Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo X - Rear Windscreen Exploded?

VictoriaR

Hello!

I was just wondering if any other Aygo X owners had experienced their rear windscreens rupturing?

I came back to my car to find the rear windscreen in the condition above.  Initially, I thought that the windscreen had been smashed/ vandalised by someone walking past.  However, on closer inspection, the vast majority of the glass appears to be on the floor away from the car, and a clear image of the glass remaining in place bowing outwards.  This suggests to me that the glass had been forced outwards, rather than being smashed inwards.  

In addition, the boot cover (which as people will know is very flexible and only clipped in) showed no signs of damage or disturbance, as you might expect if someone was trying to have a nosy in the boot (regardless, my car was completely empty of all personal effects at the time).  The car was also parked in a secure location, away from the general public.

Unfortunately, the Toyota Warranty Team have concluded that this is NOT a warranty issue, as they haven't come across a similar issue before, and therefore I am liable for the cost of replacement.

I am therefore curious to know if anyone else has experienced something similar and assumed it was vandalism, or if I really am just unlucky.  

Many thanks

Toyota view 1.jpg

Toyota view 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Has the tailgate handle gone as well?

• Like 1

Hi there! 

Yes - the glass around the handle also blew out. 

Even the top corners of the windscreen were damaged, a significant distance away from the main hole. 

I have more photos, which is just as well as they have had my car for over 2 weeks now! 

• Like 1

Probably the supply of parts are also affected by shortages,etc. 

Are you covered on your insurance for vehicle glass? If so, I'd be inclined to have a talk with them, but check where you would stand as regards excess and effect on renewal, etc.

• Like 2

I’ve seen rear screens break from the heated screen being left on, but being parked and locked up, this cannot be the case.

I found a video of glass being smashed in curiosity of which way the glass goes at the point of smashing. 
The tempered chopping board was interesting because it blew outwards at the point of smashing. 
I think it is going to be impossible to be 100% sure how it happened. It could of been a defect in the glass, or the area around the wiper motor defective or somehow clamped too tightly?

Out of interest was the rear screen facing South into the Sun? Heat expansion could of played a part. A lot to think about, but ultimately almost unsolvable, let’s hope it’s just a rogue occurrence, rather than a looming issue for early Aygo X’s !

• Like 2

Remember when the C-HR originally launched there was a issues with windscreens unexpectedly cracking which Toyota cured.

Wonder if this is the start to reports of a load of Aygo X rear windows shattering? 🤔

• Like 2

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice! I really appreciate it. 

I shall call my insurer today to get some advice and information about what they can offer. 

Because of where it was parked (I dont think in a fully southern orientation- I shall check) away from the public and general access, I don't want to think that someone smashed the windscreen. 

However, I equally don't want it to be a common fault in the new Aygo X, as I have otherwise found it a brilliant car, that even as a nervous driver, I genuinely enjoy driving! 

I shall check again to see if there is any CCTV footage available. 

Thank you again! 

WOW what a horrible thing to happen and I hope you get it sorted at minimal cost.

In the past our local Toyota dealer has come to some arrangement to repair items that have gone wrong and the cause is not clear.   Many years ago, someone had a MR 2 mk1 and he took the car in as there was a clicking from the engine.  It turned out that one of the piston rings had split and scored the cylinder.  I cannot remember if they repaired it or changed the engine but I do know that the dealership split the cost with the customer paying the least amount.  So, if they changed the engine they would have supplied it and the customer paid the labour.  It was not covered by warranty, but the dealership stated they would not expect something like this to happen on an engine of such low mileage.

• Like 2

A real shame that this has happened to you.  Like most insurance policies, you'll probably just have to pay whatever the excess is on your policy.   But as already mentioned, it will probably bump your renewal price up.

From a totally selfish point of view, I'm hoping that this is a one off defective rear window on your car and not across the range !!

I have a front and rear dash cam fitted to my Aygo X Cross with Parking Mode, I'd love to have seen the rear cam footage of that smashing...really curious.

Keep us updated.

PS: Does your car details in your Forum Profile need updated ?

• Like 1

To me look like something/someone has smashed it. Usually any car window when broken explodes outward because of the difference in the air pressure between car interior and outside. This is also the reason why many if not all cars with frameless doors has automatically lowering the side windows when closing the doors. If the door handle or any other part is missing then this explains everything. Best to speak with insurance what should be your next steps. If you have no claim bonus protection the next year premium should not be much more expensive, just a bit on top. 
Good luck 

• Like 4

Lets hope its coverd under your insurance without affecting your no clams.

If a lot of other accurances hapen then give Toyota another try.

• Like 1

was there any cctv around at the time? I know of an ex work colleague who came back to a broken window like that and it appeared to do it on its own, but that wasn't an Aygo.  

Thank you all for your kind words, shared experiences and advice. I am deeply grateful, as this has all been incredibly helpful in finding the best way forward. 

I have taken your advice and organised the repair through my insurer (via Autoglass) which, as you suggested, did not impact my no claims. The glass excess was also a lot less than the quote i was given from Toyota! 

