Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris Paintwork issues

Cs233

Went to dealer to inspect the newly delivered Yaris. Was disappointed that there was a mark on the interior trim where the dash cam was fitted. More seriously there is a scratch on the paint and a small raised dot under the paint. Not sure if they will show in the images. The car has not been handed over as yet. I would urge all new owners to carefully check the paint. Waiting for a response but confidence is low in the build quality at the moment. Not at all happy.

IMG20221002113713.jpg

IMG20221002120053.jpg

• Sad 3

Can see the raised dot looks like a paint floor. Assume they are going to change the bonnet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The bonnet looks like watermarks and paint issues, not sure where it's been stored, but it's filthy, check the rear spoiler/trim as there are known paint issues on 2022 cars

IMG20221002113713.thumb.jpg.4ac611a384124a4dc24cf067e25a9990.jpg

• Like 4

Very disappointing not sure how this can easily be resolved without a new car not handed over or registered yet having paintwork done. Toyota have big issues if a car with a small bubble in the paint can be signed off by the factory in France. Then go to the factory at Derbyshire and be signed off again. Quite surprised this would be seen as acceptable. Will be asking Toyota for an independent paint inspection on the vehicle

• Like 3

We had black marks on the headlining back and front where the cameras had been fitted.  Also the rear cam was in the dead centre of the screen.  

It was in the swept area as recommended but too obtrusive. 

I had them clean the headlining and reposition the camera high under the overhang. 

Have you checked your tyre pressures?  Mine were grossly inflated at 2.7 bar rather than 2.1/2.0.  After resetting you then have the faff of recalibrating the TPMS. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Have you checked your tyre pressures?  Mine were grossly inflated at 2.7 bar rather than 2.1/2.0.  After resetting you then have the faff of recalibrating the TPMS. 

The car hasn’t even been handed over yet plus, I think , over inflated tyres is the least of the problems !

• Like 1

From the OP's location, I can guess the dealer. I stopped using them as soon as the warranty expired.

Scratched bumper. GB plate missing. Cabin filter installed incorrectly............................................

• Like 3

I have found no problems recently on new Toyota’s. Mine has been closely scrutinized and I have found not even a micro fault. Some Toyota owners have had a difficulty with white painted cars in particular.

• Like 2

Dealer claims raised dot that appears to be under the paint had been polished out! All defects allegedly sorted with a machine polish. Will have a look at the vehicle tomorrow and likely request a full indepdent paint inspection. Somewhat suspicious that it could be resolved without painting the vehicle in some way. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cs233 said:

Dealer claims raised dot that appears to be under the paint had been polished out! All defects allegedly sorted with a machine polish. Will have a look at the vehicle tomorrow and likely request a full indepdent paint inspection. Somewhat suspicious that it could be resolved without painting the vehicle in some way. 

These are small niggles tbh, but because are there and seen already they might be apparent to your sight even after been touched up. The more important is to have a good look at panel gaps, fit and finish on all exterior parts like bumpers, side mirrors covers, bonnet, rear hatch. Been mentioned before in a few pages post about that issue on a brand new car and the owner wasn’t happy at all, he even sold the car shortly after. There are some other members from abroad with similar issues reporting. It seems like new cars are been kind of rushed built and with minimal attention to details. Parts short supply, long buyers list, long waiting delivery times, all that obviously will impact the business, unfortunately the customers will take the hit, highest prices ever, longest waiting time ever and the quality at the end not the greatest. This is the reality todays. 

• Like 1

Having read all the posts on this car’s paintwork issues, small blemishes and even light scratches can be polished out. However, by the customer accepting such blemishes it becomes the norm and that’s not acceptable given the high price and scarcity of supply manufacturers should ensure that quality control is not diminished. I just wouldn’t accept the car!!.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cs233 said:

Dealer claims raised dot that appears to be under the paint had been polished out! All defects allegedly sorted with a machine polish.

Polish is an abrasive and as such will have removed some of the clear coat. I'd get a second, professional opinion.

• Like 2

Raised dot now shows exposed undercoat or more likely steel, it is believed it is actual steel. Refused to accept the vehicle and Toyota customer services now involved. Scratch on front bumper still present. Have declined the car to be repainted and it is now up in the air.

IMG20221004142942.jpg

• Like 1

What is going on with Toyota and paint recently, that should have never passed QC, that with be painted and sold at full retail + premium very quickly

• Like 2

Toyota customer services have refused and rejected my request for a new vehicle to be constructed and left it up to the dealer to resolve. Not what I expected from them. Here is another showing a scratch that has gone through the lacquer. Look towards bottom right of the image. Dealer is doing all they can but disgusted with Toyota UK

IMG20221004142843.jpg

• Confused 1

This is not going to be popular but i will say it anyway -

If you were to go round any new car with a magnifying glass you would find paint problems i used to work in a franchise car dealer and we used to inspect new cars coming off transporters and you never got one that was perfect the top ones used to be covered in thick plastic but it never stopped heavy hits from tree branches and the cars on the side often got several scratches these cars were painted before the customer saw them  if it were me i would let them put the paint problems right imagine waiting months for a replacement and it not being perfect

(as it probably wouldn't be)

Transporting cars: how it works | Quinns Car Transport

• Like 3

Very small marks to be polished out I see as being acceptable but not steel that can be seen. All previous vehicles ordered from other manufacturers have been fine. This is the first Toyota ordered and for sure the last

My first car had a loud howl above 30 mph.  As I lived in a town and larger urban conurbation that noise was not apparent.  

