Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Yaris MK4 not starting after curtain airbags deployed

James16777

Hi everyone, can someone please help with this topic. I recently bought a 2021 Yaris hybrid MK4 and the curtain airbags and front passenger seats were deployed after fixing the body the car has no power into the radio, heating/air con, electric windows and the lights. I also get a message display that says “12-Volt Battery Charging System Malfunction Stop in a Safe Place SeeOwner's Manual” and “hybrid system malfunction”.

the car starts if you jump it with another Battery and drives for like 5 minutes then cuts the power off again. My question is, is all this caused because the airbags have been deployed and it just needs an ECU reset or is the fuses are blown and needs replacing?

if someone can get back to i would appreciate it so much.

• Like 1

Sorry, cannot help with the tech stuff, but maybe someone here can.

But out of interest, have you just bought a rebuilt write off?

46 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Sorry, cannot help with the tech stuff, but maybe someone here can.

But out of interest, have you just bought a rebuilt write off?

Hi mate not i bought the car through auction and rebuilt it myself, got the airbags booked in for tomorrow hopefully the ecu reset does the job.

• Like 1

IIRC when the airbags go off it trips some sort of failsafe in a lot of cars to stop the car being driven; I don't know if it's just some fuses or something or a flag in the ECU that needs to be reset tho'!.

• Like 1

Presumably the car has been classed as a repairable write off.  - the V5C should show the write off category.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cyker said:

IIRC when the airbags go off it trips some sort of failsafe in a lot of cars to stop the car being driven; I don't know if it's just some fuses or something or a flag in the ECU that needs to be reset tho'!.

Hi, I called someone to come check the fuses today he said they are all fine, only fuse i am thinking that is blown is it could be the pyro fuse triggered by the OCR module but again am not certain that it can be that. Also when I received the car there was a orange wire that connects to the hybrid Battery pack under the rear seats that orange wire was disconnected but I reconnected it and the other was driving the car and the car cut off and i found out that the same wire had come loose again so potentially does that need to be replaced?

30 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably the car has been classed as a repairable write off.  - the V5C should show the write off category.

It is cat S

Best to visit Toyota dealer and ask the service department for help. They will tell you what options you have. There might be a procedures for deactivating the crash mode that might be in after the accident. Todays cars are like tablets on wheels and they require a software set ups as much as the dealing mechanical issues or body repairs. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Best to visit Toyota dealer and ask the service department for help. They will tell you what options you have. There might be a procedures for deactivating the crash mode that might be in after the accident. Todays cars are like tablets on wheels and they require a software set ups as much as the dealing mechanical issues or body repairs. 

I have got it booked in for airbag repair tomorrow hopefully when they do the ECU reset it will solve the problem, but i rang the dealership and they said that i will have to take the car there and leave it they refused to help me over the phone or gave me no options of what it could be that has caused it.

• Like 1

Presumably the airbag repair will be at your cost as the warranty becomes void for insurance write offs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James16777 said:

they refused to help me over the phone or gave me no options of what it could be that has caused it.

What did you expect? They are a business and dishing out their advice for free wouldn't make any sense. You need to be realistic about the difference between a forum like this and a dealer.

Well, the dealer advice may secure or may not a future business with the car owner. The service department can at least give a quick suggestions about the problem and first insight. Perhaps will be very different approach by the different dealers. 

“Steven Eagell St. Albans branch” for example  I visited once and talked to the service department, the man was very polite, he invited me in , took the car details, loaded them into the system and after a 5 min chat he realised I am a diy mechanic and he gave me all valuable information and suggested what should I double check and what do I need to do myself to fix the car. He also gave me a quote  if I want to go ahead with them and let them work on the car instead. At the end he said very honestly, “ to save money and time , simply do all the things yourself and if you still have issues afterwards, you are welcome to book an appointment and we will take care of your car” , this is what I would call a professional approach. Well done 👍 

Since that day I always buy parts from them and they deliver promptly next day. 

• Like 3

Dealers don't usually touch write-offs, the warranty is also void

The airbag ecu will need replacing or reset on the bench, the DCM also needs to be reset - replace the 12v Battery - hybrids do not like being jumped multiple times - If the Battery is not holding a charge or is borderline it will make the electronics freak and/or the charging system will not charge

Don't forget the seat belts also need to be reset/repaired and the pretensioners changed

be aware there are some unscrupulous places that will stitch the seats back up cut the airbag's back and just solder in resistors to fake an airbag

when you get the car back, scan it for codes

• Like 4

Has the emergency fuel cutoff been triggered? Does it need reset? It's a small cutoff valve in the engine compartment of most cars to stop fuel leaks from causing fires due to crash damage in the fuel line.

