Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 Aygo clutch slipping and humming sound

Ben565

I bought my 2012 Aygo about 7yrs ago from a main dealer, 1 owner, 20k on the clock, I've always had it serviced on the dot at a main dealer.  I made it to 86k before needing to replace the clutch, and even then only because the pedal had got heavy and the garage suspected pressure plate failure. So I'm a bit miffed I'm now at 116k and the new clutch is slipping, pulling away in 1st, changing 1st to 2nd, and changing 2nd to 3rd it slips. Over 60k maybe even 86k on the original clutch, but only 30k on the new one, what gives ? 

Additional to that, it's started making a humming/grinding sound. Only noticeable above 50mph, sometimes the road noise drowns it out so it's not THAT loud. Coasting in neutral makes no difference so it's not related to engine speed. It doesn't pull to one side, but it does feel like something is holding it back, almost like the handbrake is dragging slightly. 

I took it to the main dealer, who reckon they can't find anything wrong with it. They reckon they took it out for a drive, had it up on the ramps, checked all the wheel bearings. I even spoke to the mechanic who catagorically said nothing wrong with the wheel bearings. Charged me £60 for investigation to tell me nothing wrong, they said to keep driving it until it gets worse and then they might be able to find the problem then. Ha! yeah I'll wait until something seizes up/falls off on the motorway and have what's left of it recovered to you. 

I don't really want to spend another £60 for nothing so I'm just wondering if anybody on here has any thoughts what might be the problem. Maybe the there really is no problem with the wheel bearings, maybe a transmission problem, worn bearing in the gearbox, knackered diff.... could be tyre noise although I'm on the 2nd set of these Continental's and the last lot never made a noise as they wore down.

I may get the tracking checked today, although last time I got it checked at the local... fast fit place, they tested it as a Wigo and I don't think that's the same car. They told me they couldn't adjust it into spec and something must be bent in the suspension. Oh dear i thought, took it to the main dealer to investigate. They did the tracking just fine. I had a copy of the test results, the specs from the fast fit place, totally different to the actual Toyota specs. 

My first guess was going to be the clutch release bearing - Do you get the noise when stationary in neutral? Given you're having a slippy clutch it does strongly suggest these are all related.

Was the clutch done at a main dealer or independent, and if the latter do you know what was replaced when you had the clutch done and what make of clutch it was?

Usually normal manuals have three piece clutch kits - Clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing (Some newer cars with CSCs omit the release bearing), and the quality can vary quite wildly.

The Toyota ones are the safest bet as, but can be more expensive. I've had Valeo, LUK and Exedy ones in the past and they've been okay as well.

Also, I think earlier Aygos around that time had clutch issues as they had 180mm clutches, which wore out very quickly, so they nicked the 190mm ones from the Yaris and started fitting those instead as they lasted much longer. If it was an indep, I wonder if the garage fitted the 180mm by mistake?

No I don't get any unusual noises when stationary at idle. I agree the noise started first, and now the slippy clutch does suggest it's related and getting worse. 

Clutch was done at an independent (main dealer wanted over £800). I think it was an Luk clutch, but I'm not sure. Yes I did wonder if they put the right one in, mine would have had the upgraded part from new. It is possible they put the 180mm one in by mistake, and 30k life sounds about right for that. Although I'd have thought it would be hard now to order and receive the wrong one.

I remember at the time (might have even posted it on here) after the new clutch was put in I did notice vibration through the steering wheel on the motorway. Didn't notice it before, and never got to the bottom of it. I can't say I really notice it these days though, so it's either resolved itself or I've got used to it. Maybe related to the current issue.

The Aygo uses a clutch cable, so it needs adjustment

noise at a set speed is classic wheel bearing, usually the rears go first, its a complete hub with ABS sensor

take it to an independent, older cars at a main dealer are a big no, they will just want to extract your money

• Like 2

Thanks, I'll see about getting the cable checked/adjusted then before it cooks the clutch. Don't remember having to have it adjusted before, unless they just did it as part of the service. In which case it should have been checked 3 times already since the new clutch was put in. 

