Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Just got a 2016 Yaris !


Recommended Posts

So after our old runaround 2005 polo's rear suspension collapsed.. we purchased a 2016 yaris design in red/black from Cazoo*

 

Couple of questions ,

does not appear to have hill hold or stop/start (assumed standard by 2016)

steering wheel buttons are not illuminated , only drivers electric window switch lights up (faintly!) and when indicating you cant soft press to get 3 flashes for quick indications ? minor quibbles of course !

 

otherwise a nice car , pretty sharp looking in red with the black roof too !

 

* This style of purchasing was new to me but almost went without a hitch. Hitch being person on phone said car would have a fresh Mot as only had 4 months remaining. Day before delivery i remembered to check and of course .. " sorry its only if its 3 months or less".. Tbf i politely complained and they agreed to refund £50 for me to Mot it. If it needs anything they will reimburse also. Thank goodness for companies recording calls and making transcripts eh ?!

 

Mark.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Enjoy your car. 

You don't say whether yours is a hybrid or petrol car. I have a 2016 hybrid icon, it doesn't have hill hold or soft touch indicators. Had it 4+ years and no trouble at all, to be replaced by a new MK4 excel next summer. 

*On the auto especially imo don't need the stop/start. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What engine ? Auto, manual or hybrid

no illuminated controls on the wheel, no 3 flashes, hold the stalk for indicators or click it

hill hold - it's called a handbrake

Stop/start only on some models, IMHO it's a useless feature it just puts excess wear on components

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Enjoy your car. 

You don't say whether yours is a hybrid or petrol car. I have a 2016 hybrid icon, it doesn't have hill hold or soft touch indicators. Had it 4+ years and no trouble at all, to be replaced by a new MK4 excel next summer. 

*On the auto especially imo don't need the stop/start. 

 

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

What engine ? Auto, manual or hybrid

no illuminated controls on the wheel, no 3 flashes, hold the stalk for indicators or click it

hill hold - it's called a handbrake

Stop/start only on some models, IMHO it's a useless feature it just puts excess wear on components

Sorry it’s a manual with the petrol engine. 
 

shame re the missing features as they are handy imo (have them on our 16 civic) , but hey ho! Main thing is reliability. 
 

D8B82F58-4513-431E-9ECD-8ECD113CE460.thumb.jpeg.4d05f95ae858cc5abd53fcf1d676ac45.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, Toyota like simplicity, because simple is reliable, so they tend to tag behind other marques in some driving features, although sometimes they surprise you!

The Mk4 is very stand out, with things like all 4 electric windows being single-touch open/close and the HUD option (Sadly discontinued :sad: )

Just be glad you have a proper handbrake tho' - I am not getting on with the EPB in the new model and just ignore it now; It only gets used when I shift to Park and the car automatically engages it!

If I had a manual with an EPB I think I would sell it quite quickly!!!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The car looks great 👍 

Because it’s not the top spec trim level some extras may be not there but at the end it’s a small simple car and as such whatever extras has comes as a bonus. Again looks fresh and I am sure it drives nice and will be reliable and efficient, this is actually what matters the most. Enjoy your new car 🚗 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The Mk4 is very stand out, with things like all 4 electric windows being single-touch open/close

Only one of them lights up though 🙄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

The car looks great 👍 

Because it’s not the top spec trim level some extras may be not there but at the end it’s a small simple car and as such whatever extras has comes as a bonus. Again looks fresh and I am sure it drives nice and will be reliable and efficient, this is actually what matters the most. Enjoy your new car 🚗 

 Cheers !

Yes i think it has a comfort/convenience pack or something similar?

Reliability was our main focus , so anything else is a bonus i guess !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, Toyota like simplicity, because simple is reliable, so they tend to tag behind other marques in some driving features, although sometimes they surprise you!

The Mk4 is very stand out, with things like all 4 electric windows being single-touch open/close and the HUD option (Sadly discontinued :sad: )

Just be glad you have a proper handbrake tho' - I am not getting on with the EPB in the new model and just ignore it now; It only gets used when I shift to Park and the car automatically engages it!

If I had a manual with an EPB I think I would sell it quite quickly!!!

 

This is my first car with keyless start so a electric handbrake would have been too much for me 😂 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like electric handbrake, had it in previous Audi cars + auto lock, and window up on remote fob. The Audi was a manual, handbrake auto release when gassing to move off. Does it do this on the mk4 yaris @Cyker?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 2019 non hybrid each to their own but I wouldn't thank you for stop start, or electric handbrake, my last car had the 3 flash indicator option and after a couple of weeks I don't even notice this one doesn't, I had never given Toyota a second thought when considering a second hand car I am now glad I did.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Only one of them lights up though 🙄

Yes, but fortunately it's the one your index finger would naturally be on, and the rest are clustered around it so you can find them by feel alone without having to look.

