Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

yaris cross 4 wheel drive capability

BobHos

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

You’d have to ask whoever decided to compare a Yaris Cross with a Suzuki on rollers

It was me. I took two cars of B class, both 1.5, both almost the same power, both hybrids, both AWD. Where's the problem?

You didn’t ask for owners experience, your experiments are definitive to you

I read all posts before posting mine. I read many opinions of private users out of this forum, including the ones mentioned by @TonyHSD. I also checked many opinions and tests of automotive journalists. Long time before the roller test it was clear how this system will behave, my tests just confirmed some issues. As a person associated with the subject of all wheel drive systems I joined the forum providing technical data which wasn't here and I pointed problem situations from real world conditions. I believe that hundreds of users had no issue during winter driving, for sure. But they (and especially potential users) have to be aware of the limitations. They won't get this knowledge from you, instead they will find the blaming of Suzuki dealer, Dacia dealer, blaming of tests methods, testers and suggestions of being sponsored.

If you want a budget car with a mechanical driveline that will climb out of rollers, buy a Suzuki

Or petrol Yaris Cross, depends where you live. FYI - in Japan, when Yaris Cross debuted, Toyota made a test track for journalists. There were some obstacles and a place to show how the driving modes of both (petrol & hybrid) versions work. Guess what was there - a rollers. Obviously only for lateral test.

You can’t impose your opinion on me

And vice versa. I also fully understand you omitted or ignored a few important facts about the system which you own. I clearly stated my opinion of the system, never said it's useless or anything like that. Everything is in the first comment.

16 hours ago, Garth. said:

This is completely different awd system, it has literally nothing in common with AWD-i of Yaris Cross.

OK so here is a 2023 cross in snow and on steep hills i doubt any of us would attempt just for the sake of it.

My final tuppence worth is to repeat what I have said in earlier posts which is that I am totally convinced, after my fairly extensive tests, that drivers with an adequate winter driving knowledge and skill will have absolutely no problems driving on our roads in wintery conditions with the Yaris Cross awd-i. 

Amen to that.

8 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

OK so here is a 2023 cross in snow and on steep hills i doubt any of us would attempt just for the sake of it.

Owner says it's FWD with brand new winter tires.

1 minute ago, Garth. said:

Owner says it's FWD with brand new winter tires.

Where does it say that?

If that is the case he did well to get up those hills in 2WD  i would still take AWD over 2WD. 

2 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Where does it say that?

In the comments. If momentum was kept then AWD would probably make it to the end.

Here is a AWD - (subtitles are in English)

4 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Here is a AWD - 

That's Rasto Chvala test. Please go back to my first comment where I pointed out the problem situations caused by no response from rear axle - exactly from this test.

4 minutes ago, Garth. said:

out the problem situations caused by no response from rear axle -

I really cannot be bothered to go through all the posts, there is no problem it got up the hill.

This sums it up -

My final tuppence worth is to repeat what I have said in earlier posts which is that I am totally convinced, after my fairly extensive tests, that drivers with an adequate winter driving knowledge and skill will have absolutely no problems driving on our roads in wintery conditions with the Yaris Cross awd-i. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

there is no problem it got up the hill.

Yes, at reverse gear.

On 3/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, Garth. said:

Notice what happens in the video at 28:02 - nice camera view where we can see all four wheels. Rasto starts - front axle is spinning, after a while the car starts to roll backwards - front wheels are still spinning, and the rear ones - they neither push the car forward nor hold it in place, they start to spin backwards - according to the direction of the car's rolling. Just like a front wheel drive car. Later on there are no such extreme situations, although several times we see the lack of support from the rear axle (34:10, 34:30, 46:30)

48 minutes ago, Garth. said:

Yes, at reverse gear

The guy in the video with English subtitles got round the sharp corner on the steep hill  with no problem apart from having to stop for the skiers walling down the hill.

