Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid or Mazda 2 Hybrid

Jimota

Just be aware that the Europe only Toyota built Mazda 2 hybrid may be a relatively short term solution as Mazda are rumoured to be bringing out a new 2 in 2023-24.

• Like 1

Oooh I hadn't heard of an actual new 2 coming out, any specs/details on it?

That was one car I was waiting on as a contingency car before I got KHAAAAN'd - We were hoping they'd make a 3-pot Skyactiv-X and stick it in so we could have a 60+mpg petrol engine, but so far the SkyActiv-X hasn't really delivered on its original 'diesel-levels of mpg and torque' aspirations.

Is a bit moot now since events led me to getting the Mk4, and the Mk4's M15A-FXE will blow any standalone ICE out of the water for mpg with all 3 cylinders for the foreseeable future, but I'm still curious to see if the X would work better in a lighter car like the 2, as opposed to the now terrifyingly gigantic 3!!

Must admit I was half-expecting Mazda to pull out of the small-car segment and focus on SUVs like almost every other car maker seems to be headed...!

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

I will say even on the 185/65r15s on mine, the car is not wanting for grip in the corners :naughty: 

I think the main thing is tyre choice - Stick some Pilot Sport 4's or similar on it and it'll grip for days thanks to the excellent chassis and suspension improvements, even with narrower tyres.

I think the wider tyres would help tyre longevity tho' as I am just shredding the fronts I mean dang that stop start traffic and urban driving causing so much front tyre wear and also roundabouts :whistling1:

I must admit, the Mazda version is slightly more appealing to me - The smaller rims and dark interior I'd prefer over light interior and 17" rims that mine came with, and now especially as Toyota have dropped the HUD, it would be a slam-dunk for me to go with the Mazda if I was getting it right now!

My MK3 with 185mm imo perform poorly around bends, I didn't like the lack of grip and bodyroll from day one. 195mm on the excel trim will improve it. So 205mm with a stiffer chassis on the mk4 will be great, I will look forward to those rural and country roads again, without having to work so hard at cornering. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

My MK3 with 185mm imo perform poorly around bends, I didn't like the lack of grip and bodyroll from day one. 195mm on the excel trim will improve it. So 205mm with a stiffer chassis on the mk4 will be great, I will look forward to those rural and country roads again, without having to work so hard at cornering. 

Suspension and car body dimensions plus weight play a big role in the difference between two generations of Yaris or Corolla. The latest ones are very different from the previous generations and even with smaller wheels - tyres sets they still handle better and are nicer to drive. I seen many complaints about gen 1 Auris non hybrid ones but my hybrid with slightly lower and stiffer suspension is great drive on country lanes even with standard 16” wheels and smaller tyres. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jimota said:

My son is waiting for the car wow quotes for the Mazda so he can compare them with the Toyota prices before approaching both dealerships.  Unfortunately, I’m still waiting for delivery of the new Yaris Cross so I can’t give any recommendations in regard to Toyota.  The plot thickens, as they say.  I’d also be delighted to receive any further comments or recommendations.

Cheers

I'd also be considering the servicing position going forward. Toyota dealerships should be highly experienced with dealing with these cars and in particular the Hybrid drivetrain, Mazda on the other hand will be much less experienced.

• Like 1

Ok, I am not an expert in new car sales and purchases but here is my thinking. These rebadged Toyota cars along with Suzuki models will only be available for sale for two to three years until the mother companies develop their own models to the specs required for emissions or whatever and then they will discontinue these reworked Toyotas. They will be parts available on request or perhaps and likely the owners of these cars might be directed to Toyota dealerships for parts and aftercare ( service). Warranty perhaps will be as on the day of the deal was made when new. They might classify for extended Toyota warranty or might not, no one knows for sure but they always gonna be cheaper option and there are now new and will be even better savings to be made as used car purchase in t(e future. Again, these are only my thoughts. Not an expert in the field at all. 

I think they will still provide after sale service and just order the parts from Toyota basically. They can still make some income from servicing and replacements of parts etc. 

