Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Auris 1.6 vvti engine rattle under acceleration

Klimenz

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had engine rattle under acceleration in 2-3k rpm on Auris 1.6 petrol (circa 110k miles)

It sounds like timing chain to me but hey, what do I know. The problem is difficult to pinpoint as it's perfectly fine when stationary, either at idle or revved up. 

I have replaced timing chain tensioner at last service but symptom persists. 

It's also fine at cold starts. Actually it's better when engine is cold for, say first 10 mins of driving. 

Couple of local mechanics are just guessing - maybe water pump, maybe timing chain etc.

I'm happy to have timing chain kit fitted but don't want to throw money on old girl just to find out it wasn't that.

Also what's up with timing chain kits prices? 

Some are £300, some £50 and anything between. Any clues? I know, quality etc. but what's reasonable to pay for the kit? Suggested brands?

Chers!

Hi, 

can you record the noise and share.
 Timing chain tensioner usually cause issues only on cold starts after overnight stay or longer without car been used. Kits might be different prices depending on what type of engine you have and what’s included in the kit. Without been properly diagnosed better not to swap parts as it may turn to be something else. Toyota usually has no trouble with chains if the car maintained on time.
If you about aftermarket parts Febi does good timing chain kits and tensioners. Water pumps in these models are well known for failure, but when they do they also leak coolant. Rattle can come in certain rpm from other parts like exhaust heat shielding along the entire exhaust system., this needs to be properly checked. 👍

As well as Tony's answer above, I don't remember much in the way of forum posts on this topic for the Auris.  And your mileage is quite low for camchain problems, especially if it's got a good service history - regular oil changes, specifically.

Perhaps this is some pre-ignition you are hearing?  As it's so easy to do, I would try running a tank of some super-unleaded (98 octane) fuel in it to see if it changes the symptoms.  If it does, then it isn't the camchain.

Have you had the car long?

• Like 1

Thanks for swift replies gents. I'll try to record rattle in question later tonight. 

I've gone through obvious stuff like heat shields and other potentially loose stuff to no avail.

Had this car for 5 years and 40k miles. Mostly serviced by myself once a year (circa 8k).

No service history up to 70k might be a culprit here.

I'd say it was pretty tough 40k as a second car mainly missus lugging around kids, shopping, work.

It has been utterly reliable hence motivation to extend it's lifespan given today's astronomical prices on used market.

That trick with super unleaded will have to wait a week or so as it's been brimmed couple of days ago.

I'm yet to find decent mechanic around that doesn't want to take you to cleaners on every occasion.

I will defo keep you posted should someone stumbled on similar problem.

Well if your tank is full now you can try  some quality injector cleaners like wynns for example. It will condition the file in the tank and eventually can clean some dirt accumulated through the years of use. It’s pretty much like you have filled up with premium fuel or perhaps even better. 
Wynns 55964 325ml Injector Cleaner Petrol https://amzn.eu/d/3qNexJ1

My guess is the intake flaps.  Mine actually rattles a tiny bit when cold, under heavier load, but silent when hot. I had same issue on Mazda 3, where someone actually bothered to have it replaced before i bought it.

It's a known issue on many cars as different air path is used depending on the load, part of variable timing.

Over time they can start to get a bit loose, and thus rattle.

image.thumb.png.0073ddb0ad1c97cbdc997a9470696dda.png

Check some videos on YT, see if the sound matches what you think. 

I think if you disconnect MAF, it might go by default values, and flaps should always be in same position, so you might be able to verify it that way.

For code deletion afterwards you might need a code reader, i doubt it will go away on it's own.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links