Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 Rav4D4D no turbo/low power

CliveKennard

I have read a load of threads on this forum for people having a similar problem to me. Our 05 D4D has low power/turbo doesn't spool up until 2800rpm, then the turbo kicks in and it pulls great, in 3+4th gear at motorway speeds it is OK until you encounter a hill or grade and the speed will drop off forcing a change-down. I haven't seen a definite solution to this issue yet and can't believe it hasn't been solved by someone. I haven't replaced anything on the car yet SCV ECR etc as it seems from previous threads this doesn't always fix the problem. I bought a code reader (ELM OBD 2) as the check engine light came on and pulled a code:

P0380
Raw code: 0380
ECU: 10
OBDII: Glow plugs, circuit A - malfunction
Toyota: Glow Plugs Circuit A Malfunction

Dont think a faulty glow plug will cause the turbo to not spool up but will test and replace the glow plugs as required. Ont thread suggested it might be the injectors? If i disconnect the MAF sensor the car runs as I expect it to, pulling in every gear with the turbo spooling up as normal which makes me think it is a sensor malfunctioning, not the turbo vanes sticking or the EGR valve sticking. Kind of at a loss. Is there a specific parameter I can look out for on the code reader to check and what app is everyone using for these scanners? I have tried Car Scanner and OBD Harry.

Any suggestions welcome!!

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Are the injectors ok Clive ?

Don't know, haven't done any investigative work yet. Car is going in to the garage for a new clutch next week (ouch) and will start digging around after that is done.

• Like 2

I have had the same glow plug code for 2+ years. It typically only shows in the winter (as you'd expect) and I can't say I'd noticed any starting issues and I just reset the light. It doesn't impact the turbo. 

If you unplugged the MAF sensor then the car will use backup parameters. If the car is functioning normally with it unplugged then I'd suggest it's a fault with the MAF. If memory serves you can use electrical contact cleaner and that can help if the sensor wire is dirty.

• Like 1

Hi I have a similar fault my rav is a 2004 d4d I've run all sorts of fuel cleaners changed filters had 3 lots of diagnostics all for nothing cant trust it any more dont use motorways any more I love my rav but just cant get a definitive diagnosis I will try cleaning the maff though got nothing to loose except my sanity,mine will suddenly loose power I pull over switch off for a short while turn back on and it's fine for a few more miles 

Poor electric connection at plug for maff sensor or the  maff sensor is also possible you looking for a higher resistance so to be sure just replace it.

Try removing plug refitting plug a few times to clean contacts.

9 hours ago, RAV4-D4D said:

Hi Macky - how long is a short while when you turn it off?

20 seconds or so sometimes have to repeat 

Ok, so it doesn't sound like it's temperature related because 20seconds isn't enough for anything to cool.

Have you tried unplugging the MAF sensor and driving the car with it disconnected?

On 11/1/2022 at 12:51 PM, RAV4-D4D said:

Ok, so it doesn't sound like it's temperature related because 20seconds isn't enough for anything to cool.

Have you tried unplugging the MAF sensor and driving the car with it disconnected?

Hi John I had the fuel filter changed and the lines flushed on Tues after which it runs better but disappointingly it still goes into limp mode but not as often so maybe that was part of the problem will try disconnecting the MAF sensor as you have kindly suggested tomorrow when I go to Totnes, thanks for your reply will keep you informed thanks once again Bob

I'm glad there's been some improvement. You never know but now it is running a bit better it may start to sort itself out a bit.

I'd be tempted to run a couple of tanks of premium diesel through just in case the additives help clean a few more bits.

Looking forward to hearing if unplugging the MAF helps.

On 11/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, Macky54 said:

Hi John I had the fuel filter changed and the lines flushed on Tues after which it runs better but disappointingly it still goes into limp mode but not as often so maybe that was part of the problem will try disconnecting the MAF sensor as you have kindly suggested tomorrow when I go to Totnes, thanks for your reply will keep you informed thanks once again Bob

Hi John,hope you are well, that was a great shout I disconnected the MAF and no problems, the same journey I would normally have to pull over and reset at least 4 times each way so it looks like I need a new MAF to be safe, cannot thank you enough John you are a star

• Like 2

That's great news and thanks for posting back the outcome. Start enjoying the RAV again!