I am not sure what the point you are trying to make is are you saying the Cross AWD system is no good as from what I have read here posted by members and seen in videos you couldn't be more wrong.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I am not sure what the point you are trying to make is are you saying the Cross AWD system is no good as from what I have read here posted by members and seen in videos you couldn't be more wrong

It's very difficult to discuss if you don't read my posts. I never said the system is no good etc. I pointed out where it fails, especially in relation to other systems - including its petrol version. Fail means non or poor help from rear axle. You linked the video with Rav4 - on the same channel you will find the same guys, on the same hill testing the Lexus UX Hybrid, which has the same awd system as Yaris Cross. Watch the video and you will know my point. And just to clarify - it doesn't matter if car makes it up the hill or not - focus on operation of front and rear axles.

If this is a place of AWD-i worship - then I am definitely in wrong place, sorry for interrupting. I'm used to constructive discussions on such topics, not just being happy of being an owner, no matter what.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Garth. said:

If this is a place of AWD-i worship - then I am definitely in wrong place, sorry for interrupting. 

You barged in like you own the place and know more than anyone else.  I’m not really interested enough to trawl through your post but you might get a better reception if your approach was different.  We probably won’t get much snow again this season but if I find the flaws you seem to think we should be concerned about, I’ll report back.  We don’t have any mountainous regions in this country or at least our big ones are like your small ones. 

32 minutes ago, Garth. said:

And just to clarify - it doesn't matter if car makes it up the hill or not - focus on operation of front and rear axles.

You couldn't be more wrong as has been said for the majority of drivers the AWD system will allow them to safely drive in the snow and ice  and that is all they want they have no interest in what the rear axle is doing or not doing all they want is a car that is better at doing the job in wintery conditions than a 2WD.

If this is a place of AWD-i worship - then I am definitely in wrong place, sorry for interrupting.

I think you need to grow up, this in  not about t he people here being AWD fanboys its about members who actually drive the cars you have based your opinion on a few videos and have come to the conclusion  conclusion that the owners are wrong and you are right. 

30 minutes ago, Garth. said:

It's very difficult to discuss if you don't read my posts. I never said the system is no good etc. I pointed out where it fails, especially in relation to other systems - including its petrol version. Fail means non or poor help from rear axle. Y

Why are you obsessed with what the rear axle does the video shows the guy make it up the hill on a sharp corner that is all that is important its not about members here  worshiping the AWD system  its about fact it does the job most members would want it to you seem to be having a great deal of difficulty takin that on board.

2 minutes ago, anchorman said:

You barged in like you own the place and know more than anyone else.  I’m not really interested enough to trawl through your post but you might get a better reception if your approach was different

So you didn't read but you know my approach. Right, there was just yawn. Well done. Feel free to correct any false information from my entry about Yaris Cross AWD-i system.

Is there still a way of blocking content on this forum folks?  Sorry, ignore member I think it is 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Garth. said:

So you didn't read but you know my approach. Right, there was just yawn. Well done. Feel free to correct any false information from my entry about Yaris Cross AWD-i system.

Would you like a little help picking those toys up?

image.jpeg.f65c1d4b5cd8d758021736b91cf378e0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

majority of drivers the AWD system will allow them to safely drive in the snow and ice

Did I claim different? If so - quote me.

what the rear axle is doing or not doing

This is the basic of fwd based awd system - rear axle operation. If in certain situations it is doing nothing - that's not right. AWD car rolling backwards with only front axle spinning - does it sound right? Test Of Lexus UX from the channel you found by yourself speaks for itself. Try to understand - from the beginning I am talking about particular situations, not overall operation.

guy make it up the hill on a sharp corner

Of course, at first attempt he made it. At second and third attempt he got stuck and we can see only front wheels spinning. Then the skiers come.

Years ago there was similar situation with Honda - it ended up with software changes by manufacturer. But then people were serious about the subject. If any of you took this subject seriously instead of attacking me - then it would be a discussion. Now it's just a hurt-boys kindergarten. And you tell me to grow up...

Would you like a little help picking those toys up?

Still hurts huh?

@anchormanSure, ignore me. Just like you ignore some facts, you know how to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Garth. said:

This is the basic of fwd based awd system - rear axle operation. If in certain situations it is doing nothing - that's not right. AWD car rolling backwards with only front axle spinning - does it sound right? Test Of Lexus UX from the channel you found by yourself speaks for itself. Try to understand - from the beginning I am talking about particular situations, not overall operation.

If you are going to quote quote the full quote don't cherry pick parts to try to prove your case!