The replacement windscreen has been ordered, so hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can drive my wonderful car again! I shall let you know! 

I hope this is a one off, and that no one else experiences a similar issue. They really are brilliant cars in every other sense. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, VictoriaR said:

Thank you all for your kind words, shared experiences and advice. I am deeply grateful, as this has all been incredibly helpful in finding the best way forward. 

I have taken your advice and organised the repair through my insurer (via Autoglass) which, as you suggested, did not impact my no claims. The glass excess was also a lot less than the quote i was given from Toyota! 

The replacement windscreen has been ordered, so hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can drive my wonderful car again! I shall let you know! 

I hope this is a one off, and that no one else experiences a similar issue. They really are brilliant cars in every other sense. 

That's good 👍. Did the Autoglass people say what may have happened (in their professional opinion)?

I think the Autoglass fitter will look at this job as a break from the usual stone-chipped-windscreen routine and, time constaints apart, look on diagnosing the likely cause as an interesting challenge.  Especially if he can be made aware of Toyota's dismissal of this being a warranty claim. Perhaps by your being present when he does the job, so you can explain the background story.

Our Autoglass chap certainly seemed to appreciate a cup of tea and an interested owner when he was doing our windscreen, and that was just a 'normal' job.

I'm sure that he will look for burrs or imperfections on any glass-attached features; ones that could cause stress-raising points in the glass.

Whilst my opinion carries no weight, I'm inclined to think the glass was mis-handled and has suffered a 'serious' scratch during manufacture - this shattering was just waiting to occur. 

We had similar happen once on a dining table place-mat made of glass.  The very loud resulting bang was heard whilst we were in the garden - luckily there was no-one in the room at the time - the glass went everywhere!

[Edit.  And there doesn't look to be any (picture) evidence of a lawnmower working nearby, which might have flicked out a stone at high speed onto your Aygo.]

• Like 5

We had a Pyrex bowl shatter some time ago the noise was tremendous as was the amount of glass chips generated.  It was well used so we were not too upset but thankful it had happened in a kitchen when no one was there.

• Like 2

My sister in law's shower door shattered for absolutely no reason.  The insurance company coughed up and mentioned that if there is a slight imperfection or fault in the glass, it can shatter at anytime, wether it's weeks or years !!

• Like 2

@Gergthat is a great idea! 

I am still waiting for an appointment from Autoglass, but I shall make sure I am home so that I can chat to the person who comes to fix it. I shall also be ready to offer cups of tea! 

If the person who comes to fix it has any additional insight, I shall pass it on! 

To those of you who have shared your experiences with shattered pyrex, you have my sympathy! When that goes, it REALL goes! It is well worth watching to see a Slo Mo Guys video on just that - spectacular! 

• Like 3

Just picked up this posting. First point to make is the fact that Toyota have not seen this problem before, and therefore it is not a warranty item, is absolute none sense. If it is a defect in manufacture they are liable. Your Autoglass man should be able to give you a good idea as to how it happened. It looks like vandalism.

• Like 2

@Donrald you make a good point.

One can only assume that the people who made that decision have NEVER sent back a faulty item they have purchased due to some sort of manufacturing fault. 

I would happily accept their decision if they had actually bothered to send someone out to take a look, or contacted me to get a full picture of the circumstances (e.g. that the location is not generally accessed by or visible to the public).

Instead, it took them over 2 weeks to effectively complete a google search to see if it has happened before, and make the assumption that it could not have been a random error/ fault. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donrald said:

Just picked up this posting. First point to make is the fact that Toyota have not seen this problem before, and therefore it is not a warranty item, is absolute none sense. If it is a defect in manufacture they are liable. Your Autoglass man should be able to give you a good idea as to how it happened. It looks like vandalism.

On what basis? 

The 2 images above in the OP give me little idea. I lost my rear window from a stone thrown by my lawn mower.  It shattered like the glass in the video.  The stone did not penetrate. 

I have seen another where a strimmer fired a stone through the window and it landed on the back seat.  The glass shattered but apart from the hole it remained intact. 

The pictures above are not clear. 

• Like 2

Guys, it could be everything.  
Even a little peace coming from outer space ☄️
Let’s wait and see what the windscreen fitter opinion will be. And these  cars are too new to have shown a manufacturer defect of rear screens or poor workmanship, however if this is the case more Aygo X windows will start to blow up and then Toyota will have no chance but to admit liability. 

At the end as Jerryrigeverything says : -“Glass is glass, and glass can break “ 📲🙂

• Like 1

We may never know the true reason for this particular event unless more data comes to light.  That said sadly, the 'we have never seen that before' defence always seems to come first.  How many times has this been said to owners of other vehicles only for it to come to light that there have been many instances of the same fault.

It will be interesting to hear the Autoglass Engineer’s view. They handle many window replacements caused by a variety of things and usually have a good idea. A relative of mine used to have an Autoglass franchise and disabused me of the idea that failures are all due to stones flying, although most are.