Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red flag day at Toyota dealership while trying to order a new Corrolla

Louie

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Well Yaris Cross after Corolla - the smaller engine has a 'chunky' sound when it starts from cold or you start to pull away on a slope.  This disappears when the revs build up.  There is no rpm indication but it would be about 1,000 rpm on a conventional car.

The windscreen is of acoustic glass whereas the 1.8 Corolla is not.  The bonnet also has acoustic cladding again the Corolla does not.  The required audio level on the radio seems to be lower though direct comparison is not possible as they use different scaling.

Overall we think the Yaris Cross is quieter.

Hm, interesting. It should have been the other way around and Corolla been quieter and more refined car. , it’s a class above. Here my thoughts why it can be the case: 

YC is top spec excel where Corolla was design, is that correct?

yaris cross have Goodyear efficient grip tyres , best summer tyres on the market , Corolla had some rubbish falkens or Bridgestone

Add the acoustic windscreen and here we have smaller car better equipped and refined than larger sister. How do they compare for comfort rides? YarisCross has a shorter wheelbase by 6cm. ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Well Yaris Cross after Corolla - the smaller engine has a 'chunky' sound when it starts from cold or you start to pull away on a slope.  This disappears when the revs build up.  There is no rpm indication but it would be about 1,000 rpm on a conventional car.

The windscreen is of acoustic glass whereas the 1.8 Corolla is not.  The bonnet also has acoustic cladding again the Corolla does not.  The required audio level on the radio seems to be lower though direct comparison is not possible as they use different scaling.

Overall we think the Yaris Cross is quieter.

Interestingly, I tested a Yaris Cross with my partner, to replace her car so she drove and I was front seat passenger and I perceived that my Corolla was quieter by some margin. It is a 2.0 Excel and so as I understand it has an acoustic windscreen and under bonnet insulation.

Tyres can also make quite a difference and I do not recall what were fitted to the Yaris I'm afraid.

David, that is true of the 2.0.  I wonder 6 what the tyre pressures were in the demo.  My dealer left them at 2.7 bar all round and 18 inch wheels. 

They should have been 2.1/2.0 

14 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

David, that is true of the 2.0.  I wonder 6 what the tyre pressures were in the demo.  My dealer left them at 2.7 bar all round and 18 inch wheels. 

They should have been 2.1/2.0 

What is it with dealers and over inflating tyres!!!!

They all seem to do it.

The tyres are over inflated at the factory so that they do not suffer from flat spots during potential storage. Obviously they should be corrected prior to delivery to the customer but this is often neglected by the dealerships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WALLOP said:

The tyres are over inflated at the factory so that they do not suffer from flat spots during potential storage. Obviously they should be corrected prior to delivery to the customer but this is often neglected by the dealerships.

Which when you inflate to the correct pressure requires the TPMS to be recalibrated.

You just redo it in the car settings

On 10/4/2022 at 11:47 PM, eyemdee said:

I couldn't agree more. My 2019 Corolla was the best car I have ever owned and trading it in for a 2022 model after just 12,500 miles was a mistake. Indifferent service from the dealer, numerous irritations with the new "better" software, cost cutting measures like removing the engine cover, and a navigation system that cannot find the obvious shortest route all combine to show that Toyota are moving backwards in customer satisfaction.

Yet , nothing that you have stated has anything to do with drivability , efficiency or reliability 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Which when you inflate to the correct pressure requires the TPMS to be recalibrated.

I have never recalibrated the TPMS in any car that I have owned and I set the tyre pressures to the manufacturers recommendation + 1.  The TPMS light illuminated in my last car when I had a puncture so I am content that it works as it should.

• Like 1

In the Focus and the RAV all I've ever done is change the pressures then tell the car these are the new normal.  If you were to change the TPMS valve itself then yes, I guess you'd have to have it coded to the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

I have never recalibrated the TPMS in any car that I have owned and I set the tyre pressures to the manufacturers recommendation + 1.  The TPMS light illuminated in my last car when I had a puncture so I am content that it works as it should.

Why the +1 pls ?

2 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

Yet , nothing that you have stated has anything to do with drivability , efficiency or reliability 🤷‍♂️

The old one was excellent in all those respects, as I hope the new one is. I have noticed very little difference. The old one just didn't have the irritations that the new one has.

2 hours ago, Trewithy said:

When the car is delivered with tyres at 2.7 bar and TPMS symbol is out,  when you deflate the tyres to the correct pressure, 0.7 bar lower, it flags up the loss of pressure. 

52 minutes ago, DC_Ms said:

Why the +1 pls ?

To allow for air lost when disconnecting? 

I see my inflator automatically stops at set pressure +0.5 psi, same logic? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are must have for difficult to reach valves and also 0 pressure lost when disconnecting the inflator hose. 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284890154894?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pgciQ2BHR3K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 hour ago, DC_Ms said:

Why the +1 pls ?

