accept the fact that the car can be stolen and move on.

Doesn't surprise me tbh.  The only real security is physical.

I am told my car has been fixed and it will be returned to me soon. After nearly 4 months, Toyota managed to fix the car.. Well done Toyota. "Their exact wording is "it is difficult to fix electrical problems "......

I asked what parts changed, They told me They have changed the headunit and some wiring loop.

When I asked if they change the head-unit, why MyT app is showing the old head-unit device ID and how they managed to enter my user credential to new head-unit..... The guy says your car is fixed "whats the issue now".... If I was paying this from my pocket, The conversation would be much longer...

Lesson learnt, if my car is stolen again, I wouldn never try to recover.. Let my insurance to pay for a new car, quicker and less hassle.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, atartan said:

Lesson learnt, if my car is stolen again, I wouldn never try to recover.. Let my insurance to pay for a new car, quicker and less hassle.

I think you have highlighted an important point. If the car is stolen, it is best not to get it back! Not only you will be worried whether it has been repaired correctly, it will flag as stolen & recovered which would mean far less resale value in future.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, atartan said:

I am told my car has been fixed and it will be returned to me soon. After nearly 4 months, Toyota managed to fix the car.. Well done Toyota. "Their exact wording is "it is difficult to fix electrical problems "......

I asked what parts changed, They told me They have changed the headunit and some wiring loop.

When I asked if they change the head-unit, why MyT app is showing the old head-unit device ID and how they managed to enter my user credential to new head-unit..... The guy says your car is fixed "whats the issue now".... If I was paying this from my pocket, The conversation would be much longer...

Gap insurance will give you 3 years cover for a little more than the cost of 2 or 3 steering locks

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mobi said:

I think you have highlighted an important point. If the car is stolen, it is best not to get it back! Not only you will be worried whether it has been repaired correctly, it will flag as stolen & recovered which would mean far less resale value in future.

Police told me that it won't go to in stolen & recovered database because I found the car. It is just considered at criminal damage.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Gap insurance will give you 3 years cover for a little more than the cost of 2 or 3 steering locks

Funny thing is , I already have a Gap insurance. I should say it was my naivety that I went after my own car. I was just so p..ed off

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, atartan said:

Police told me that it won't go to in stolen & recovered database because I found the car. It is just considered at criminal damage.

I'm surprised.  Is this because the 'mis-recording' allows an internal police target to be met, I wonder?  Is criminal damage a lesser crime, so not as important?

23 minutes ago, atartan said:

Funny thing is , I already have a Gap insurance. I should say it was my naivety that I went after my own car. I was just so p..ed off

I wouldn't question yourself with regards to what you did - I think most people's instinctive reaction would be to do exactly the same as you.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 10:39 AM, atartan said:

I have seen battery kill switches wireless/bluetooth controlled but I assume the car would lose all the settings once battery is disconnected, not ideal for every day use.

Hi Atartan,

Haver been  following this topic for a while.

Noticed your remark about fitting a Battery kill switch and agree with your comment it would be incovienient in use daily.

One thing occurs to me though regarding a kill switch! Instead of fitting this to cut the Battery supply to all the cars electrical systems would be possible to fit the switch in the positive feed to the starter motor itself. Haven't had a close look at these devices but they must allow the positive Battery lead to be disconnected when the switch is activated. The switch must be capable of handling 12v at starting amperage if designed to cut off the battery entirely, it would just mean installing the device in the positive battery leading that feeds the starter instead.

Even if the scrot's access the can bus and/or get inside the car if the engine won't turn over as they're fully expecting they're not going to be hanging around trying to figure out why, they'll leave and go elsewhere!

Also sorry to hear how the police dealt with your theft. I'm an ex Bobby and it shouldn't happen! If you recovered the vehicle yourself it should still have been recorded as stolen with an update on their own force computer systems to say it was recovered by the owner. There would be no need to record the vehicle as stolen on the PNC (Police National Computer) but their own local data base should reflect the fact your car was stolen and not criminally damaged. The police started "massaging" crime figures many years ago and it's not a new thing but stolen is still stolen and not just a matter of criminal damage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Atartan,

Haver been  following this topic for a while.

Noticed your remark about fitting a battery kill switch and agree with your comment it would be incovienient in use daily.

One thing occurs to me though regarding a kill switch! Instead of fitting this to cut the battery supply to all the cars electrical systems would be possible to fit the switch in the positive feed to the starter motor itself. Haven't had a close look at these devices but they must allow the positive battery lead to be disconnected when the switch is activated. The switch must be capable of handling 12v at starting amperage if designed to cut off the battery entirely, it would just mean installing the device in the positive battery leading that feeds the starter instead.

My Dad did similar to this years back, just wired a hidden on/off switch into the ignition feed.

Working in IT, I am adding MFA to all my systems, so to login to them you have to enter a rotating code, or use an encryption key pair.

If the crims have a database of likely codes for the cars, then put in a system where when you get take delivery, the car key is specifically encoded at the time to that car, and that car's ECU responds only to that specific car key's encrypted password.   The password is generated using a algorythim that requires both the public encryption key that the ECU knows and the private encryption key that the car key knows.  So even if you hack into the canbus feed and somehow get the ECU's encryption key you still can't give the ECU the correctly generated password, as one of the code key pairs is on your car key, and your car key alone.

1 hour ago, DerekHa said:

fit the switch in the positive feed to the starter motor itself

There isn't a starter motor in a hybrid ... 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Whilst in my main dealer this week (finding out my wait for a new car is going to be much longer again), I was informed of a recent RAV4 theft (day before). Apparently the owner did not have Gap insurance, and this was going to be a big problem. 

Note for future buyers here…its not worth it until your car is stolen.

Not got any details about the theft, apart from it was stolen from the owners driveway.

What I did learn was that the tracker was activated, and the vehicle was stationary. The police however, refused to attend the ‘site’ as it would have put their officers into an area considered to be too unsafe to enter. She was also ‘advised strongly’ not to attend herself…..Beggars belief!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

37 minutes ago, philip42h said:

There isn't a starter motor in a hybrid ... 😉

Well I've learned something new today! Thanks for putting me right Philip  😕👍.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links