Rears would make sense as it's not pulling to one side

Problem is finding a good independent. 

Hmm good point about the clutch cable; I wonder if it wasn't re-set properly when the new clutch was put in?

I was thinking also whether the pressure plate is on correctly - On most cars they have to be on the flywheel in a certain position otherwise they're very unbalanced, but usually the bolt holes on the flywheel force it to be bolted in correctly otherwise not all the bolts will go in. This is all just random idle speculation tho', usually such an imbalance would be very noticeable at higher RPM!

re. the bearings, wouldn't the bearings rattle when spun on a ramp if they were on the way out? I'm sure the dealer should have picked that up given they checked them. Would be some serious egg on their face if it does turn out to be the bearings! They are fairly easy to change at least, esp. the rears.

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Hmm good point about the clutch cable; I wonder if it wasn't re-set properly when the new clutch was put in?

Wouldn't surprise me, I thought the independent I took it too was ok as they are supposedly used to have a franchise for Toyota. They tried to tell me I needed to replace my (iridium) spark plugs because they were flashing over. I asked them to show me.... annnd no, quite clearly just a bit of corona discharge. So either trying it on or genuinely didn't know. Either way, not good. 

• Like 1

I know what you mean, finding a good indep is tricky. In fact, just finding someone who actually cares is hard!

Most cars use self-adjusting hydraulic clutches so I can imagine the clutch cable recalibration could be inadvertently overlooked if they don't do them very often...

When bearings start to go, you may not be able to hear/feel it on the ramp you need to listen to it with a stethoscope

years ago i diagnosed a car after being seen by 5-6 garages, with an odd vibration between 43-48 mph, not until i see a picture of the car i realized what it was................

A Mickey Mouse ™️ Aerial topper, at speed it would cause the aerial to resonate

• Haha 3

I had a leaf stuck to my aerial yesterday actually after leaving it parked under a tree for a couple of days. Made quite the buzzing noise down main road. I can well imagine the noise an aerial topper would make. Good spot 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Most cars use self-adjusting hydraulic clutches so I can imagine the clutch cable recalibration could be inadvertently overlooked if they don't do them very often...

Been having a read about it. I have A/C on my car, which apparently makes getting at the adjustment nut a right PITA. Another possible reason it might not have got done, if indeed that is the case. 

• Like 1

sorry but lol

the clutch cable is on top of the gearbox A/C is on the fan/aux belt end

• Like 2

I can't remember where I read it now, it's not the A/C unit itself that's the issue, like you said that's on the Aux belt end. More to do with the way things are routed into the cabin I think. 

I haven't looked to be fair, just what I read

** found it** last post here  https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/177838-how-to-adjust-the-clutch-cable/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've resolved the humming noise now, so I thought I'd update this post with a resolution.

I took it to an independent garage for the MOT, around 120k on the clock (so an extra 4k miles since I first took it to Toyota main dealer). They picked up on the MOT rear wheel bearing noisy and marked it as an advisory. I said to Toyota main dealer 4k miles ago it was a wheel bearing, they charged me £60 to say (and were quite adamant) nothing wrong with the wheel bearings. So I'm rather annoyed with them. 

Regards the clutch slipping, the cable isn't adjustable apparently. Both local indy and main dealer told me that. Weirdly though it stopped slipping, it got quite bad but then just started working fine. Current theory is the seal at the engine end is leaking oil onto the clutch, it slips for a while, burns it off, and then works ok again. Just the last couple of days it's started slipping again, so oil leaking onto it seems the most likely explanation. 

mk1 aygo has a manually adjustable clutch cable, unless it's an MMT

Access to adjust the clutch on the manual Aygo is difficult to do from the top when A/C is fitted. I find its better to do it from underneath if a ramp is available, or by removing the near side front wheel to gain access through the wheel arch.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links