45 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

They will be parts available on request or perhaps and likely the owners of these cars might be directed to Toyota dealerships for parts and aftercare ( service). Warranty perhaps will be as on the day of the deal was made when new. They might classify for extended Toyota warranty or might not,

Having had experience of cars built by one manufacturer but badged as another, Toyota dealers won't have the VIN details on the Toyota system, so won't be able to supp!y most parts as they cannot be certain of correct fit. This was confirmed by another member who tried to get parts for their Suzuki Swace from a Toyota dealer and couldn't for the reason outlined above.

As regards warranty, that will be the responsibility of Mazda in this case.

We had a Honda built by Rover, and Honda wouldn't touch Rover parts as they hadn't gone through Honda's quality control processes. We also had a Mazda built by Ford - a first generation 2007 Mazda 2 which was a sister car to the Fiesta/Fusion and built by Ford on the same production line. Warranty again was Mazda's as was the extended warranty.

As regards the Mazda 2 hybrid, Mazda will offer their own extended warranty for customers to purchase should they wish. These won't be eligible for Toyota's Relax as they are not Toyotas.

• Like 4

Rover parts were inferior to Honda and what gave Rover a somewhat unfair reputation. 

I had a zs180 and I fitted the sheddist kit.

This was basically a metal slave cylinder bracket from the Honda rather than the Rover plastic cheap one which warped over time and made gear changes really difficult.

In other respects the zs180 was a cracking car, it was a v6 and it handled really well.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

It always cracks me up when I see one - It's *literally* just a Yaris with Mazda badges instead of Toyota ones! :laugh:

I think this is the least effort I've ever seen in a car re-badge - It's literally the exact same car, built in the same factory, same panels, parts, paint, just with different badges stuck on! :laugh: 

Not the first time Toyota have done this. 

The second generation Yaris was re-badged as a Daihatsu Charade in the couple of years before Daihatsu pulled out of Europe.

In some Asian markets the Prius + is sold as the Daihatsu Mebius (also in five seater form).

On the other hand several Daihatsu models models have been re-badged as Toyotas: eg. Daihatsu Boon/Sirion sold as the Toyota Passo, Daihatsu Terios sold as the Toyota Cami and Rush, Daihatsu Mira sold as the Toyota Pixis, etc.

• Like 1

Just waiting for a reply regarding the warranty and to find out what the coverage is on the Battery pack - its looking after 3 years it's a paid-extended warranty, Toyota rolled this into the service costs with relax

with the quality of Toyota dealerships around here, warranties don't mean much

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not the first time Toyota have done this. 

The second generation Yaris was re-badged as a Daihatsu Charade in the couple of years before Daihatsu pulled out of Europe.

In some Asian markets the Prius + is sold as the Daihatsu Mebius (also in five seater form).

On the other hand several Daihatsu models models have been re-badged as Toyotas: eg. Daihatsu Boon/Sirion sold as the Toyota Passo, Daihatsu Terios sold as the Toyota Cami and Rush, Daihatsu Mira sold as the Toyota Pixis, etc.

Are we talking literal rebadging as was done with the Mazda Yaris?

I must admit I can't think of a similar case I've personally seen, where literally nothing was changed about the car aside from the Badge!

Someone mentioned the Aygo but that had clear differences to the 107 and C1, i.e. they didn't just take an Aygo and literally rebadge it, but changed some panels, seat material etc.. which is what I normally expect when they do some rebadging, just to differentiate them at least slightly!

Edit: Ahaha yeah I see the Charade! Definitely a Mk2 rebadge :laugh: So they do have form for this, although Daihatsu is still really Toyota so it's not as weird as doing it with a totally separate company!

Daihatsu Charade:

image.thumb.png.d9bc130ea0e1b15f2380f83ffd45b6d0.png

• Like 3

Mazda 2 hybrid, warranty 3 years or 60k miles then yearly extended warranty, current build time is 25-30 weeks for the Select trim

• Like 2

I have to share this video of what I consider a good review by a guy that may have watched Clarkson a few times .

