Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difference AYGO X to old version worth while buying new ?

haelewyn

Recently I saw a youtube movie on a POV test drive with the new Aygo.
I watched the CVT version test drive and normal gearbox testdrive.
Noticed that for driving on highway the revs go up to 6000+...  and that was one thing I already hated with the Auris HSD.

My dealer's salesman advised me to not take the CVT as I couldn't get used before to the sound the Auris makes while revving on highway.
To me that is a lot of noise but no power coming out of the car.. Hated it.

For about 8000 euro extra I could turn my current Aygo in for a manual gearbox type (I have a manual now too) but then a luxury version.
I do have the heated seats now on my Aygo (aftermarket install) and the reverse camera + sensors (sensors aftermarket installed).

It seems the clutch system is renewed on Aygo X (no more cable operated) but the engine is still the same.
I do find the 1000 cc three cylinder to be a bit on the low power side so I would like to have a bigger and more powerful engine.

They did have a Corolla for the same price (second hand) as a higher spec Aygo, three years old and about 50.000 miles, HSD.

I wonder what I would do, keeping in mind that to keep the Aygo is an option too.

Pro new Aygo :  bigger trunk, clutch system operation is better, new car again, low consumption stays a plus, low cost vehicle, better multimedia and entertainment inside, ...
Con Aygo : still the same weak engine (72 ps), small trunk even though it got bigger, seats in the back not very accessible but don't use them often, 

Pro Corolla : HSD with even lower consumption, more comfort, bigger trunk, 
Con Corolla : HSD being expensive to repair for Battery but drove enough so batt will be ok, high price IMHO for second hand car this size, 

Keep the car I have : good idea too and saves me 8000 euro.

Anyone wanting to make the thinking exercise with me ?

• Like 1

For me its a no brainer - mk2 2020 Aygo currently with the X shift auto version. Don't trust the auto gear box to last long enough beyond 3 years to pay off the finance and keep it, so I'll be trading it in next year for the new Aygo X. I used to have a Honda Jazz with the CVT auto and loved it, so will be looking forward to having it again.

I think for you, you may want to go with the Corolla hybrid if you already enjoy the Auris. 

I hated the Auris a bit actually. 
Bad thing to hate it as it wasn't a very bad car but I didn't like driving this stage of HSD (hybrid) and it already had squeeking brakes (contacting surface) at 15000 miles.. 

And I was too strict on a Toyota product to accept this.

Further more it started beeping loud sometimes on the highway for front parking sensor alarm (something in front of you !!) and they didn't manage to solve that ..

So, no ... I didn't like the Auris and that was the reason why I sold it rather fast and even for a low price compared to what they are going now. 

• Like 1

Agree totally with Wiz, hopefully my new X will be turning up in the next few weeks and I also have an X-shift model and will pretty much reiterate his thoughts in that I wouldn't trust it after a few years. I'm enjoying it at the moment as it's a pain in my commute with a manual and it makes life so much easier but don't trust those actuators to last and when they go it's big bucks! My X is an auto and after having test driven one around town I had no issues with it, smoother and less clunky, sure you can get the revs to kick up but I only noticed it under a heavy load of the throttle and I very rarely drive in that manner so I found it fine.

You wouldn't get it covered under Relax warranty of 10 years if the actuators go out ? Or not maintaining the car at a dealer ?

I guess Multimedia wouldn't be covered but auto gearbox.... should be a part of extended warranty, no ?

This is one aspect of my driving I've had to change since having the Mk4 Yaris - The first 'automatic' I've owned!

At first it was a bit annoying how I'd plant the accelerator to my desired power level and the car would hesitate for a second before throwing me back into the seat and jumping straight there, rather than a progressive increase of torque and power like I was used to, but I realized it's because, as a manual driver, I normally control torque delivery with gears as well as the accelerator - Select a higher gear, push the accelerator, let the power build until it catches up with where.

With the Mk4, and I guess most CVT-style shift systems, it just goes straight to the level of power that you ask with the accelerator, even if it means redlining the engine!

I've learned I have to use the accelerator more progressively - Don't just push it right to the power level I want, but increase pressure more gradually as the car accelerates, using the speed at which I increase pedal pressure to control the revs and power.