Tyres will loose air naturally over time all year round, they never gain air.   Also at this time of year as the weather gets cooler tyre pressures will drop slightly.  I check my tyres monthly, in the spring I rarely have to add any air, in the autumn I usually have to add a little each month.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

When the car is delivered with tyres at 2.7 bar and TPMS symbol is out,  when you deflate the tyres to the correct pressure, 0.7 bar lower, it flags up the loss of pressure. 

Never had that problem, always left it my cars, including my current Corolla, at the factory setting.

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

Never had that problem, always left it my cars, including my current Corolla, at the factory setting.

New cars on delivery, omg typhoon tyres will explode 🤯, pressures are always too high. In used car trade it’s exactly opposite, lower pressure on purpose so customers always excited how smooth and noise the car drives, plus very difficult to notice any worn parts on suspension, it’s just a smooth ride 🫢👌 I never done that, honestly 😉

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure they set the TPMS to recommended pressures at factory (So 30's ish), but when they later inflate them to transport and storage pressures (60+!) they don't reset the TPMS again to the new level, so if the dealer hasn't done it, you should be able to deflate them without having to reset the TPMS again, as the warning should only trigger when it drops below its set threshold.

(This is only with active TPMS sensors tho', and not the passive system)

That was the case with my Mk4 anyway (Mine was given to me with the tyres at like 4.5 bar! I don't generally use bar, so I didn't realize how high that was until I switched the system to PSI! :eek: )

• Like 3

Yeah I always add a 1/2 to count for the loss when disconnecting

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the number of comments relating to my post.

I have taken a step back and withdrawn my order and am waiting for the return of my deposit which the dealer is going to honour. The 2l Corrolla  Excel is still in "developement" so i dont believe any specs that currently come out in the press. The reason I withdrew my offer because the dealer was simply talking nonsense about everything car spec, finance etc. Dealers are a bit like estate agents who exaggerate lie and make things up as they go along.

Now my current car I like is  because being an ex biker i like the instant power delivery and the drivetrain refinement. Now having said that the GR Sport 2L is far from perfect and in my opinion is over engineered. Now being an IT/Software/Hardware man i am used to complexity but i do not want to spend my time leafing through  the user manual which resembles part of the bible. I have had to fiddle with some of the vehicle software to make it respond to the way i like and not the Toyota's default settings. This was not an easy process e.g. extending the delay time for interior lighting going off etc. 

This is the first car i have ever had  where there is still the odd thing which puzzles me as to how and why it is operating. Now Toyota i think are streets ahead in drivetrain and hybrid refinement  compared to other manufacturers.

My eye is currently on the 2L Excel  2023  from which Toyota  have now ironed out most bedbugs from the current model and this includes just about  everything so i am keeping my fingers crossed and will wait until that model is physically available for a full road test etc. So far I have only seen is the 1.8 being road tested  on YouTube and that looked odd and was scarce on any details on just about everything. One thing that bothers me is some of the 1.8 cars have seen have a strange colour design on the front grille and rear bumper which looks awful but then that could change.

I hope the new car comes with a decent set of "shoes" and not the dreadful Falken brand my GR Sport came with.

regards

Louie

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Louie said:

One thing that bothers me is some of the 1.8 cars have seen have a strange colour design on the front grille and rear bumper which looks awful but then that could change.

I think that's the camouflage that manufacturers use to hide the updated parts of their unreleased vehicles. Althought it has been revealed so i don't know why they would use it but it will definetly not be on the fully released models.

• Like 1

My dealer has said it will likely be January before they'll have one available to test drive.

15 hours ago, Louie said:

Now my current car I like is  because being an ex biker i like the instant power delivery and the drivetrain refinement. 

Surprised you're not looking around at the EVs, they've got the best instant torque, power response and refinement of any drive train technology and there's now long range models available within the price range of a well spec-ed Corolla.

Hybrid technology is a lot better than a regular petrol or diesel, but the best bit is driving around in EV mode.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your many contributions to my current thinking.

So i will begin, my initial course was to go EV but now things have changed e.g. petrol prices have gone down and the cost of charging an EV has now gone up substantially, in addition we have the cost of fitting a charging point and the subsequent disruption that would cause to the front layout of my house etc has shut the door on me going EV.

I have looked at and road tested a few EV's e.g. the new and old Kia Niro and some of the Hyundai EV models such as the Kona and some Peugeot offerings. The thing that gets me all these EV's are not cars but SUV's/Minibuses. I do not understand the British obsession with SUV's we do not live in the Rocky mountains or some vastly rugged plains etc. I want to drive a car at the end of the day not a fast minibus. I have to confess that in the past i have owned a VW Tiguan and a BMW X1  both of which I could not wait to get rid of. The problem with driving these EV/SUV's is that I felt disconnected from the road and the handling left much to be desired. Now this might not be the case with the very expensive top of the line SUV's but these are out of reach for for people like myself or folk who simply do not want to Shell out that amount of money for these status symbols. 

I think the manufacturers are guilty of shoving these bloated monster SUV,s down consumer throats and their excessive fuel demands do not help the planet one little bit. 

I am now waiting to test drive a 2023 2L Excel when that becomes a available and 

will then decide if i will spend my hard earned dosh on that vehicle. Rant over and out.