Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 struggling on cold and warm start

Rav4logrox

Hello 

I was hoping for some assistance please. My car has started struggling to start up from cold and warm starts, it turns over continually until it starts up.
I have had the fuel filter and all other filters changed, Battery has been checked and today the error code P0400 which suggests EGR Flow problem. 

Could this issue create start up problems ? I will replace it, rather than cleaning it out as it seems it can get clogged back up again. I have also read it could be the SCV valves ? Would they be worth checking first ? 

Feels a little like a needle in a haystack at the moment.

Thank you for your help 

Steve 

I was wondering if this was the case but would I experience other issues too? and not just only start up issues? 

Thank you 

• Like 1

It's also a 2004 Rav4 and has covered 86000 miles, just for reference. 

An update - 

Took the car out today and ran fine for about twenty minutes. After that the car lost power and went into limp mode. There was leakage of oil substance under the car and we had the error P0400 Engine control - 69X / Diesel Denso CRP0093 - Fuel system. Error Message : Large leak detected.P0400  as well as Exhaust-gas recirculation. Error Message : Circuit faulty.

when we prime the pump it works and then the same fault occurs, now it’s pointing to so many things such as 

SCV 

Injectors 

fuel leak 

anyone else had the same issue and resolved it ? 

Do you know when the diesel fuel filter was last changed? That might be worth checking, but if there's actually a leak somewhere that would deffo be the thing to address first!!

• Like 2

Hi 

Thank you for your replies. The fuel filter was changed last week, which we did to rule out any filter issues.

It's off to the garage in the morning for them to check if they can find a leak, appears its a major one somewhere in the High pressure area, which is why I'm thinking it may be injectors now, which if thats the case I've heard they are mega expensive.

I also need to get the EGR cleaned and checked and even replaced if needs be. 

Cars eh, great when they work headache when there's a problem.

Thank you again 

4 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

I'm still having nightmares about injectors 😃

Oh no, did you sort yours out in the end ? 

I had similar problems with a 2004 d4d which I hoped would go on for ever. Looking back at numerous posts on this forum there were so many variables that it seems I could have spent a lot of money on it with no guarantee of success so I reluctantly decided to cut my losses and get rid. I subsequently bought a petrol version which, other than consumables, has not caused any problems in the 9 years I’ve had it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rav4logrox said:

Oh no, did you sort yours out in the end ? 

Hi Steve, no it's my daughter's car and it's been in the garage for what must be at least 10 weeks, it's a long story, but they are now saying that they can't fix it, and would need to go to Toyota dealer who apparently have better diagnosis equipment.

Looks like it may be scrapped ☹️

• Sad 1

Sad, Iain very sad but probably not uncommon with the complexities of cars today and likely to get even worse as time goes on. There will be no classic cars around from this generation of cars.

My first car was a 30’s Morris 8 which I spent a year doing up before I learnt to drive, easy to work on and if the Battery was good would always start first time.

• Thanks 2

Totally agree Ernie, the complex technology is beyond most mechanics and garages 😕

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Sorry for the lack of posts I've been working on trying to get to the RAV4 back on the road.

Just to let you know I have replaced the fuel pump as well as the diesel heater in the pump assembly, it is also had a new fuel filter and the issue is still occurring.

What I wanted to ask was if anybody has experiences a fuel pump losing pressure once primed? It's goes slightly hard and then after a few seconds you can reprime it, it's a brand new fuel pump. There are also no leaks. 

thanks in advance 

Steve 

We were thinking this to be honest, so frustrating when you think you’ve cracked it, was half wondering if I had been sold a duff fuel pump 😂 

Thank you 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links