Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

8 hours ago, kucyk said:

singed CAN bus communication

What is " singed CAB BUS communications..."  ?

8 hours ago, philip42h said:

ou can read the situation for yourself on github here

GitHub AFAWK is a place where programmers exchange information and code.

Are there now criminal gangs on GitHub openly sharing details on how to steal cars  ?

3 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Eyes started to close.

Snap, same here, and have knowledge of code....

Think your ealier post about a metal protective plate is an excellent solution.  Would be very keen to replicate this.

We have access to fab shop with steel materials, welding equipment etc.

Did you solution avoid any permament "damage" to the vehilce, i.e. drilling through the bodywork etc ?

7 hours ago, lightboxcar said:

GitHub AFAWK is a place where programmers exchange information and code.

Are there now criminal gangs on GitHub openly sharing details on how to steal cars  ?

You are correct on the first part - github is used in the development of Open Source code. The openpilot encryption referred to is an open source development so there are folk working to secure the Canbus.

(I guess that the sharing of information on how to steal cars is predominantly on the dark web ...)

But the upshot of this is that none of this work has yet made its way through to implementation in production by Toyota, nor, indeed, that Toyota is supporting or even interested in it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lightboxcar said:

What is " singed CAB BUS communications..."  ?

signed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lightboxcar said:

Snap, same here, and have knowledge of code....

Think your ealier post about a metal protective plate is an excellent solution.  Would be very keen to replicate this.

We have access to fab shop with steel materials, welding equipment etc.

Did you solution avoid any permament "damage" to the vehilce, i.e. drilling through the bodywork etc ?

No holes drilled in the bodywork at all.Used one existing hole in the top metal cross bar above the headlight ( only accessible by lifting the bonnet) If you pm me with your email address I will send you pics of the finished thing fitted to my car.I did have pics of it out of the car that I sent to several members who asked at the time but have now deleted them. Seriously it is not difficult to make once you see it.I think it was all made out of 400mm x 6mm mild steel bar. Welding and drilling involved but will be really easy if you have access to a fab shop.

Regards Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to Halfords this morning to collect Stoplock Pro, they were closed for about half an hour due to all the staff deployed to unload a big delivery lorry.

So got talking to others waiting in the queue for them to open.

One chap had a nice Audi Quattro saloon. Asked him if he liked the car, and he started showing us round it.  Then he suddenly noticed the front nearside wing was protruding about half an inch, as if he had a bump.  But there was no other damage at all, no scratches or anything esle.

Immediately relalised that maybe someone had tried to access ther nearside headlamp by pulling away the wing panel, perhaps got disturbed half way through or something.   Explained to him about the RAV4 can bus attack and said it looked very similar.

Not sure if his car has the same problem , but on the way out of Halfords we saw him again, he said he was also going to buy a Stoplock Pro !

• Like 6

Hopefully we have fitted this correctly, it is te Stoplock Pro Elite.

The lugs are not wide enough to go round the bottom spoke, so we needed to turn the steering wheel a bit to the right and put the lugs round the smaller spoke that has all the buttons on it.

With this configuration we are thinking anyone wanting to break it off would need to cut the steering wheel in two places

It is a bit loose, but does not make the horn sound, so far....

And it is highly visible from the outside.

StopLock-Front-1.jpg

StopLock-Front-2.jpg

StopLock-Rear.jpg

• Like 1

Actually now we look at our own photo of the rear of the Stoplock, it may not even be possible to remove it by cutting the sterring wheel ?

There is so little play / movement possible as the lugs are very close to the spoke !

• Like 1

I am still using a steering lock but a diffrent make its still a deterent but I fitted mine with a 4mm foam cushion just in case it marked the horn/airbag retainer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fit my Stoplock similarly, with the lugs around the spoke with the cruise control buttons. That seems to be the most secure to me. I've got used to getting the steering wheel straight, then turning a few degrees clockwise before switching off the ignition.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lightboxcar said:

Actually now we look at our own photo of the rear of the Stoplock, it may not even be possible to remove it by cutting the sterring wheel ?

There is so little play / movement possible as the lugs are very close to the spoke !

I thought this too - which is why I have gone from using my Milenco to to my Stoplock Pro again (My Pro fits so don't need the Elite which I also have from another car).   

I turn the wheel a bit so the Stoplock goes around the cruise button spoke thus making it stick up at 45 degrees ish to the centre of the car ... avoids the indicators and very visible.   The Stoplock is so tight on the spoke I too wondered if even with two cuts it would be possible to get off.  It is certainly tight in there and ideal.  

I have a little wheel clamp too for when it is parked somewhere super vulnerable.

• Like 3

Isn’t the point that whether it’s two or three cuts it’s the noise and additional time it’s going to take that really matters. I think to a large extent that any additional measures to show that the owner is aware of the cars potential vulnerability is what counts. If some chummy is going to take your car then that’s likely what he will do, he will scope the issues and come prepared.

For me the fact that there is a very visible big yellow bar (disc) fixed onto the steering wheel is most to do the job. Hopefully 🙏 

• Like 5

Yes which is why you need to make them as visible as possible.  If you nake up a port blocker get a sticker that says so.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SO8 said:

have a little wheel clamp

We thought of doing this too.

