Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difference AYGO X to old version worth while buying new ?

haelewyn

17 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Honestly, I work for an other big car brand that is not Japanese ..
I didn't work for the brand itself but for breakdown services >> 
They are not giving me a car so I can choose whatever I want and think is best for me..
I have asked with some buyers (second hand) if they can do me a favor on a car with a good service history which I think is important, pref a Auris / Corolla or a Volvo 40/60.

For example : if I would buy a car of the brand group I work for I would just have a look at the service history.
A 2 year old car that went to the garage more than 3 times ?   I could see why and what was done.
If it's not something very ordinary in the history , it's best to leave the car for an other customer .. 

Volvo : I don't think at all that is better than Toyota ..  Not at all .
But it's about the only brand that has made my heart beat faster for the last 30 years.
Bought one , one time ...  Damn !!  Real monday morning product. Everything wrong on it.

I do hate the clutch system on Aygo.

The petrol consumption makes it hard to part to an other brand as that would mean a daily extra cost of a few euro. Which builds up in time.
Also not having the 10 year warranty is a bit of a knock off.

There is a misconception having a long warranty is of some immense value. Usually they give you little more than you have anyway under current legislation. 

• Like 1

Oh I'm glad my thoughts re: the handling brought a little joy and amusement to the world 😃 but seriously for the record I didn't say the Aygo-X handling was bad as such. I haven't driven it so I couldn't possibly comment. 

What I was trying to say was that in general, raising the ride height of any car has a negative impact on the handling. It's why sports cars are low slung and SUV's struggle with the moose test. Ride quality aside, if I raised the ride height of my 2012 Aygo it would make the handling worse, if I lowered the ride height it would make the handling better (up to a point anyway). 

So that's what I meant, and with that in mind, looking at it from from my point of view owning a 2012 Aygo. The new replacement for my car has a raised ride height, for me I see it as a negative. 

I'm sure that Aygo-X has perfectly adequate handling, lets be honest we're not talking about some sort of sports car here in either case.  A small city car ought to be nippy and agile though, and the original was always rather an entertaining little thing without having to go fast in it (something that's lost on a lot of modern cars). 

• Like 1

The Aygo X is a fair bit wider than the Aygo, and the corresponding increase in track may compensate for the extra height's effect on handling.

Interestingly the Aygo X is only 20mm narrower than the Auris (1740mm as opposed to 1760).

• Like 2

Wow, why all the negativity towards the Aygo X and from people who don’t own one and have never driven one!

The Yaris is a great car but £10,000 more so just not affordable for a run around.

The Yaris Cross was my husband’s choice and he tried hard to influence my decision. Once spec’d up we were in C-HR money so I tried the C-HR and there was no way I was going to buy anything else.

The Aygo X is for my adult daughter and a family run around. It is great.

My husband is a complete car snob and drove 10 new Landrovers over 30 years but now shares my C-HR. Well until the Aygo X arrived. Every time he goes out he picks up the Aygo X keys. I asked why and he said the Aygo X is great fun drive and corners like its on rails. He has become a boy racer again. Well not very much boy!

• Like 1

The second generation Aygo was a re-worked first generation albeit with a more steeply raked windscreen - so the basic design is 17 years old. 

The Aygo X is a brand new design, based on a larger platform. It is still the entry level Toyota and is still relatively cheap, given how car prices have increased over the years. Even the entry level Dacia is now £12.6K. Back when Dacia first entered the UK, their cheapest car (without a radio) was £5,995, whereas the basic Aygo was £8,495. So the pricing diffferential between the cheapest Sandero and the cheapest Aygo X is still somewhat similar.

As regards comparing the Aygo X to the Yaris, yes, the Yaris is a better car, but, in the UK also costs from £5,805 or 37% more - so it should be better for that price difference.

Anyhow the question the topic raises is re the Aygo and Aygo X - not the Yaris, so comparing the Aygo X to the Yaris is off topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't think there was much negativity, if anything it's quite a balanced thread compared to some...!

IIRC the aygox is still TNGA-B so it'll benefit from some of the same suspension and chassis improvements the Yaris has, but it's still taller and narrower so will be subject to physics!

If I was choosing between the two I'd get one over the previous purely for the gearbox!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

If I was choosing between the two I'd get one over the previous purely for the gearbox!

Again the topic isn't about the Aygo X and the Yaris, it is about the Aygo and Aygo X.

• Like 1

Ha, yeah a line is missing from my post for some reason, but I *WAS* talking about the aygo and aygox! :laugh: 

The sentence you quote doesn't make sense otherwise - The aygox doesn't have an improved gearbox over the Yaris, but it does over the aygo!

