Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Corolla Break noise

Lasantha

I recently bought a Toyota Corolla 1.8 design version from the dealership. Apparently the car was parked for at least two months at the dealership. 

Now the problem is, when I am breaking at slow sped or breaking during reversing, a low frequency grinding noise comes from the back wheels. Car dealerships say it is due to rust in brake pads as in hybrids break pads are not used very often. No sounds come when break at high speeds. There is no vibration  or squeaky sounds. Do you have similar experience? Is this a normal thing for hybrids? TIA

53 minutes ago, Lasantha said:

Car dealerships say it is due to rust in brake pads as in hybrids break pads are not used very often.

This is a valid explanation. You can verify this visually: take a look at the brake discs after the car parked for a while (e.g. a night), you'll likely see rust. Go for a drive, brake to a complete stop a few times, then stop the car and check out the discs again.

I've had this kind of behavior in almost all hybrid vehicles I've driven (except for a BMW 330e, for some reason).

• Like 3

Yes, it’s normal because of the rust. Just drive the car and with the time they should clear off. If the disc remain rusty after a good miles of use 100-200 miles it may means that the slider pins got stuck and prevent movement of the outer pad. If this is the case you will need a brake service. Cleaning and lubricating. Best to take pictures of the wheels and discs and share with us for more suggestions and help. Here how new car disc looks like. If you can take similar pictures of all 4 wheels will be a good idea. 

464F646A-D3F5-4B9E-89E8-FAAB1592BF2A.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I have taken photos of all 4 wheels rotors. Please advise me if this is normal or if I need to take any action. 

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persimmon said:

This is a valid explanation. You can verify this visually: take a look at the brake discs after the car parked for a while (e.g. a night), you'll likely see rust. Go for a drive, brake to a complete stop a few times, then stop the car and check out the discs again.

I've had this kind of behavior in almost all hybrid vehicles I've driven (except for a BMW 330e, for some reason).

Thanks. please see the photos that I have posted. 

It's evident from the dust on the wheel spokes that a lot of surface rust has been scrubbing off from while the car was sat.

As long as the inboard sides are no worse than what your photos show, I think they'll clean up ok with a few heavy applications from high speed (under safe conditions, of course).

• Like 2

A diffrent Yaris to what I have now it braking behaver was ok going forward but in reverse is sounded like I hit a nother vehicle.

Brake pads were sticking within the sliders a good clean of the calapers and some copper grease fixed it.

Roters I left alone apart for grinding the lip off thickness was within spec.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:59 PM, Lasantha said:

Thanks everyone. I have taken photos of all 4 wheels rotors. Please advise me if this is normal or if I need to take any action. 

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

Thanks. 
Definitely needs some brake use. Best practices if it’s safe to do few continuous slow downs from 60-20mph and repeat, ideal on quiet roads like going off motorway for example. In addition to this you can also do some braking in reverse , no need to accelerate to fast. When you brake in reverse there is no regenerative braking and the rake system is fully loaded therefore can unstuck rusty pins and make the pads move freely again and the discs will get clean off quickly. No need very hard braking, this will not clean the=rust faster but will score the disc surface even more.  👍

• Like 3

The rust in the photos is normal, I've had my discs looking like this from nearly new and even with regular use they look horrible. As long as the breaks work properly and not binding it's nothing to worry about 

• Like 2