Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2016 Yaris usb port.

markybug

So driving to work this morning I thought I would charge my iPhone via the usb socket in the car. Unfortunately nothing happens , no reaction? Checked cable once inside at work and it is functioning. 

is the usb socket not for charging? Is it literally just for usb sticks , iPod playback etc ?

i have a cigarette lighter to iPhone lightning cable from my old 2005 polo , but it’s a cumbersome beast in comparison!

mark. 

Update, had a try again whilst car in car park and the charging symbol appears on the phone , but off and on ? Like flicking a switch back and forth steadily. 

never stayed long enough to see if charging tho n

What flash said - Standard USB sockets only supply 5v and 0.5A, but a lot of newer phones are too power hungry to be able to charge off that.

The intermittent charging may just be corrosion or dirt on the connector - A wipe or spray with some electrical contact cleaner may help.

That said, it may be cable is iffy as flash says - I find the lightning and usb-c connectors are very fragile and just can't stand up to repeated plug/unplug cycles, esp. if any sort of tension is on the connector (e.g. if the cable is coiled and pressing the connector at an angle). If you get a good quality cable they are not too bad but they are usually outrageously expensive (£20-30! For what's basically a short length of copper and rubber sheathing!) and will still fail eventually, just not as quickly.

29 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What flash said - Standard USB sockets only supply 5v and 0.5A, but a lot of newer phones are too power hungry to be able to charge off that.

With the huge batteries modern phones now have plugging in is not really necessary unless you are going to be using the phone for several hours i mainly use mine for music playback over bluetooth so if only travelling shortish distances i don't bother.

I'm just saying a lot of them use more than 0.5A while in use so it's not physically possible to charge a lot of them with standard USB ports.

And those big batteries will only last if they are charged! If I had a quid for every time someone's begged a charge cable off me at work because they forgot to charge their phone and the Battery is about to die... well, I'd be able to afford a few of those fancy expensive charge cables at least! :laugh: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'm just saying a lot of them use more than 0.5A while in use so it's not physically possible to charge a lot of them with standard USB ports.

And those big batteries will only last if they are charged! If I had a quid for every time someone's begged a charge cable off me at work because they forgot to charge their phone and the battery is about to die... well, I'd be able to afford a few of those fancy expensive charge cables at least! :laugh: 

😀

If it's not a bad cable there's always the 12v outlet

Momax UC10 Fast Car Charger - USB-C PD, QC3.0 - 36W

• Like 1

The cable whilst not an official Apple one is brand new and worked outwith the car. Think what posters are saying regarding low power output seems the case ?

will just use my retro cigarette lighter to iPhone cable i guess:-)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links