A week later I heard it and complained.  Different times, I was 18 and told to go to this place behind the gas works.  I would rather not have seen how it was fixed but it was in less than a minute. 

Trust the repairer.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cs233 said:

All previous vehicles ordered from other manufacturers have been fine. 

As i said above you are seeing an honest car the other manufacturers may have done as the one i discussed above and repaired it before you saw it, i am not saying you should accept the car until you are happy with it but why not give them a chance to put it right.

Mention trading standards and i bet things suddenly change.

3 years ago similar events will unfold very differently and in favour to the customer, sadly we are living in bad times for new or used cars purchases. Dealers and manufacturers knows that and do whatever they want. No customer satisfaction is important, it’s kind of will you take it or leave it , there are many waiting for it. Think about, if you really need a car, haggle the price , or ask for free service package or additional accessories, something small but reimburse of some sort and take the car. If not best to take your deposit back and buy another from another brand if anything available. 
Btw have you seen the average age of the people who build Yaris in Europe? They are hardly an adults, 20 years old students, likely not even motivated or well paid., perhaps missing their training too as been too drunk to attend. 🫢😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Btw have you seen the average age of the people who build Yaris in Europe? They are hardly an adults, 20 years old students, likely not even motivated or well paid., perhaps missing their training too as been too drunk to attend.

What Car? Reliability Survey

They may not be interested or well-paid but Toyota came 1st and 7th in the What car survey so they are doing something right, disappointed with the petrol at 26th fingers crossed at over 3 years old the teething problems have been fixed.

Captutttttre.JPG

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

What Car? Reliability Survey

Reliability rating 87.0%

With a fault rate of 17%, the petrol Yaris doesn’t uphold the brand’s robust reputation for dependability. Brake and suspension issues were the main bugbears. Only 14% of work was done for free and three-quarters of owners paid out between £201 and £750. All cars were put right in less than a week, though.

Capttttture.JPG

Still not too bad. 👍  I am more inclined to trust people’s reviews and opinion about cars and how they perform over time more than auto journalism or statistics. Toyota has many models that are best in class for reliability. How I know that, well just look around and you will se what people are using for business. Aygo and Yaris are the most popular food delivery cars. Auris/ Corolla and Prius are the most popular in the taxi and private hire trade now over a decade. This alone says a lot. Plus my personal experience with these cars, I am confident to say that Toyota indeed are reliable cars. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was a bit gutted with the 26th place but noticed its from 2011 to 2020 so headed over to honest John site it looks like the majority of problems are with the early cars and mainly the 1.4D-4D, i can sleep soundly again tonight  😄

(See link to full list at the bottom)

2011 Yaris 1.4D-4D 

Multidrive S CVT 

2015 Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D needed a forced DPF regeneration and oil change at 18,000 miles, costing £275.

DPF problems with the Yaris 1.4 D-4D, 

DPF regeneration problems reported with 27k mile 4 year old Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D.

Further report of DPF problems, this time with an independently serviced 28,000 mile 2012/62 Yaris D-4D:

Hot starting problem reported on 9,000 mile 2016 Toyota Yaris 1.3 CVT. 

two issues with 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.33 CVT now at 65k miles. The offside front coil spring snapped, happily replaced under an extended Toyota warranty. But also has keyless entry and go which is playing up. 

Report of 2011 Toyota Yaris 1.4D-4D showing a yellow light which on diagnostic by local garage said fuel errors.

Report of clutch thrust bearing failure on 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.33 SR at fairly low mileage, mostly suburban use. 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/toyota/yaris/2011/good

• Like 1

Yes, I had a similar nipple of metal under the paint on the bonnet of my 2022 Yaris. I also had a deformation in the rear bumper plastic, dirt in the paint in the rear wheel arch, rust spots in the front bumper paint and the rear the spoiler lacquer issue (the rear spoiler issue was nowhere near as bad as the one reported on here).

I reported it on the day of pick up and sent photos I then under a week took it to the dealer, whom were disinterested to be honest. I resolved the rust in the bumper paint myself, and requested in writing that if any of the other issues reported gave a problem during my ownership that they would sort it out.

It is hugely frustrating, but I have learnt that the quality of most things now has dropped, and we seem to have a new normal now.

I waited six months for my Yaris, and was a specification that was discontinued and no longer available, so I wasn’t going to go down the rejection route. In the end after discussing it with the wife we decided that the defects were minor and not worth pursuing a repaint/replacement. I got my money back from the supagard paint protection rubbish that I decided to give them a chance with, and got my request in writing (whether the letter stands if I get an issue is another matter!).

At the time I put mine into this perspective, I could of demanded a new car, waited another X amount of months and then by some miracle it be absolutely perfect on arrival with not a single blemish on it(unlikely). I then could of driven it off the forecourt and one hundred metres up the road got a big stone flick up and put a small dent in the bonnet and chip the paint! 

The scratch from the Dash cam being fitted is unacceptable, and should be resolved accordingly though. 
My opinion would be if it’s current condition isn’t acceptable, a respray is out the question and a replacement isn’t possible, your only choice is to walk away and go back to the previous manufactures you have said you used without issues.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

An update the vehicle is rejected and it is planned a new order will be submitted shortly. Still NO apology from Toyota despite the likely 6 month wait due to the original order being not fit for purpose. In review Toyota customer services have needed constant chasing and fallen well short of what was expected from the brand. If the new replacement vehicle has silly defects will abandon the brand and probably purchase a decade old Ford in which such paint defects would be fine 

• Like 2