Again you appear to be missing the point as i said - (full quote below)

Customers couldn't give a flying **** what the rear axle is doing as long as the AWD system gets them where they want to go!

You couldn't be more wrong as has been said for the majority of drivers the AWD system will allow them to safely drive in the snow and ice  and that is all they want they have no interest in what the rear axle is doing or not doing all they want is a car that is better at doing the job in wintery conditions than a 2WD.

The video clearly shows he made it up on the first attempt and could have carried on driving but he reverses to make to make the second attempt more difficult steering sharper to make the hill a tougher challenge you seriously need to take those blinkers off

• Haha 1

Here is the hill climb on the sharp bend and the drivers comments. (click for full size image )

111111111.thumb.JPG.60736edff6074a5d6ef745d8d810b2a9.JPG22222222ure.thumb.JPG.ffb19610a42f3c126e150d4477042f8f.JPG33333e.thumb.JPG.e75f0085252d40f14e51ef15ae436eab.JPG444444.thumb.JPG.2624e1343f1acd8e403dd072d1ade064.JPG

54 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Here is the hill climb on the sharp bend and the drivers comments. (click for full size image )

111111111.thumb.JPG.60736edff6074a5d6ef745d8d810b2a9.JPG22222222ure.thumb.JPG.ffb19610a42f3c126e150d4477042f8f.JPG33333e.thumb.JPG.e75f0085252d40f14e51ef15ae436eab.JPG444444.thumb.JPG.2624e1343f1acd8e403dd072d1ade064.JPG

Seriously - you're talking about blinkers while you don't see the car stopped twice after front axle overspin with no backup from the rear? A few minutes earlier you don't see it rolling backwards under throttle? A few minutes later you don't see only one front wheel spinning?

If these are the things you don't see then maybe focus on the things you can see - show me rear axle spinning in UX, can you see it? 

32 minutes ago, Garth. said:

Seriously - you're talking about blinkers while you don't see the car stopped twice after front axle overspin with no backup from the rear? A few minutes earlier you don't see it rolling backwards under throttle? A few minutes later you don't see only one front wheel spinning?

If these are the things you don't see then maybe focus on the things you can see - show me rear axle spinning in UX, can you see it? 

Which bit of owners don't buy a Cross AWD  expecting it to go places a 4x4 would go are you not getting? 

At the beginning of the video he  does the full climb in one go as the pictures and his comments above prove, he then stops goes back down and tries again and as he says in the pictures below  he steers to the steepest part of the climb doesn't keep momentum up and fails, no one in their right mind would take their Cross out in such a hilly place in conditions like this its not a 4x4 designed to cope with such conditions and they know this when they buy them. 

This doesn't mean its  a bad system and i would gladly have it over 2WD

111111111.thumb.JPG.7296c8906376ee29fdb015379c3b7585.JPG22222222ure.thumb.JPG.f15fc320b1817af9f52eb740d9c0e86c.JPG33333e.thumb.JPG.eb2acfbadbbf39d7018201e593cf377c.JPG

If you really don't see what is happening on the that hairpin then forget it. Focus on rolling backwards under throttle or driving the entire hill on reverse cause it gets stuck while going forward. And on one wheel spinning. 

18 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

This doesn't mean its  a bad system

I never said that. It's not bad but it has limitations that other systems (for example petrol Yaris Cross) do not have. In my first comment you will find full technical data about the system, from mechanics to software and the reasons for its lack of initial torque.

59 minutes ago, Garth. said:

If you really don't see what is happening on the that hairpin then forget it. Focus on rolling backwards under throttle or driving the entire hill on reverse cause it gets stuck while going forward. And on one wheel spinning. 

And you don't seem to be able to admit he got round the first time with no problem whatsoever and it was only the FACT he tried the steeper part at a slower speed that made the second attempt fail.

I again refer to my earlier post - 

At the beginning of the video he  does the full climb in one go as the pictures and his comments above prove, he then stops goes back down and tries again and as he says in the pictures below  he steers to the steepest part of the climb doesn't keep momentum up and fails, no one in their right mind would take their Cross out in such a hilly place in conditions like this its not a 4x4 designed to cope with such conditions and Cross owners  know this when they buy them. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links