Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting after stalling

Hmc1

Hi still getting used to 2011 cruiser ! So my son is leaving in mine and stalls a fair bit . We arnt used to button start ! When he stalls it is Amber but just immediately pressing again does nothing it stays Amber ? We were a long time at a junction today trying to work it out . I don’t get the push button at all . It also spat out the cd each time and now won’t accept a disc . Any help for an idiot please !?

Yeah it's a bit weird if nobody's explained it to you - We had the same troubles in our first Push-button car!

The short of it is you have to be pressing the foot-brake when you press the Start button to start the engine, otherwise it just goes into Aux mode.

If you compare it with a key ignition, one press is like Aux/Key Position I, two press is Power On/Position II and Footbrake+Press is Ignition/Position III

• Like 2

Thanks . Dealer just said to press clutch peddle in and it goes green and press the button once quickly . This works from first starting . When stalled however it is Amber and we end up a bit stuck 

Oh sorry yes, if it's a manual, it should be the clutch that is pressed in, not the brake! :wacko:

Gah I can't believe I've gotten used to an automatic so quickly!! :eek: 

The button is analogous to the key, so you should be able to hold in the clutch and press the button to restart from a stall - You might have to hold the button down a bit longer until the engine fires tho', as I find just pressing it quickly on my dad's old diesel wouldn't always start the engine properly.

For some reason, when you start from cold, just pressing it once makes the engine crank and crank until it starts, but when it's stalled I found I'd have to hold the button down, as it would only crank the engine while I was holding the button down - If I let go before it fired it would just stop again... That might be why you're having trouble starting it after a stall...?

The other option is to press the button to turn it completely off (so no green or amber light), then start it again as if from scratch.

• Like 2

Thankyou! Will try all this ! Not sure why son is stalling it so much still he didn’t the other car !  When starting in the morning I press it quick once and there is a slight delay then it starts , don’t hear any cranking or anything ? So if I wanted to have radio on for example when engine not started ? Do I press the button with no clutch or something ?  . I have looked at manual on line for various things but it’s not very clear on the colour of things lol . Like the I think coolant light seems to stay on and green ? I think I’ve bought a complicated car lol 

I'm guessing it's the petrol one as the engine in that is silky smooth - The diesel one makes it very obvious when it's cranking to start! :laugh: 

You're right about the radio - Just press it with no clutch and it should power on the radio in Aux mode; Just don't run the Battery flat!

That coolant light is just because the car doesn't have a temperature gauge, just a red/orange light and that blue/green light; If the blue-green one is on, it just means the engine is cold so don't push it too hard until it's warmed up. Hopefully you'll never see the red one as it means the engine's overheated, and that only happens in Toyotas if something has gone wrong, like all the coolant has leaked out or something!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is your son stalling the car or is the stop start system turning the car off, if so in gear, lift the clutch and the engine will restart

After a stall press the start button, clutch in, press the start/stop

power on - no pedals pressed, one quick press of the button, be aware the ignition will turn off after 15 mins, if the engine isn't started

• Confused 1

Thanks , no it’s the diesel . Thanks for all the help xx 

• Like 1

Stop start system turning car off ? I do t understand , he’s stalling I presume as it never does it with me . It’s pulling off at junctions etc 

• Like 1

stop start systems turn the engine off to save fuel if stopped and the criteria are met it the restarts when required, only stalled a diesel once, that was the day of my test, first junction after pulling away from the test centre

a little more throttle when pulling away ?

if the car has stop start it will have a light on the instruments and a switch on the dash (logo is an A with a circular arrow around it and off at the bottom)

How to Fix Auto Start Stop Warning Light,auto start/stop warning light jeep,start/stop warning light mercedes,auto stop/start warning light bmw,ford auto start-stop symbol,service stop/start system indicator light jeep cherokee,service stop/start system indicator light 2019 jeep compass,

it changes to amber when not available

• Like 1

Thanks ! Pretty sure it hasn’t that as it’s never done it with me apart from once reversing when I first got it

hes just not getting rhe bite right I think . I’m gonna get him a lesson with his instructor in my car on top of his normal lessons I think as the more driving he does the better 

• Like 1

I'm very surprised he's stalling it if it's the diesel - I had a diesel Yaris and it was very forgiving to stalling; You could move off on it without even touching the accelerator if you didn't engage the clutch too suddenly! :laugh: 

Definitely sounds like he could do with some clutch control practise!

One trick my instructor would do with me is have me park on an incline facing up, then bring up the clutch so it was pulling against the handbrake, then disengage the handbrake and hold the car still with nothing but the clutch and accelerator.

Once I'd managed to hold it totally still for a few moments, he'd make me crawl gently up the hill for a few metres, still only using the clutch and accelerator, then stop and hold it still again, still only using the clutch and accelerator.

If I managed to do that, he'd make me roll the car slowly *backwards* a few metres, still using only the clutch and accelerator, and then (And this was the hard one!), bring the car to a halt, still with nothing but the clutch and accelerator.

If he can practise that and get the feel of it, he'll be able to drive any manual car!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links