Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KPH/MPH and....English Satnav installation.

Coalman

Hi Everybody!

I think that I maybe purchasing a 2.4 petrol Estima this week.  It lacks an English satnav and hasnt been changed to MPH. I live in Nuneaton and wondered if both of these jobs can be done by a decent mechanic and what would the cost be?  I dont need anything too 'bells and whistles' where the satnav is concerned. Thank you for your time. Cheers.

Great vehicles.

Do you know why it hasn’t been converted to MPH?

Does it have an MOT?

You have several head unit options: stick with what you have - using an app to translate the Japanese - this keeps things original.

Purchase add on units that connect to it. An Apple CarPlay device could be added for example.

Replace the head unit, but you may lose some of the current functions - cameras (if multiple) and vehicle data display etc.

radio replacement £250 upwards, gauges you can go 2 ways physical dials from the likes of Lockwood or go with an electronic conversion

Thank you both for that info.  Yes, it has a full MOT.  Is there any problem with leaving the KMH rather than MPH?   Being as I am not electrically minded ( or tech savvy, actually)  it looks like the 'add on' option will be best for me and least intrusive if changing things can cause additional problems.  I will have to find out how to do that if/when I need to.  I will try to find out why it has not been changed from KMH to MPH before viewing and let you know. Cheers.

It may have been changed electronically, use a sat nav or one of the many apps to check your speed if the car shows 30 kph and sat nav/phone shows 30mph it's converted, if the car shows 30kph and the sat nav/phone shows 18-19 it ideally needs converting

I'm sure you know what 20 and 30 mph feels like

When was it imported ? cars under 10 years old need an IVA and conversion to mph and rear fog (2 of many requirements), if it was over 10 years old it just needed an MOT

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. It is an October 2011 Estima, imported in July '22.  I dont think it needs to be swapped to MPH and looking at the screen ( it has bluetooth for phone, radio , rear view camera etc) I dont thnk I will bother with the sat nav.  I'll always be travelling with the wife and she ALWAYS knows the correct road to take! Thanks for your replies..... I am picking it up tomorrow....I'm so excited!! 😊

• Haha 1

If you do change the head-unit, a standard double din will be much easier to fit than one with a floating screen, but it will look quite small as the original headunit is quite big.

if you run Waze off Apple CarPlay or Android it will display the mph speed.

9 hours ago, Trg1244 said:

If you do change the head-unit, a standard double din will be much easier to fit than one with a floating screen, but it will look quite small as the original headunit is quite big.

if you run Waze off Apple CarPlay or Android it will display the mph speed.

Cheers.  I will need to be a computer expert by the sound of it! lol  All theses 'add ons',, 'Apple play', 'apps' etc.  I'm sure I can ask a young person how it all works! Thanks again for all the info. 

Best thing to do is find a reputable installer, if you’ve never done this before. They’ll make everything look tidy and ensure it all fits together and works properly. The work will require taking part of the dash out to get access to various things, and connecting harnesses so the steering wheel volume button works etc.

When I had mine done I lost the near side camera view, but they upgraded the front and rear cameras to hi-definition ones.

Pretty much every aftermarket headunit has Apple CarPlay, so you won’t need to find one with inbuilt satnav as you can just run navigation off carplay 

• Like 1

Thanks Billy Bob, I think that I will do just that.  I drove the car back home, 85 miles, and I just love it!!  Just WOW! It hasnt come with any handbooks or info on what button do what, so I'll have a look at You tube vids to gleam some knowledge.  I have learnt that the indicators are on the right hand side of the steering wheel though and the wipers on the left! lol

On 10/4/2022 at 2:13 PM, Trg1244 said:

Best thing to do is find a reputable installer, if you’ve never done this before. They’ll make everything look tidy and ensure it all fits together and works properly. The work will require taking part of the dash out to get access to various things, and connecting harnesses so the steering wheel volume button works etc.

When I had mine done I lost the near side camera view, but they upgraded the front and rear cameras to hi-definition ones.

Pretty much every aftermarket headunit has Apple CarPlay, so you won’t need to find one with inbuilt satnav as you can just run navigation off carplay 

...and what do I have to get if I don't have Apple gadgets? I have a Moto G5 phone and can't see me having an iPhone etc. Cheers.

most* systems are Apple Carplay and Android auto compatible

eg. SPH- DA160DAB

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/sph-da160dab

If you don't want all the modern fluff, something along the lines of a Pioneer DMH-A240DAB what is sub £200

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/dmh-a240dab

59 minutes ago, Coalman said:

...and what do I have to get if I don't have Apple gadgets? I have a Moto G5 phone and can't see me having an iphone etc. Cheers.

Most* (don’t want want to upset anyone…) units from the major manufacturers that have Apple CarPlay will also have Android Auto these days, so you can connect either your iPhone or Android phone, depending on your preference.

I said most, as some lower end units only do one or the other - Pioneer do/did CarPlay only models

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 3:55 PM, Coalman said:

I drove the car back home, 85 miles, and I just love it!!  Just WOW!

I know right! I had the exact same reaction when the Mrs & I went for a test drive in what is now our Estima. 

On 10/5/2022 at 3:55 PM, Coalman said:

It hasnt come with any handbooks or info on what button do what, so I'll have a look at You tube vids to gleam some knowledge.

I think that you might be able to find a handbook for the Estima on Amazon. That issue/question has popped up before on this forum. Found it! Here ==>