Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo X Ltd Edition smell whilst reversing

Chespin

Hi All,

Just took delivery of my new Aygo X Ltd Ed been driving it for just over a week but have just noticed today that it had a smell that resembled burning perhaps when I reverse. The first time it was a quick reverse up the road to make way for an oncoming vehicle and the other time was when reverse parking on a hill. Any thoughts on what it might be, do I need to be worried? I have gone back before over concerns on other Aygo's and no one can ever seem to replicate them.

Thanks in advance!

Probably the new exhaust just giving off that new smell as it heats up.

Or indeed the smell of the exhaust gases giving you the smell of the new engine 👍

Yes I agree, I think it’s the clutch smelling.

I noticed it a lot on my 2021 Aygo, especially when reversing on to the drive and parking on the hill opposite my parents house.

After a few thousand miles it got a lot better and was barely ever noticeable.

My Aygo X I haven’t noticed the smell much and it’s still in very young mileage territory. 
I did notice on the Motorway when I first picked it up a burning smell which was probably oils burning off the exhaust as it was running at full operating Temperature. 

I wouldn’t personally be overly worried about it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMO it’s the clutch… I have an AYGO X 2022 pure, and as habit I liked to reverse up the driveway up an incline (about 1%).. The there was the smell of burning clutch.. 

I believe that the biting point in see quite high and the car gets temperamental at low speeds while reversing - as you are always massaging the biting point… 

So now I drive straight in to the driveway instead)

• Like 1

The worst car I ever had for smells, well smell retention was a Mazda. If an occupant broke wind the smell could linger for three days!😂💨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, AygoIvan said:

IMO it’s the clutch… I have an AYGO X 2022 pure, and as habit I liked to reverse up the driveway up an incline (about 1%).. The there was the smell of burning clutch.. 

I believe that the biting point in see quite high and the car gets temperamental at low speeds while reversing - as you are always massaging the biting point… 

mine does that and she's two years old now, but she's worse on driveway especially if I have to readjust. I reverse in because of the close proximity of the neighbours cars.

• 1 month later...

I currently have this on my Aygo X which I got in October, I've complained about it and they are replacing the clutch for free after they did a clutch bleed but of course they are not admitting there is a fault. My concern is what long term damage was it doing as the garage admitted others users have reported the same issue, Waiting to see how this ends as at this point I requested a refund as I've never had it on other new cars. Garage is being stubborn and pretty much ignoring Consumer law at this point, I've reached out to the area manager as the people in the dealership have been very slow to respond and dragging this out in the hope I just get bored and go away. I've asked them to now prove the fault wasn't there at the point of sale which is currently being glossed over because they are replacing the clutch for free.

• Like 1

I must admit, I have not had this issue and I actually have a very long drive.  I reverse all the way up the side drive to get to the garage and that's about 100ft (in old money)🤣

Are the people that have this issue noticing it when just doing normal reverse manoeuvres?

3 hours ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

I must admit, I have not had this issue and I actually have a very long drive.  I reverse all the way up the side drive to get to the garage and that's about 100ft (in old money)🤣

Are the people that have this issue noticing it when just doing normal reverse manoeuvres?

I noticed it on both my old 2021 Aygo and Aygo X, usually when reversing backwards up an incline. 
My Aygo X hasn’t emitted the smell since the 350 mile mark so I expect the clutch as bedded in now as it is mainly used in heavy traffic. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, AygoIvan said:

In October 2021 my wife purchased a 21 reg Aygo as new but pre-registered with 10 miles on the clock. The vehicle has just over 8,000 miles on the clock today.

Within a couple of weeks of purchase we complained about a smell. It was identified by a Toyota engineer as originating from the clutch material, occurring whenever the clutch was slipping, hill starts, moving off from stationary etc. It was not present whist the car was running normally.  Our car is parked on a small incline and we back out of our drive every morning. When doing this the smell is disgusting and occasionally overpowering and we have to open the widows to let the smell out.
We have visited our local Toyota agency several times and staff there said there were similar customer complaints which they have reported to Toyota UK with no response. We have filled in a complaints form on the Toyota UK website ourselves with no response or even acknowledgement.  I think it is unacceptable for this problem to be unresolved. One worry is that this smell is not only totally objectionable but may be toxic.

• Like 1

The Aygo has always made slow maneuvers somewhat tricky, especially in reverse, especially uphill. You have to give some gas, you cannot use the sole clutch pedal because the car lacks torque. You have to accelerate but very gently, while struggling to find the biting point. This implies burning the clutch. If you have thick soled-shoes, and the extra weight of passagers, I would rather be maneuvering a Countach.

Brand new car, brand new clutch that needs breaking in, uphill road, biting point, do not say more.

The Aygo X did not improve that, many reviewers mentioned the high biting point on the latest Aygo.

• Like 1

There is no inherent problem with Aygo clutches and the "smell" issue, it's all down to the way you sometimes need to operate the vehicle due to the lack of power and torque especially when the vehicle has more than one occupant.

Rev any car and slip the clutch a lot and your nostrils will be assaulted with a similar odour.

• Like 1