It's a little hard to describe, but it's subtly different to how you'd drive a gearbox with fixed ratios.

It does feel like some of the finesses and subtlety of control my left foot used, to do has had to be transferred to my right foot!

Now I can very quickly get to even 70mph without ever going over 2.5-3k RPM, just by more progressive use of the accelerator (Well, except when I want to, because that 3-pot is hilarious when it switches to Otto-cycle mode and starts getting its growl on :laugh: )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

You wouldn't get it covered under Relax warranty of 10 years if the actuators go out ?

In the Relax terms and conditions, under automatic gearbox electronic actuators are listed as covered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I've learned I have to use the accelerator more progressively - Don't just push it right to the power level I want, but increase pressure more gradually as the car accelerates, using the speed at which I increase pedal pressure to control the revs and power.

It's a little hard to describe, but it's subtly different to how you'd drive a gearbox with fixed ratios.

I think if I remember well, it's a driving style where you add throttle every time the car hurried up a bit and is slowing down hurrying up / tends to lessen the hurrying up.  No ?

Always increase throttle position every second or so ... or X seconds. Instead of going to 100 percent at once cause then you need to be immune for the engine screaming at you and cursing at everybody.

• Like 1

We were looking for a late Aygo manual for my young adult daughter and family run around town. The test drive went well and we considered buying the car. The salesman said try the Aygo X. We did. So much a better car. Higher, longer, wider and more spacious inside. The seats are so much more comfortable and the high up driving position gives better visibility. We now have a Aygo X pure 5 speed manual. Very impressed with all the equipment and it has most of the safety features that came with my C-HR. It is a smaller Yaris Cross and shares the same platform albeit shortened.

Pure.jpg

• Like 3

Thinking of adding the Tokyo red pack to break up the white

tokyo red pack.jpg

tokyo red packa.jpg

Or go faster stripes!!

sticker set.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

I think if I remember well, it's a driving style where you add throttle every time the car hurried up a bit and is slowing down hurrying up / tends to lessen the hurrying up.  No ?

Always increase throttle position every second or so ... or X seconds. Instead of going to 100 percent at once cause then you need to be immune for the engine screaming at you and cursing at everybody.

Yes, that's pretty much the idea - Gradual/Progressive input. It kinda feels like dangling a carrot in front of the proverbial donkey, just have the accelerator slightly ahead of how fast the car is going instead of going straight to 100%.

This keeps the revs within polite levels while still giving decent acceleration.

It takes a bit of getting used to coming from a manual, but mostly mitigates the CVT-ness.

• Like 1

Well, imo Aygo it’s an Aygo and no matter what reg it is or trim level it will always be a small city car , no comparison with auris / Corolla, not even with Yaris. These are different categories cars and obviously more comfortable, the bigger = the better. If you fancy a change best to get Corolla or Yaris especially if you about an auto transmission., because the hybrids has the smoothest one.  The cvt’s as cyker says are different types of transmission and requires different approach when used, particularly on high speed drives. They are not designed for fast driving and under heavy loads, that’s for sure. If you like that type of driving, better to avoid even the most powerful Toyota hybrid or even non hybrid car, cvt irs not good at this.
Polo GTI with dual clutch transmission will be much more suitable for you. I drive Auris hybrid on motorways exclusively and I love it, i learned how to drive it efficiently and quietly without need to rev her up to get to the speed. There are some tricks with these e cvt’s how to get them up to speed without need to rev them up so badly., and they can deliver more linear and more responsive acceleration. 👌

• Like 3

Let's try to list all things that have become better with the AYGO X , compared to the last Aygo . All things being just what i have read. I didn't test the Aygo X myself yet.

- bit bigger, should take away the disadvantage of the small width, seeking road behavior of the Aygo. Slightly bigger trunk.

- trim levels got better a bit since all have the Toyota safety sense now, altough under an other name (assistant ... or whatever)

- New dash, so more modern layout of the radio and mileage counter

- better clutch system on the manual transmission, better automatic gearbox since it's a decent CVT now

- better aircon they told me ... Altough I am doubting that an engine with a shortage of hp wouldn't be necked by any aircon system

Con : still no automatic window opening which was a mistake all along, still the folding out windows but that can't be a problem for people like me who always drive alone or max with one other person.

