Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Solar powered Trickle Charger

Jules9906

I own a Toyota Aygo X Trend, as I am now retired I don't use my car everyday.  Is it possible to connect a solar trickle charger to the cigarette lighter socket so it will keep my Battery in good health.

8 minutes ago, Jules9906 said:

I own a Toyota Aygo X Trend, as I am now retired I don't use my car everyday.  Is it possible to connect a solar trickle charger to the cigarette lighter socket so it will keep my battery in good health.

Probably NOT via the cigarette lighter socket. Is the cigarette lighter socket live (i.e. does it supply power) when the engine is off and the car is locked? These days the cigarette lighter socket is typically live only when the ignition is on.

There are solutions that supply power directly to the Battery and via the ODB2 socket ...

Thank you Phillip, looks like I will need to connect directly to the Battery.  Your help is appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Jules9906 said:

Thank you Phillip, looks like I will need to connect directly to the battery.  Your help is appreciated.

As Philip says you can connect via the OBD2 port and I believe that some solar panels have adapters to allow this configuration.

I’ve used a Ring solar maintainer for years on my 2008 Porsche, plugging into the 12v cig socket. The guidance with that car is that the socket goes dead about 15-20 mins after ignition off UNLESS used. So I switch engine off, exit car, pick lead off the hook and plug it in (and shut the door on the thin cable).  It’s worked for maybe 10 years now. Car is in the garage, solar panel is inside a south facing window. 

I have a Halfords Solar Panel, which came with a lead to the OBD2 connector.  Completely solved my Battery issues due to parasitic current.  Highly recommended.