• Like 1

This has been a fascinating topic to follow.  Years ago you could buy a write off and use your diy skills to bring the vehicle up to an acceptable legal standard.  Today is a completely different ball game as there is so much electronic wizardry used in the modern motor cars that the average person or decent motor mechanic/panel bearer will struggle to cope with.  

Cheers

• Like 2

It's had a side impact/swipe, more than likely had the interior light on due to the door's and/or the sos system paging, then being sat in a recovery yard then a salvage yard the Battery is done for

as it's a hybrid, the system cuts the contactor power in an accident what kills the engine

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeSh said:

What did you expect? They are a business and dishing out their advice for free wouldn't make any sense. You need to be realistic about the difference between a forum like this and a dealer.

Doesn’t matter they should still give you some insight of what it could be as i always go there to buy any parts that are needed a bit of advice won’t make the business go bankrupt

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Well, the dealer advice may secure or may not a future business with the car owner. The service department can at least give a quick suggestions about the problem and first insight. Perhaps will be very different approach by the different dealers. 

“Steven Eagell St. Albans branch” for example  I visited once and talked to the service department, the man was very polite, he invited me in , took the car details, loaded them into the system and after a 5 min chat he realised I am a diy mechanic and he gave me all valuable information and suggested what should I double check and what do I need to do myself to fix the car. He also gave me a quote  if I want to go ahead with them and let them work on the car instead. At the end he said very honestly, “ to save money and time , simply do all the things yourself and if you still have issues afterwards, you are welcome to book an appointment and we will take care of your car” , this is what I would call a professional approach. Well done 👍 

Since that day I always buy parts from them and they deliver promptly next day. 

Exactly what i was thinking as i always take my cars to get them serviced there and I’ve bought a car from them as well not long ago for myself and this write off Yaris is just purely for my business.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flash22 said:

Dealers don't usually touch write-offs, the warranty is also void

The airbag ecu will need replacing or reset on the bench, the DCM also needs to be reset - replace the 12v battery - hybrids do not like being jumped multiple times - If the battery is not holding a charge or is borderline it will make the electronics freak and/or the charging system will not charge

Don't forget the seat belts also need to be reset/repaired and the pretensioners changed

be aware there are some unscrupulous places that will stitch the seats back up cut the airbag's back and just solder in resistors to fake an airbag

when you get the car back, scan it for codes

Seats i bought brand new ones and the car is being repaired by the airbag team it has been recommended by a few people to me hopefully it should all be sorted with the ecu reset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul9 said:

Has the emergency fuel cutoff been triggered? Does it need reset? It's a small cutoff valve in the engine compartment of most cars to stop fuel leaks from causing fires due to crash damage in the fuel line.

I am not sure when i charge the 12v Battery and put it back the car runs fine the engine turns and idles as normal but then after 5 mins the car shuts of and displays an error about 12v Battery being low.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jimota said:

This has been a fascinating topic to follow.  Years ago you could buy a write off and use your diy skills to bring the vehicle up to an acceptable legal standard.  Today is a completely different ball game as there is so much electronic wizardry used in the modern motor cars that the average person or decent motor mechanic/panel bearer will struggle to cope with.  

Cheers

It is an headache trying to figure out what is causing the issue had a few guys come down and plug their diagnostic tools in but still no luck.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's had a side impact/swipe, more than likely had the interior light on due to the door's and/or the sos system paging, then being sat in a recovery yard then a salvage yard the Battery is done for

as it's a hybrid, the system cuts the contactor power in an accident what kills the engine

It’s had side impact and windows wont shut even though its all been repaired and electricity goes round the car but the car has no power into the radio, heating/air con, electric windows and the interior lights so windows are stuck down 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably the airbag repair will be at your cost as the warranty becomes void for insurance write offs.

Ye it will be 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James16777 said:

Doesn’t matter they should still give you some insight of what it could be as i always go there to buy any parts that are needed a bit of advice won’t make the business go bankrupt

As a regular customer then yes, I'd hope for more assistance, but not necessarily expect it.

As Flash said earlier, dealers may be reluctant to get involved in a write-off. There could be ramifications from advice given. Sadly we are getting more like the US in terms of litigation.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

As a regular customer then yes, I'd hope for more assistance, but not necessarily expect it.

As Flash said earlier, dealers may be reluctant to get involved in a write-off. There could be ramifications from advice given. Sadly we are getting more like the US in terms of litigation.

That is the case but hopefully car will be sorted without having to send it to the dealer

• Like 1