@Jimota heres a view from a MazdaYaris owner, albeit for only 2 weeks and 200 miles.

I am a very well trained driver (I used to have a blue light on my roof 😉) and live in the countryside and commute via A roads and motorways. The Mazda was bought because it is a Toyota and far more advanced than the Mazda2 which you may also see tomorrow. Think chalk and cheese.

I havent driven the car hard or with any anger yet, but I would have absolute confidence in the hands of a reasonable driver, the grip, handling and suspension copes with what is thrown at. I have a Select version on 16" wheels, Bridgestone tyres and mudflaps 😅

The interior is pure Yaris, but not identical to any particular spec. I have the seats from the Yaris Dynamic, wireless phone charging, heads up display all the safety kit, folding mirrors, etc etc.

The exterior is no different panel wise. I chose the lovely black metallic and in sunlight its fab. Most dealers have the metallic grey in the showroom, ours had a red demo. If he can, ask for a test drive in one with HUD, first Ive had, my next car will have one for sure. Superb piece of kit.

Mazda dealers were offering a £500 contribution when I bought, not sure if thats still the case. APR is reasonable considering present economy, not sure how long that will last, some manufacturers are increasing readily.

The warranty was a small issue for me, only a small one. Not sure how long I'll be keeping mine as we may move in next year or two. If we do, the BM and Mazzyaris may go to 100% electric alternatives...we'll see. I cant imagine an extension wohld be too expensive.

Servicing, I have both Toyota and Mazda close by so Mazda first. If I walked in to  toyota dealership and asked them to undertake a service on my car, I dont think theyd ask me to leave tbh.

Good luck tomorrow, take your time and guide him well. Exciting times 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Llynyfan said:

Servicing, I have both Toyota and Mazda close by so Mazda first. If I walked in to  toyota dealership and asked them to undertake a service on my car, I dont think theyd ask me to leave tbh.

However they wouldn't be able to do warranty work on the car as the warranty would be Mazda's, and they almost certainly wouldn't have access to Mazda's electronic service records.

• Like 1

The TNGA platform it's built on really is a masterpiece of engineering!

I don't know how they did it, but the Mk4 corners really nicely without compromising the suspension and damping - In the Mk3 they tried to stop the car being as roly-poly as the Mk2 by stiffening the suspension, and while that did fix the roly-polyness it did make the ride noticeably harder than the Mk2's fairly comfortable and softly sprung setup.

It may be the 15" rims I'm on, but I find the Mk4 has the handling and flat cornering but still soaks up bumps very very well - Even the way it goes over speed bumps is so much better than the Mk1 and Mk2! There are a few that were like a kick up the bum in my old cars, but the Mk4 damps them so well I feel like I wouldn't need to slow down for them... :naughty:  :laugh: 

Normally it's Fords that are the benchmark for good handling and driving feel - The Fiestas and Focuses are usually very pleasant to drive - but the Mk4 is right up there IMHO.

It's funny in a way because, coming from a Mk1 and a Mk2, I find it very un-Yarisy :laugh: 

• Like 4

Just back from my Toyota dealer where my son purchased a Yaris Design model.  He didn’t bother visiting the Mazda dealership but had a look at the Honda Jazz and liked the look of it but didn’t like the driving position.  He felt it was pointless taking it for a test drive so returned to the Toyota and completed the deal.  Delivery date is around 6 - 8 months.

• Like 3

Felt a bit disappointed that my son didn’t go and test drive the Mazda 2.  I was really interested in comparing the two marques.

• Like 1

The only differences are equipments, otherwise it's a Yaris.

Edit: Oh you meant the non hybrid Mazda 🙃

• Like 1

@Jimota he doesnt seem in any rush then! It is a shame he didnt go over to Mazda but hey, he has something he wants to look forward to now.

Yes, he was really impressed with the Yaris and was going to buy it on the spot but his girlfriend advised him to try out the Jazz.  I kept a diplomatic distance. Need I say more!

• Like 1

The Jazz isn't great, its got a bit of the older generation, given up on life vibe

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links