Still the same engine that lacks power. Need to rev it up high to get it going. When I need to do that after leaving from home with cold engine but need to pull in with the traffic on the highway, then I kind of hate it more. Feel homesick to my old 132 hp engine that did the job always just fine and went as an arrow with a small push on the pedal.

Anyone wants to add anything I missed ?

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, haelewyn said:

Anyone wants to add anything I missed ?

Just my thoughts on this, and bear in mind I don't really "get" SUV's and crossovers in general. 

They increased the wheel size

• The bigger tyres are more expensive to replace
  • Lower profile tyres are more vulnerable to damage from potholes, which you get a lot of in a city. 
  • Increased diameter changes the gearing, and the Aygo already had rather long gearing to begin with (maybe they accounted for this)
  • Increased unsprung weight (bad)
  • The increased rolling resistance from the wider tyres is bad for fuel economy
  • 17/18" wheels seem excessive to me for what is meant to be a small cheap city car

They jacked up the ride height

• Raises the centre of gravity and makes the handling worse (and I've never had any visibility issues with the ride height of old model) 

Bigger body, added weight (but not upped the power)

• it's actually slower than the model it replaces, which itself was already a very slow car (Would it have killed them to make the 1KRVET engine available ?)
  • The extra weight also means it uses more fuel than it otherwise would have done. I know they've improved efficiency, it may actually be more economical than the older model, but think how much better it could have been without the extra weight. 
  • Still not a big car, but bigger than the old model so presumably not as easy to thread through small gaps and get into tight parking spaces (city driving)
  • I haven't driven one yet, do those rear pillars make it more awkward to see out the back of it (and park) ? 

And purely subjective I don't like the looks. 

For sure there are plenty of positive things to say about it, many of which have already been mentioned.... Extra equipment, better soundproofing, improved safety features... maybe if I drive one I might be a bit keener on it. 

**Edit** There are downsides to small wheels of course, like on the old model. They do tend to drop into potholes rather than ride over them like a bigger wheel would. 

• Like 5

Sure .. I do agree with your comments on wheel size and tyre choice. I can understand they have chosen what they have chosen because of the will to make the car higher and more look like an SUV.

I remember on the Auris I had , a lounge trim, they installed 17 inch wheels on, low ride height, that made the car drive worse , made the potholes more hard on the back and caused the (built for economy) HSD consume more petrol.

In my mind that was a crazy and unexplainable choice but ...  it seems they do things this way at Toyota.

• Like 3

You can always find positives and negatives about the new model in comparison with the older one. If you have already an Aygo 2019-> why do you need to upgrade to the latest model and pay extra money? If you have your existing car on finance and can return I get the latest for as little as £5-£10 a month more, yes why not. But having to pay £8000 more for the same car just a bit bigger on look, a car that won’t deliver anything more to you as driving experience or efficiency or performance. The real upgrade over Aygo it’s Yaris hybrid or Corolla . Aygo its an Aygo no matter what generation is. This dilemma is very similar to a new iPhone upgrade.  Every year there are new models that are slightly better than the ones from last year, is it worth buying a new model every year, definitely not. 🙂👍

• Like 3

The new Aygo X is a great car. The difference between it and the previous version/versions is like comparing chalk and cheese. The new model is more comfortable, quieter and smoother and plenty of space for the front seat passengers. I sat in a Jaguar F Pace for a 2.5 hour journey yesterday and the leg room and space for the front passengers is little different. They do sit further away from each other though in the Jag because of the massive central console. My X is automatic and you have to remember the engine is not big and it takes a little while to adjust to a new style of driving with it. Be gentle with the accelerator. Don’t floor it and expect things to happen. They will but the revs go right up up. There is no need to do it.

Our old 13.5 year old Aygo has been sold to my son. My grandson drives it and his description of it is “Ace”!  I wonder how he will describe the X as you can’t get higher than “Ace”!