• Like 1

I test dove the Aygo and the manual gearbox was poor in comparison to the Aygo X. For all the critics go try one. The Aygo is dead long live the X

• Like 1

Yeah, that was my main gripe about the Aygo; You got used to the high biting point eventually, but it wasn't 'nice', even if the rest of the car was a lot of fun. It sounds like they finally fixed that in the Aygox, plus even the autobox being the CVT instead of the MMT should make it much more pleasant to drive!

It's funny - I wasn't a big fan of CVTs (Actual CVTs, not the hybrid 'eCVTs') because they had a reputation for being really fragile and expensive to repair, but somehow Toyota have Toyota'd it and it's probably one of the most reliable gearboxes they make! (I've seen more posts about problems with manual gearboxes on this forum than the CVTs! :laugh: )

I will miss the Aygo tho', there aren't many small nippy cars left these days, and as much as I dislike the gearbox, it was hilarious fun to go for a joyride in something so small and light! :laugh: I'd love to have a go in one that had the Blitz supercharger kit installed... :whistling1:

• Like 1

As I've said before, we don't have an issue with the clutch biting point. Remember our test drive, just got in and drove it. The same with our Aygo - we have two cars and don't have an issue swopping between the two.

• Like 2

After one year, I still feel like the Aygo isn't able to move off it's place as fast as any decent car would do nowadays. Just because of the bad clutch system.
I keep on carefully juggling with the clutch to get it moving from a fraffic light f.e. and after one year the car sometimes still stalls on me when the back wheels are in a small ditch because of lack of power.

Aircon doesn't have enough power ...   Car doesn't have enough power.
Asked my salesman if the car would get a better engine but it seems there are no plans for that.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:24 AM, Donrald said:

There is a misconception having a long warranty is of some immense value. Usually they give you little more than you have anyway under current legislation. 

I disagree.

I do find ten years warranty to be a very important tool to be able to calculate the cost of ownership in advance.
Having driven FIAT and RENAULT in the past, a 10 year warranty (conditional) would have been a life saver.

So ... for me it's a reason to buy this brand or an other.

The best warranty is the one you never need of course. It's best to buy a car that never breaks down unless after a mistake of the driver.
Also in that regard Toyota is a fine choice. 
But again : knowing that, if they didn't build or develop my car decently enough, I am happy to know that they will still cover the big costs their mistakes cause.
Or it gives me the hope that they will have built the car to keep on driving without major problems for a long time.

Also, I do change cars regularly and my car, logically, will never be out of warranty that way. 
Misery and cost that will follow after warranty is for the next owners. Not for me.

• Like 1

Went to test-drive the new Aygo today.

Getting back new price - 1750 euro for my one year and two months old Aygo. That seems ok.

New one having the better clutch system, bigger trunk, complete safety sense, new multimedia, higher driving position..

Which kind of makes it a no brainer to change to the X.

Or maybe consider the Yaris first....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

Went to test-drive the new Aygo today.

Getting back new price - 1750 euro for my one year and two months old Aygo. That seems ok.

New one having the better clutch system, bigger trunk, complete safety sense, new multimedia, higher driving position..

Which kind of makes it a no brainer to change to the X.

Or maybe consider the Yaris first....

Have not driven the new Aygo X but the new MK4 Yaris is the best yet i would definitely recommend a test drive, it's great to drive and 67.2 MPG and that's mainly short drives to work! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The thinking is over.
I have ordered the Aygo X.

Reasons why it was almost a no brainer to me :

- High price for my current Aygo on second hand market and with the dealer

- Promotion on the new model which doesn't seem to sell well out here. I can't see them appearing in our streets at all.

- The Aygo X being undoubtedly a better car with many safety devices, better looks, bigger trunk, wider inside so no more driving shoulder to shoulder, GPS standard (on Envy), connected services, more 'adult' multimedia system,
Better clutch system, start-stop now included to maybe can even have a bit better consumption figure,

• Like 5

Adding one more thing for the ones who would have the same question / Idea :

They made the new X run really more smooth. 
Maybe partly cause of the new gearbox. Could be the engine management that is approved.
No longer the achy breaky shakey thing.

• Like 2

Anybody having an idea about the spreading of the gears ?

Maximum speed in 2nd gear still 105 km/u ?  Probably not.

Any news on the aircon ? Is this one in the aygo-x better in cooling capacity or is it making the car as undeliverable as in the old aygo sometimes?

No idea what kind of progress can be expected.

• Like 1

Oops... website changed again to the same price as last month.

1 november being a holiday :

Yesterday the price for october wasn't valid any more and same toyota discount wasn't applied to the november price yet.