I wish the steering wheel controls had similar ergonomics, as I always have to glance at them to make sure I'm pressing e.g. "cruise control" and not "speed limiter", or "cancel cruise" and not "skip track" !

Still, I'm just glad they aren't using touch controls like the ID3. They are literally the worst - You can't tell if you're touching them or not, and they are so easy to accidentally trigger! At least with normal controls you have to explicitly press on them, but with touch controls, either just brushing them accidentally is enough to trigger them, or you have to jab them repeatedly to make them sense your touch! Ugh, just worse in every way!

 

3 hours ago, markybug said:

This is my first car with keyless start so a electric handbrake would have been too much for me 😂 

I know what you mean; Is also the first automatic I've owned and I kept jarring my foot hitting the dead pedal when going for a non-existent clutch!

I'm just glad that my dad had a button start car before me, so I already knew how they work - I remember when we first bought his car, we couldn't figure out how to start it until the salesman told us we had to hold the brake down when pressing the button!! :laugh: 

The salesman for my Mk4 didn't even give me a tour of the car at the handover before he wandered off to another customer, so it's a good thing I'd already played with one at the launch event!

It's certainly a huge leap in complexity compared to my previous Yarisusiesiesus!

 

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

I like electric handbrake, had it in previous Audi cars + auto lock, and window up on remote fob. The Audi was a manual, handbrake auto release when gassing to move off. Does it do this on the mk4 yaris @Cyker?

If you mean does the EPB auto-release when you press the accelerator, then yes it does. It does sometimes 'catch' slightly, as the EPB is a bit slow to disengage if you're trying to move off quickly, so I tend to use the brake hold as the hydraulic brakes are much faster.

One annoying idiosyncrasy is, if you're in D and engage the EPB, the car will strain against the brakes on creep unless you also hold down the foot brake. I don't know why they programmed it to do this, as it's totally pointless - It really should switch off the creep when the EPB is on. The car doesn't try to creep against the foot brake so why does it creep against the handbrake??

(The Toyota answer is "because that's how automatics are" - Yes, normal ICE automatics that have engines that can't stop running, but this is not a limitation that hybrids have!! I hate it when they do things like this just because that's how it's always done, without applying any logic or reason!)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't normally put the handbrake on at stationary traffic ever on the hybrid. Sometimes put the gear in neutral and still pressing the brake if it takes quite long. 

The Audi A1 & A3 manual were the same in terms of catching EBP sometimes when trying to quickly move off. But it won't be any bother to me as only turn on EPB when the car is parked up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's taken a bit of re-learning as I would always go handbrake+neutral in my manual cars so I wasn't lazing the person behind me with my brakelights, and also because moving off from the handbrake rather than the foot brake is much faster in a manual car :naughty: 

In the hybrid it's just not practical, as the EPB is too small and surrounded by other buttons and holes to find by feel compared to a big handbrake, and the car will complain if you leave it in N for too long as it can't charge the traction Battery in N mode.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Cyker said:

wish the steering wheel controls had similar ergonomics, as I always have to glance at them to make sure I'm pressing e.g. "cruise control" and not "speed limiter", or "cancel cruise" and not "skip track" !

Still, I'm just glad they aren't using touch controls

That’s finally a use for lane keep assist the car can drive itself while you sort out the jumble of buttons on the steering wheel. 
on second thought’s you’ve got to be able to engage it first without looking 🥴

I do agree with you about touch controls I had a Honda which was all touch screens it was a right pain, one of the reasons I switched to Toyota. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

May be old-fashioned, but I like having control of the handbrake - cars these days are very over assisted 😜

i have front auto and illuminated windows in mine, may do the rears one day, lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So first time using cruise control on this (or any car tbh) much more comfortable on the long-ish work commute! Bit fumbly without illumination but got it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, markybug said:

So first time using cruise control on this (or any car tbh) much more comfortable on the long-ish work commute! Bit fumbly without illumination but got it. 

What engine is your Yaris and what mpg are you getting on average from a tankful? This could be interesting for some new owners as alternative car to more popular Yaris hybrids. 
Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

What engine is your Yaris and what mpg are you getting on average from a tankful? This could be interesting for some new owners as alternative car to more popular Yaris hybrids. 
Thanks 

It’s just the 1.3 petrol. Unsure re consumption as only put petrol in on Friday for the first time 🙂

I usually fill the tank and see what i get to about the reserve light ( very scientific lol)

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

So , nearly a month in and it’s been pretty decent!

 

minor niggles are the previously mentioned lack of illumination on various buttons and switches, also no rest area for clutch foot. DAB isn’t as strong a signal as in the Civic (maybe the rather old fashioned roof aerials fault?)

 

otherwise , comfortable and reliable transport:-)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership