Mass air flow sensor

Aberdeen Loon

Hi wonder if anyone can help I have a 2018 Toyota avensis 2.0 diesel 

Around 2 months ago 4 lights appeared on dash , and a message saying 

Check parking brake system after a visit to my regular mechanic he told me 

Problem is with air flow sensor so called Toyota dealer as car is still under

Warranty only to be told Toyota dealer in my Area gone warranties are being 

Done by Honda dealer who intend to taking on Toyota and lexus franchise 

So eventually get car looked at yes same codes as before but the main one. 

Being for air flow sensor, and the others part of a cascade system 

Can we remove your intake manifold sir , don't worry it will be covered by 

Warranty! Turns out there was a load of carbon in there that was preventing

Some mechanism from moving. Sorry sir this is not covered by warranty

We should be charging you £600 but will only charge for an hour and not 

The eight it took £132  so I pay that go out to work as taxi driver three hours 

Later lights back on , I just happened to be very near Honda dealer so nipped in , oh we will have a look on diagnostic .... Still air flow sensor code , told to take car back in 7 days or I can leave it .as car still drives fine when I went back they had car for two and a half days but didn't look at it until the third day ,they have cleaned sensor body and dpf pressure hoses of carbon

Car has been test driven twice sir no lights coming on .A £132 please Four hours later on they came again The original plan had been to try a New sensor but that seems to forgotten about , spoke to service advisor

Struggling to get you in sir as we have lots of Toyota Lexus and Honda cars 

Waiting to be fixed etc and if we do get you in , it will be up on a ramp 

Stripping and that's a whole different ball game I was told but no explanation

So that's thing up to date still waiting on new appointment , but going to my usual mech tomorrow for service ( small good garage) perhaps he may know 

A thing or two of what different ball game means ? 

But if not would anyone of your kind selves have any knowledge or info 

That point me in the right direction as to what could be wrong with car 

As it's a pain without auto handbrake or stop start function and no digital speedo.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Loon said:

Hi wonder if anyone can help I have a 2018 Toyota avensis 2.0 diesel 

Around 2 months ago 4 lights appeared on dash , and a message saying 

Check parking brake system after a visit to my regular mechanic he told me 

Problem is with air flow sensor so called Toyota dealer as car is still under

Warranty only to be told Toyota dealer in my Area gone warranties are being 

Done by Honda dealer who intend to taking on Toyota and lexus franchise 

So eventually get car looked at yes same codes as before but the main one. 

Being for air flow sensor, and the others part of a cascade system 

Can we remove your intake manifold sir , don't worry it will be covered by 

Warranty! Turns out there was a load of carbon in there that was preventing

Some mechanism from moving. Sorry sir this is not covered by warranty

We should be charging you £600 but will only charge for an hour and not 

The eight it took £132  so I pay that go out to work as taxi driver three hours 

Later lights back on , I just happened to be very near Honda dealer so nipped in , oh we will have a look on diagnostic .... Still air flow sensor code , told to take car back in 7 days or I can leave it .as car still drives fine when I went back they had car for two and a half days but didn't look at it until the third day ,they have cleaned sensor body and dpf pressure hoses of carbon

Car has been test driven twice sir no lights coming on .A £132 please Four hours later on they came again The original plan had been to try a New sensor but that seems to forgotten about , spoke to service advisor

Struggling to get you in sir as we have lots of Toyota Lexus and Honda cars 

Waiting to be fixed etc and if we do get you in , it will be up on a ramp 

Stripping and that's a whole different ball game I was told but no explanation

So that's thing up to date still waiting on new appointment , but going to my usual mech tomorrow for service ( small good garage) perhaps he may know 

A thing or two of what different ball game means ? 

But if not would anyone of your kind selves have any knowledge or info 

That point me in the right direction as to what could be wrong with car 

As it's a pain without auto handbrake or stop start function and no digital speedo.

dam u think a 2018 u would have to pay for nothing those new bmw engine Toyota give alot of bother i see is by chance over the 100k already as they are charging now 

17 hours ago, 2009joe said:

dam u think a 2018 u would have to pay for nothing those new bmw engine Toyota give alot of bother i see is by chance over the 100k already as they are charging now 

You would hope so , but they do car has barely done 70000 miles and 8 months left on warranty for what it's worth

6 hours ago, Aberdeen Loon said:

You would hope so , but they do car has barely done 70000 miles and 8 months left on warranty for what it's worth

fk it bring it back demand u want it fixed by toyota with genuine parts pay nothing or could bring them to court get all your money back under the lemon law 

On 10/4/2022 at 11:30 PM, 2009joe said:

fk it bring it back demand u want it fixed by toyota with genuine parts pay nothing or could bring them to court get all your money back under the lemon law 

"lemon law" ???????????????????

Hi,

I currently have a similar fault with my 2016 Avensis touring where it comes up on the dash with parking brake fault and stop start malfunction. I don't have the carbon build up you talk about, however I had an auto sparky look at it originally and he said to replace the air flow sensor. Toyota quoted £480 plus vat. However, with it being a generic Bosch part I got one online for £90. It's only an electronic clip and two hex screws. Plus it's right at the air box so easy to access.

Anyway, I changed it, and it did nothing. Faults all exactly the same. The car was in for a recall so I asked Toyota to diagnose it. They have come back saying it's the handbrake actuator that needs replaced (quote £1510) which I have been trying to find a way round. But up to now I haven't managed to do. With the car due an MOT I am probably going to have to pay it.

I'm assuming you're in Aberdeen? If you're struggling to get an appointment with a Toyota dealer, there is one in Elgin and Inverness. They might see you sooner. 

Does sound like honda are treating you badly. I'd be inclined to complain to Toyota about it.

• 4 weeks later...