Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bolt tight

RHYSF00

19 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

If you have used a breaker bar on a M6 bolt it’s a wonder it has not sheared as has been suggested get some heat on it. I have in the past used a centre punch on the flat of the hexagon and managed to free it hold the centre punch approx 45 degrees to the hexagon and whack it, also try tightening it that sometimes free’s up rusted bolts.

what would be the best way to heat it up as it right by the driveshaft and brakes. the bolt is above the uhh sensor thingy. cannot remmber what its called

16 minutes ago, RHYSF00 said:

what would be the best way to heat it up as it right by the driveshaft and brakes. the bolt is above the uhh sensor thingy. cannot remmber what its called

Please see this YouTube link and is this the same as your ABS sensor position . Note the bolt location and is yours different. 

5 minutes ago, Bper said:

Please see this YouTube link and is this the same as your ABS sensor position . Note the bolt location and is yours different. 

1 minute ago, Stivino said:

Is this the same as yours?

slightly different. 

20221014_092545.jpg?width=901&height=676pessenger side one. but reverse for driver side. driver side bolt is the one in question

53 minutes ago, RHYSF00 said:

20221014_092545.jpg?width=901&height=676pessenger side one. but reverse for driver side. driver side bolt is the one in question

It would be helpful to see the bolt to look at the condition and exact setup . Is there anyway you can take a photo. If you are visiting the forum on a tablet you can take one on that. 

26 minutes ago, Bper said:

It would be helpful to see the bolt to look at the condition and exact setup . Is there anyway you can take a photo. If you are visiting the forum on a tablet you can take one on that. 

20221019_114654.thumb.jpg.49afdb069d98f626e64a061da22c345b.jpg

32 minutes ago, RHYSF00 said:

20221019_114654.thumb.jpg.49afdb069d98f626e64a061da22c345b.jpg

From the photo it does not look like you have put enough WD40 around the bolt. If you have the small plastic tube that comes with the can use that to spray around the edges of the bolt. Also if you have a wire brush run that all around the bolt to remove as much rust as possible.  Leave it to soak for at least 20-30 minutes so it has time to penetrate. Keep trying to free the bolt ever now and again.

If this does not work the use of heat will usually require using a narrow flame from a gas bottle or canister however this is both a question of competence and risk. It may also require protection of parts. 

A heat gun may also help to free it but again this is a subject of risk etc.

Personally if you cannot budge it and the car is drivable I would take it to a local garage who will probably have the right tools and method to remove it.

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

I've had problems on various vehicle removing the bolts that secure ABS sensors in place. Their always located where they catch the worst of the elements. Have been unfortunate with at least one that just wouldn't budge and ended up shearing the head of the retaining bolt. Got around that by drilling into the remaining stump and using a short self tapper to hold the sensor.

I've replied on WD40 in the past and still do but will say thats it's not specifically intended as a true penetrating oil, there are other products out there if you shop around. I'm lucky as got hold of a very old can of proper penetrating oil from my father in law, 1960's vintage, and is still good stuff. WD40 is more of a lubricant but still useful.

Would also agree that you're best to clean all the surrounding rust/corrosion off the surfaces around where the bolt head clamps the sensor down and also just below that where the sensor is held against that steering arm.  Get in there with a sharp blade and scrap as much crud off and then use a penetrant. As already said you likely need to leave your WD40 or whatever to soak in, keep trying and reapplying.

It's also worth trying to tighten that bolt a little too, helps to break the rusted threades, it's worked for me in the past. If you do get it moving don't go full on trying to get the bolt straight out but work it backwards and forwards slowly backing the bolt out and keep adding the freeing oil as you do.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Bob,

I've had problems on various vehicle removing the bolts that secure ABS sensors in place. Their always located where they catch the worst of the elements. Have been unfortunate with at least one that just wouldn't budge and ended up shearing the head of the retaining bolt. Got around that by drilling into the remaining stump and using a short self tapper to hold the sensor.

I've replied on WD40 in the past and still do but will say thats it's not specifically intended as a true penetrating oil, there are other products out there if you shop around. I'm lucky as got hold of a very old can of proper penetrating oil from my father in law, 1960's vintage, and is still good stuff. WD40 is more of a lubricant but still useful.

Would also agree that you're best to clean all the surrounding rust/corrosion off the surfaces around where the bolt head clamps the sensor down and also just below that where the sensor is held against that steering arm.  Get in there with a sharp blade and scrap as much crud off and then use a penetrant. As already said you likely need to leave your WD40 or whatever to soak in, keep trying and reapplying.

It's also worth trying to tighten that bolt a little too, helps to break the rusted threades, it's worked for me in the past. If you do get it moving don't go full on trying to get the bolt straight out but work it backwards and forwards slowly backing the bolt out and keep adding the freeing oil as you do.

Screenshot_20221019_143219_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f0a06b1dfbefae96b1acd1acf98935d8.jpgsuitable replacement 

They don’t have to be high tensile, you’ll be able to get a couple in a blister pack from Halfords.

20 minutes ago, Stivino said:

They don’t have to be high tensile, you’ll be able to get a couple in a blister pack from Halfords.

couldnt see right bolt at Halfords

38 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Halfords will have them in store. Screwfix and Toolstation will have them too.

i am having a stupid moment. what do you mean by blister pack?

2 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Bob,

Hi Derek,

I agree with you that WD40 is more of a lubricant than a penetrating oil but I guess that's what most people have laying around and it does in many cases help to release ceased bolts etc.

I think the problem is that is very difficult to try to advise on something you can't see and we all have our own methods of dealing with these issues. As you pointed out overforcing a bolt and it shearing can cause an even bigger problem as you know all to well from experience .

It's the same with any advice about applying heat, everybody has a level of skill say with mechanical or electrical competency on cars but not everyone has the skill with a gas bottle of canister.

I wonder these days if it is even allowed to recommend this method due to the health and safety issues. No doubt to do this a risk assessment and method statement would be required before you could even start along with the dangers of flammable liquids etc.

Cost is normally the issue of taking it to a garage and everyone's circumstances are different. I suspect the time and effort and frustration of trying to get these things sorted is sometimes better to accept the cost to get a local garage to do it.

Still I am sure Rhys will get it out given time patients and effort.☺️

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stivino said:

They will be longer than 10mm, maybe 25 or 30

ok. i can get the pessenger side bolt out and it shorter then 25mm

This is the bolt. I can’t find the length but it will be about 25mm ish.

Edit; a bit Googling appears to show it as being 20mm.

31 minutes ago, Stivino said:

This is the bolt. I can’t find the length but it will be about 25mm ish.

Edit; a bit Googling appears to show it as being 20mm.

looked at link. looks slightly differnt to what on the car. there is no washer on the bolts. 

You have at least one bolt that fits so, you have a pattern.  You only need to worry about getting the stuck one out. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stivino said:

You have at least one bolt that fits so, you have a pattern.  You only need to worry about getting the stuck one out. 

i orderd these to see if they work
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-bzp-steel-set-screws-m6-x-20mm-100-pack/12675
i got 10mm version

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links