Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner....What a Wonderful Car!!

Coalman

So! I spent my money and bought this absolute beauty!!!  I love it! 

Obviously there are one or two issues that I thought that experienced owners may have the answer to, if you dont mind.

# The volume controls on the steering wheel don't appear to work on the Pioneer AVH-X595BT head unit.  Its no Big Deal really.

#  There is no sat nav on this unit.  I can use Waze on my android phone, and she will give me audio directions, but without a map being displayed.

# I have downloaded my phone book onto the unit via bluetooth,  I have to 'speak to google' to do a hands-free search.  My phone needs to be 'open' to use this way of finding and ringing someone.

# The rear tailgate only raises up ( its electric ) about 5ft so is dangerous.  I can physically push it up the extra 12 inches , but why doesnt it raise up to full height initially?

# As I've said before, the dashboard is still in Japanese , KMH and not MPH, which I would like changed.

# Vanity Mirror lights in sun visor do not work

Thanks for your time..... 😊

She has full leather throughout, heated front seats, electric foldaway 3rd row seats, loads of small drawers and storage,  black, course, 'plastically' , named 'Estima' carpets, dvd/cd player,  front and rear sensors, tinted windows and comes in a gold colour. I love her!!! 💝

IMG_20221004_133354004_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Great vehicle...good choice...but I am biased.!!..lol

I assume it's the 2.4..?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coalman said:

So! I spent my money and bought this absolute beauty!!!  I love it! 

Obviously there are one or two issues that I thought that experienced owners may have the answer to, if you dont mind.

# The volume controls on the steering wheel don't appear to work on the Pioneer AVH-X595BT head unit.  Its no Big Deal really.

#  There is no sat nav on this unit.  I can use Waze on my android phone, and she will give me audio directions, but without a map being displayed.

# I have downloaded my phone book onto the unit via Bluetooth,  I have to 'speak to google' to do a hands-free search.  My phone needs to be 'open' to use this way of finding and ringing someone.

# The rear tailgate only raises up ( its electric ) about 5ft so is dangerous.  I can physically push it up the extra 12 inches , but why doesnt it raise up to full height initially?

# As I've said before, the dashboard is still in Japanese , KMH and not MPH, which I would like changed.

# Vanity Mirror lights in sun visor do not work

Thanks for your time..... 😊

She has full leather throughout, heated front seats, electric foldaway 3rd row seats, loads of small drawers and storage,  black, course, 'plastically' , named 'Estima' carpets, dvd/cd player,  front and rear sensors, tinted windows and comes in a gold colour. I love her!!! 💝

IMG_20221004_133354004_HDR.jpg

Hi Paul,

Is there a button on the underside of the tailgate if so you can adjust the height and there are YouTube video

Providing the pioneer head unit was wired correctly you can go into source settings to enable. Link below.

I believe you may have to use waze map on your phone as your pioneer may not have display.

Vanity mirror light in visor possibly that a bulb needs replacing .

Hope some of this helps.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Paul,

Is there a button on the underside of the tailgate if so you can adjust the height and there are YouTube video

Providing the pioneer head unit was wired correctly you can go into source settings to enable. Link below.

I believe you may have to use waze map on your phone as your pioneer may not have display.

Vanity mirror light in visor possibly that a bulb needs replacing .

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for all of that info, I'll have a look at the things that you mention later. Cheers.

1 hour ago, RUToyota said:

Great vehicle...good choice...but I am biased.!!..lol

I assume it's the 2.4..?

Yes, 2.4 petrol.  It's just great!  I presume that it doesnt have a spare tyre, so, if you have a puncture, what do you do? 

1 hour ago, Coalman said:

Yes, 2.4 petrol.  It's just great!  I presume that it doesnt have a spare tyre, so, if you have a puncture, what do you do? 

Dunno about the spare..have you checked underneath at the back.?

So many vehicles these days don't have one...thankfully my MkII does.

Puncture.?....maybe there's a can of gunk somewhere..otherwise it's call a breakdown service I guess.

• Like 2

If you have a spare, it will be under the driver’s seat with access to the release bolt under a piece of carpet behind the driver’s seat.

• Like 3

So, a short update.  

The vanity mirror lights only work if the car's electrics are switched 'on', so that was easy to sort out.  The tailgate problem still persists.  I've watched lots of youtube vids and they all show younger toyotas having their tailgates lowered, as opposed to heightened. But even then my tailgate buttons do not make the sounds that the video's do.  I think its because they are a younger model to my 2011 version.  My push button on my tailgate doesnt activate the powerlift either. It unlocks the lid, but doesnt rise up electronically. Also..... the actual rubber button to manually open the tailgate has a smaller, rounded button next to it which emits a long ( 6-8sec ) bleep, but doesnt seem to operate anything.  I have spoken to  'Nippon auto Spares' in Derby who were helpful in telling me the smaller button is for a 'smart' key.   I was totally lost at that point!  Here is a pic of the tailgate button that doesnt lift the lid, just unlocks it on my car.

Capture.JPG

I have 2014 hybrid and tailgate only open automatically with button next to reverse mirror. I open it from key or manually when I'm outside the car. It does close automatically when I press button on tailgate.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, Beduin_ said:

I have 2014 hybrid and tailgate only open automatically with button next to reverse mirror. I open it from key or manually when I'm outside the car. It does close automatically when I press button on tailgate.

So what’s the issue? It opens and closes.

Maybe the tailgate not opening fully is to stop it hitting underground car park roofs in Japan…?

I decided against changing the headunit on mine. 

I preferred to be able to have access to all the information it gave - even if it required using my phone to translate what the screen was showing (while parked up - not while on the move!)

I don't have a powered tailgate - but then again none of the vehicles I have ever owned, had one - so I'm very ok with that - plus it gives the old arms a little work out so...all good.  I have noticed though that I need to push it all the way up - otherwise I run the risk of smacking my forehead on the lifted bottom edge!! I think the struts may be on their way out...

On 10/13/2022 at 9:59 PM, Paulscarbs said:

So what’s the issue? It opens and closes.

There is no issue. I think tailgate are design not to be open automatically through button on the tailgate.

Just answering to Coalman post about power opening tailgate in his car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links