Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing DIY

wee Alan

Has anyone serviced there new car DIY.   Or have any issues with Toyota covering warranty items when serviced themselves. Thanks.

Under Block Exemption regulations, servicing when the car is within the new car warranty has to be either within the marque's dealer network or by a VAT registered garage. DIY servicing doesn't qualify under the warranty. 

• Like 3

Hi Alan, the main concern is the warranty, especially nowadays with technology, etc 

Personally I wouldn't do anything to invalidate the warranty or give the dealer any reason not to honour it. The relationship between customers and dealers these days ain't what it used to be, all about money 😃

• Like 2

I bought a brand new Golf GTi in 1987 from Ian Skelly in Glasgow and it never went back to the dealer once,  and I have done all servicing, etc myself and I've still got the car.

But as I said the technology nowadays is beyond most DIY and if things go wrong it can be very costly without some kind of warranty.

• Like 1

As frosty says, DIY is a no-no if you want to keep the warranty intact, unless you are a registered garage!

Even then, it's much easier to get warranty service if you use the main dealer, as if you use a independent they will often try to deny the warranty citing improper servicing and put the onus on you to prove otherwise. And that's assuming what goes wrong is something covered under warranty that they can't wriggle out of (And they do try!!!)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

As frosty says, DIY is a no-no if you want to keep the warranty intact, unless you are a registered garage!

Even then, it's much easier to get warranty service if you use the main dealer, as if you use a independent they will often try to deny the warranty citing improper servicing and put the onus on you to prove otherwise. And that's assuming what goes wrong is something covered under warranty that they can't wriggle out of (And they do try!!!)

Does this relate to brakes and discs as well

10 minutes ago, Markyswan said:

Does this relate to brakes and discs as well

With the majority of manufacturers, brake pads and discs are only covered by the new car warranty for a limited time - commonly around six months - as they are viewed as consumables.

• Like 1