Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Will a bigger one fit?

Bper

I was talking to a friend this morning who asked what size engine was in our Auris. When I told him it was a 1.2T, he was surprised as he thought it would be at least an 1.8. He likes the car but made a joke that he would change it to the 1.8.

I wondered if it is possible to change a 1.2T to a 1.8 and if so, would this cause problems with the cars design and set up.

I will let him know once I find out.

• Like 1

I remember my old dad changing a number of car engines back in the 70s for larger ones. I remember he did have some problems with suspension on some models and was forever changing something to make them run. Good old days.

• Like 2

I had a MK1 Cortina GT 1500cc and a mate had the same car but it had a 3000cc V6 engine with all upgraded suspension, brakes, etc 

It was called a Savage and the thing went like a rocket 😃

• Like 1

Cortina savage was a great car from a bygone era. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bper said:

Cortina savage was a great car from a bygone era. 

The Lotus Cortina was/is also a classic Bob 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

I had a MK1 Cortina GT 1500cc and a mate had the same car but it had a 3000cc V6 engine with all upgraded suspension, brakes, etc 

It was called a Savage and the thing went like a rocket 😃

I didn't see the Essex engine in the Mk1 but, I remember the Mk2 Savage.

• Like 2

Sell the 1.2 and get a 1.8 - its very complex swap plus the insurance will screw you as it's a modified car

Auris come in 1.2T, 1.33, 1.4, 1.4 diesel, 1.6, 1.8, 1.8 hybrid 2.0 and 2.2 diesel - JDM cars have the 1.5 2wd, 1.5 4wd, 2.4 and 3.5 v6

• Like 3

The 1.2T has much more low-end torque than the 1.8 tho', so unless you tend to drive around 6000rpm it's probably the better engine :laugh: 

Peak power figures quoted are meaningless for most cars unless you track them. I was disappointed how much slower the 100hp 1.33 petrol engine in my Mk2 was, compared to the 74hp turbo diesel Mk1 I had before it!

The thing that tells you how nice a car is to drive is the torque curve - If it peaks early and then stays flat then it'll be a cracker, but if it's a long slope with a peak far to the right, it'll need serious thrashing to get to the power.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Sell the 1.2 and get a 1.8 - its very complex swap plus the insurance will screw you as it's a modified car

Auris come in 1.2T, 1.33, 1.4, 1.4 diesel, 1.6, 1.8, 1.8 hybrid 2.0 and 2.2 diesel - JDM cars have the 1.5 2wd, 1.5 4wd, 2.4 and 3.5 v6

Nothing wrong with the 1.2T it was understanding if it is possible to put a larger engine in

and what problems it would have on handling,suspension etc.

• Like 2

Fitment-wise it'd probably be fairly easy as Toyota are usually really good about consistency of things like mountings as long as the engine was designed for the car (Not like the 1.33 1NR-FE in the Mk2 :laugh: )

I have a suspicion the 1.8 is actually smaller than the 1.2T when you take in to account everything and not just the block - The 1.2T takes up a surprisingly large amount of space because of the turbo, extra pipe work, intercooler, oil cooler etc.

Electronics-wise, well, that's a whole different kettle of fish!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Fitment-wise it'd probably be fairly easy as Toyota are usually really good about consistency of things like mountings as long as the engine was designed for the car (Not like the 1.33 1NR-FE in the Mk2 :laugh: )

I have a suspicion the 1.8 is actually smaller than the 1.2T when you take in to account everything and not just the block - The 1.2T takes up a surprisingly large amount of space because of the turbo, extra pipe work, intercooler, oil cooler etc.

Electronics-wise, well, that's a whole different kettle of fish!!

Would any modifications be needed to upgrade suspension etc.

• Like 1

i would think the suspension and drivetrain will be very different, as well as the subframe, engine mounts and brakes inc master cylinder/booster - electrical will be a major headache

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bper said:

Yes triumph stag was one😁

Loved the stag when it was running but many mechanical issues, overheating etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Markyswan said:

Loved the stag when it was running but many mechanical issues, overheating etc.

The purrrrrr from the exhaust was something else. When it was running of course😃

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links