• Like 2

It is very Toyota behaviour, i.e. they have a car which ostensibly has a certain target audience, then later go on to alter it to make it less appealing to that audience :laugh: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You can always find positives and negatives about the new model in comparison with the older one. If you have already an Aygo 2019-> why do you need to upgrade to the latest model and pay extra money? If you have your existing car on finance and can return I get the latest for as little as £5-£10 a month more, yes why not. But having to pay £8000 more for the same car just a bit bigger on look, a car that won’t deliver anything more to you as driving experience or efficiency or performance. The real upgrade over Aygo it’s Yaris hybrid or Corolla . Aygo its an Aygo no matter what generation is. This dilemma is very similar to a new iPhone upgrade.  Every year there are new models that are slightly better than the ones from last year, is it worth buying a new model every year, definitely not. 🙂👍

Good points, for me the Aygo X is too much of a oddity, the new Yaris took my money and will again.

• Like 1

The funny thing is the X is practically a Mk2 Yaris in terms of size :laugh: 

If it had the flexible interior of the Mk2 and the drivetrain of the Mk4 I would very likely have gotten one as it's a foot shorter than the Mk4 which would make parking that much easier!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 3:21 PM, Cyker said:

The funny thing is the X is practically a Mk2 Yaris in terms of size :laugh: 

If it had the flexible interior of the Mk2 and the drivetrain of the Mk4 I would very likely have gotten one as it's a foot shorter than the Mk4 which would make parking that much easier!

Now that would have made for a excellent Aygo X 👍

• Like 2

Honestly, I work for an other big car brand that is not Japanese ..
I didn't work for the brand itself but for breakdown services >> 
They are not giving me a car so I can choose whatever I want and think is best for me..
I have asked with some buyers (second hand) if they can do me a favor on a car with a good service history which I think is important, pref a Auris / Corolla or a Volvo 40/60.

For example : if I would buy a car of the brand group I work for I would just have a look at the service history.
A 2 year old car that went to the garage more than 3 times ?   I could see why and what was done.
If it's not something very ordinary in the history , it's best to leave the car for an other customer .. 

Volvo : I don't think at all that is better than Toyota ..  Not at all .
But it's about the only brand that has made my heart beat faster for the last 30 years.
Bought one , one time ...  Damn !!  Real monday morning product. Everything wrong on it.

I do hate the clutch system on Aygo.

The petrol consumption makes it hard to part to an other brand as that would mean a daily extra cost of a few euro. Which builds up in time.
Also not having the 10 year warranty is a bit of a knock off.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 9:45 PM, ClairesC-HR said:

Thinking of adding the Tokyo red pack to break up the white

tokyo red pack.jpg

tokyo red packa.jpg

Or go faster stripes!!

sticker set.jpg

Nice apart from the go faster in a slow car go faster sticker set.

Personally, I would spend a little bit more money on a Yaris.  

• Like 2

Okay, so I’m fairly qualified here to answer this, but it’s subjective and not everyone is going to agree.

I’ve had a 2015 Aygo and a 2021 Aygo.

I now own a Yaris 2022 and a Aygo X 2022.

The 2015/2021 Aygo’s were good cars but they felt dated and were a proper city car and in the end I didn’t feel safe driving one, (wife had an accident in a bigger car and it going me thinking what would of happened if she had been in the Aygo that day).

The 2022 Yaris is a good car, and is definitely the car for a longer trip, but the 17 inch wheels make for an uncomfortable ride around towns/cities, and I’m not about to start swapping wheels about (before that’s suggested).

Its also a bit, sterile, feels a bit cumbersome, it’s good but it’s no drivers car.

The Aygo X. Well, I really like it, drives really well on 17inch wheels, very comfortable around town and corners well (find it laughable one of the post’s questions the handling when they haven’t driven it yet!). It isn’t lost on a motorway (I’ve driven 60 miles on motorway in it, and it kept up). I like the improved clutch, it’s plenty quick enough around town and has a lot of safety features as standard. 
Yes it’s the same engine but it’s definitely more efficient than my 2021 Aygo.

The looks, well I agree is not as pleasing to the eye as the 2021 Aygo was but it’s not ugly and has grown on me.

The Aygo X is a great car, for the money in basic spec, although starts to get a little pricey as you go up the range. 
So, what do I choose off the drive? Well, the Yaris isn’t the keys I choose first, the Aygo X is my car of choice at the moment, the wife is opposite, she prefers the Yaris.

Its all subjective, as I’m sure someone will come along and dissect my opinion.

• Like 1