Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pressing Front screen heater switch also turns on air con!!

Bruce Lea

Pressing front screen heater switch also turns on air con!! How can you stop this from happening?

• Like 1

You are right. My Yaris Cross does as you describe. 

Air Con off>Front Screen on>Air Con on. 

Now press Air Con off> and Front Screen heater remains on.  It remains on whether air recirculation is on or outside air is selected. 

• Like 2

Can't the front screen heater work without the aircon coming on?

If you're using the front screen heater to demist the inside of the screen, air con being on dehumidifies the air and provides quicker demisting.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bruce Lea said:

No.

I just switch the air con off and the air keeps going to the screen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Lea said:

If you don’t like AC but you want to keep windscreen clear all the time during winter season you can select air flow towards windscreen and feet. Turn off recirculating mode, set desired temperature and your preferred fan speed.
In the morning when cold and  misting you can increase the fan speed to higher or highest to clear the windscreen quickly without using AC. No need to change the set temperature as this is automatically done by the car, when it’s cold the car will blow hotter air to warm up cabin and when is warm the system will start blowing milder or slightly cooler air to maintain preset interior temperature. When you drive directly into sunlight the temperature will decrease and when you into a tunnel the temperature may increase slightly, all done automatically. No need to use auto button at all. 
Hope this helps. 👍

• Like 3

It's like that on purpose as when screen is misty and damp it clears it quickly, Auris isn't unique doing this 

• Like 3

In fact, I would deliberately turn the AC on when demisting the windscreen on my old manual-AC cars!! :laugh: 

It just makes sense, as that button's function is to quickly clear the windscreen if interior mist, so it will direct hot dry air at the windscreen when pressed.

• Like 1

That's one of the reasons I leave my aircon on all the time 👍

• Like 1

Auris does not have a windscreen heater the switch is front screen demist hence the ventilation coming on when pressed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If you're using the front screen heater to demist the inside of the screen, air con being on dehumidifies the air and provides quicker demisting.

I press the front screen button to clear up the windscreen and aircon also comes on automatically. Your saying leave it as it is?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If you don’t like AC but you want to keep windscreen clear all the time during winter season you can select air flow towards windscreen and feet. Turn off recirculating mode, set desired temperature and your preferred fan speed.
In the morning when cold and  misting you can increase the fan speed to higher or highest to clear the windscreen quickly without using AC. No need to change the set temperature as this is automatically done by the car, when it’s cold the car will blow hotter air to warm up cabin and when is warm the system will start blowing milder or slightly cooler air to maintain preset interior temperature. When you drive directly into sunlight the temperature will decrease and when you into a tunnel the temperature may increase slightly, all done automatically. No need to use auto button at all. 
Hope this helps. 👍

It's set to to front windscreen and feet but aircon comes on automatically. Is it best left how it is?

Why does aircon automatically come on?

18 minutes ago, Bruce Lea said:

It's set to to front windscreen and feet but aircon comes on automatically. Is it best left how it is?

Why does aircon automatically come on?

Probably auto button is selected. Just set windscreen and feet, adjust temperature to 22°C switch off ac no green light should illuminate, and leave it like that. If you need more air going to the windscreen only play with fan speed. If you select the separate button for windscreen demise the AC comes on automatically to provide extra dry air and clean the windscreen faster. All cars with automatic climate control has that as standard. 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Probably auto button is selected. Just set windscreen and feet, adjust temperature to 22°C switch off ac no green light should illuminate, and leave it like that. If you need more air going to the windscreen only play with fan speed. If you select the separate button for windscreen demise the AC comes on automatically to provide extra dry air and clean the windscreen faster. All cars with automatic climate control has that as standard. 👍

Would you recommend the above method or let the AC gone on? I use the separate button for front screen demist

When I press the front screen button the speed of the air is almost full, how can I set to speed 2?

• Like 1

That button is *specifically* to clear a misty windscreen quickly - It is like a shortcut/preset/macro that sets the vents to blow through the windscreen vent only, turn the AC on and set blower speed and heat to maximum.

It's only designed to be used to clear the mist quickly, then be turned off - It's not designed to be left on all the time! (You can, but it'll be noisy AF!)

Once it's clear, you can turn it off and then set up your HVAC controls to what you want it to be. If you find it starts misting up again (Which it will if e.g. recirc is on with no AC), it's best to manually set the vent to windscreen or feet and windscreen and change from recirc to fresh air. I find that's usually enough, even without AC on. Bumping the heater up a bit will also help keep it clear.

• Like 2