They seem to have corrected this.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone has an idea if they DID change the clutch system with a small hydraulic pump or does it still use a cable?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After owning the AYGO X for as good as a year (- one week), I wanted to make a list again of things I like and hate.
You never know if it benefits someone.   🙂

The cons I remember mainly, same as it was in the previous AYGO II :

- Slow engine, not a racer at all

- Second gear still makes a cracking sound when the car is cold. Same as in the AYGO II, so they didn't do anything about it at Toyota.

- Better clutch but still  not great. You could have thought they would have made it really good if they changed it but they didn't. Still high grabbing point, still a clutch that doesn't let you drive away like you stole it unless if you neglect mechanical carefulness.

- Heater is rubbish doesn't seem to get the car warm on any distance. A recent test showed me that if i put the heater on 19 degrees and drove for one hour OR put the heater on 21 degrees and drove for an hour, it's still 15 degrees inside the car with an outside temp of 12 degrees. No matter if I measure high or low in the cabin. Maybe I should push the 'automatic' button always to make it adjust to the temperature I am asking. Test of that still coming up.

- Very light back doors. Awful production quality / impression if you close them. Shame on Toyota for making a car in this price range so 'basic'. Same for the cheap windows in the back...   not TOO bad for me as I use the back in 99 percent of drives to put groceries in or not at all.

Good things :

Better interior space, more luxury, wider car, drives nicer (a bit).
Inside in the front it feels like any other car now. Not a small threewheeler interior any more.
Fine safety systems : on any road here with a white line on the side, the car will push away from the line every time I would cross or touch it. That's a nice feature and I find it useful.

Beeps to not cross lines are sometimes a pain in the a** but I keep them on just for safety.
The accident warning system beeps even louder and luckily a bit too fast.
I have heard it warning me several times but never had the feeling an accident was going to happen.
I bet the adaptive cruise control is nice too but until now I only used it to test and play. Not really benefitted from it yet.
I do think this is a less tiring car to drive distances.

Windows opening button can't be pushed once to open the window completely. You need to keep your finger on the button.

Not the car that is to blame :   prices for maintenance starting to get really high. Too high. But in return you get the 10 year Relax warranty and the breakdown service.

My exact consumption over one year was 4.85 liter / 100 km (around 58 mpg).
Knowing that I still do town traffic and short rides regularly, I think this is very good.

• Like 2

i tested the cvt gearbox version and hated it tbh. we went for the manual.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Beeps to not cross lines are sometimes a pain in the a** but I keep them on just for safety.
The accident warning system beeps even louder and luckily a bit too fast.
I have heard it warning me several times but never had the feeling an accident was going to happen.
I bet the adaptive cruise control is nice too but until now I only used it to test and play. Not really benefitted from it yet.

If the LTA is the same as the Yaris, that can be set to vibration through the steering wheel, which, once I realised what it was, is just fine by me.

Adaptive cruise control is good for even shorter trips where you don't want to go over the limit but want to set steady speed. Mostly good on motorways, but if there are many closely spaced exits then when some one cuts in at the last minute to take the exit the car will slow down more than a human would, i.e. it doesn't see the fast approaching cut in.

I had a loaner with CVT, which I thought was pretty decent, close to Hybrid smoothness. OTOH, the engine is anaemic so not worth thrashing it.

18 hours ago, haelewyn said:

My exact consumption over one year was 4.85 liter / 100 km (around 58 mpg).
Knowing that I still do town traffic and short rides regularly, I think this is very good.

That's more than a Yaris hybrid, by 1l/100km, but the price difference means that you have to driver something like 350,000 km to break even. There's definitely a niche for the Aygo X.

• Like 1

The yaris hybrid is -in real life numbers- consuming 4,5 liter per 100 km average, according to spritmonitor.

That is only 0,35 liter per 100 km better than my consumption in aygoX, so even less worth while to buy the yaris hybrid.

The aygoX (selected all aygo's after 2022) does an average of 5,28 l/100 km on spritmonitor. Compared to the yaris hybrid owners who did 5,2 liter per 100 km...  extremely small theoretical advantage there.

General number for all aygo's was 5,33 l/100 km.

• Like 2

But then you get people like me who can get 80mpg (3.5L/100km) in summer :naughty: 

I think the downsides are fair - The Aygo is supposed to be a lower grade than the Yaris so they can't uplift it too far - The Yaris Mk4 only just got all-1-touch window controls for the first time in a Yaris on the driver's controls, and even my Mk2 only had 1-touch to make the driver's window go down but not up!

If it's any consolation, the Yaris rear doors are as tinny as the Aygo's :laugh: 

BTW, is there an easier/slang term for L/100km? It's so awkward to say compared to "mpg"!

• Like 1