But the fear would be forgetting about it, and drving off with the clamp atached, which presumably could cause quite a bit of damage ?

7 hours ago, SO8 said:

little wheel clamp

Perhaps you could post a photo of this ?

Thank you.

4 hours ago, lightboxcar said:

Perhaps you could post a photo of this ?

Thank you.

Put on the f/n/s wheel shows the thieves if they try that route they have the clamp to contend with so hopefully don't do any damage to the wheel arch / headlight etc trying ..

IMG-0511.jpg

IMG-0510.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lightboxcar said:

We thought of doing this too.

But the fear would be forgetting about it, and drving off with the clamp atached, which presumably could cause quite a bit of damage ?

I thought that but given I just put this on it every so often and a steering lock I am sure I will remember ... or a bit of tape stuck to the gear selector - I used to use a disc lock on a motorbike and forgot one day .... expensive mistake most bikers make once !  I used tape over my ignition on the bike ... so the key couldn't go in.  Red tape on the gear selector would have the same effect to remind you 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SO8 said:

shows the thieves if they try that route they have the clamp to contend with

Excellent !!

Thanks for the kind photos

10 hours ago, SO8 said:

I thought that but given I just put this on it every so often and a steering lock I am sure I will remember ... or a bit of tape stuck to the gear selector - I used to use a disc lock on a motorbike and forgot one day .... expensive mistake most bikers make once !  I used tape over my ignition on the bike ... so the key couldn't go in.  Red tape on the gear selector would have the same effect to remind you 🙂

Here ya go...

https://www.amazon.com/remove-before-flight-tag/s?k=remove+before+flight+tag

• Like 1

I thought I had share my experience with everyone.

Yesterday evening I got into my RAV4 Icon 72 reg and drove off. About 15 minutes into my journey, I indicated to turn left and noticed that the indicator light on the dashboard was blinking fast. I thought that was rather unusual, a dead bulb in a relatively new car; I hardly drive the car, it has done less than 500 miles. When I got home I parked in my residential car park bay and then inspected the car. I noticed that the black plastic trimming on the left fender had been tampered with as there was a broken plastic plug on the floor; it seems to have been forcefully pulled out.

I was very worried, at first I thought someone must really hate me to want to damage my car. It then crossed my mind that about 4 weeks earlier, when I was about 4 miles away from my residence, a driver that was driving in the opposite direction stopped alongside and told me that he had his RAV4 stollen a week earlier and warned me to take extra measures to keep mine safe. Then, my first thoughts were 1) why is this guy bothering me with his story? 2) I deliberately bought a basic trim (i.e. ICON) to make it less attractive to thieves 3)  My car does not have keyless entry therefore it will be difficult to steal. Anyway, I got indoors and then did a basic research on the internet and came came across headlight CAN injection theft. By this time it was too late to get a steering wheel locking device and I was worried that the thieves might come back to finish what they started so I drove the car and parked it overnight at my dads.

I woke up this morning collected the car and drove to Halfords to get Disklok for the steering. I also intend to get an additional tyre wheel clamp - currently researching to figure out which one to buy. Any advice will be welcomed. 

In conclusion, I am glad that the attempt was unsuccessful and going back to point 1) above, I think everyone that knows about the CAN Injection theft issue, including Toyota, should spread the news so that others don't become a victim.

NB: A question to the techy ones amongst you, is it only cars with keyless entry that are vulnerable to the CAN Injection theft? Is this why they were unable to steal my RAV4 (ICON)?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Samy2022 said:

NB: A question to the techy ones amongst you, is it only cars with keyless entry that are vulnerable to the CAN Injection theft? Is this why they were unable to steal my RAV4 (ICON)?

I believe that your decision to by a humble Icon saved your car form being stolen. The Canbus attack exploits features of the Smart Entry and Start system which your car doesn't have - so the attack fails. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the dumb would-be thief from damaging the car in the first place ... 😞

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I believe that your decision to by a humble Icon saved your car form being stolen. The Canbus attack exploits features of the Smart Entry and Start system which your car doesn't have - so the attack fails. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the dumb would-be thief from damaging the car in the first place ... 😞

Ding! We got a winner.

And that, ladies and germs, is why a clear visual deterrent is the best option available. Everything that prevents the thief from taking the car after they have broken in is pretty pointless. Yes, you may still have the car but it will have to undergo lengthy repairs - if the parts are readily available, you will have lost a big chunk of NCB and, actually, do you really want it back after that anyway? Prevention is better than cure.

Sorry to hear about the attempted break in. Get a Stoplock Pro or a Milenco. The easier a device is to use the more likely you are to actually use it.

Also Gap insurance, is a good idea especially if you live in a big city, unfortunately only available for a short time after the purchase of a new car, leastways that's what it seems to me when I got mine.

8 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Also Gap insurance, is a good idea especially if you live in a big city, unfortunately only available for a short time after the purchase of a new car, leastways that's what it seems to me when I got mine.

Gap insurance is also available for second hand cars but only for a limited time after perchase.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links