Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross spare wheel

Tom E Pattinson

Hello fellow Yaris Cross owners - since owning my 2022 Yaris Cross Excel, I have been researching why I have a tyre repair kit and not a spare wheel as standard? My extensive research to now has revealed that the UK version of the Yaris Cross has a repair kit included simply to keep the vehicle weight within a defined taxation class, a space saver wheel is supplied as standard in non-European models. The good news is that there is a space saver spare wheel complete kit available in the UK. It comprises of space saver wheel and tyre, jack and necessary tools, support former to fit onto the wheel in the boot and the wheel/tyre clamp for the boot. I have ordered, received and installed the kit, absolutely perfect. It is available from toyotadirectparts.co.uk at a total cost of £230.99, including VAT and shipping. Toyota Direct Parts are absolutely fabulous to deal with - they are a main Toyota dealer located in Swindon (Fish Brothers) and they come highly recommended for efficiency and service.

I really hope the above information saves some of you many hours of research - I now feel so much more secure in the knowledge that I have a spare wheel on board in the event of an unfortunate puncture. I DETEST tyre repair kits, a very poor option and, in my opinion, an unsatisfactory option. 

1A2A46D3-0715-4537-9EE8-4F19A4B055A2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Moved to the Yaris/Yaris Cross forum.

The parts list has been shared before, but it is good to know that this is available as a kit. I ordered the rubber mat set from the same website/dealer.

It is a shame the wheel kit won’t fit in AWD models.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 9:20 PM, TomPatt said:

Hello fellow Yaris Cross owners - since owning my 2022 Yaris Cross Excel, I have been researching why I have a tyre repair kit and not a spare wheel as standard? My extensive research to now has revealed that the UK version of the Yaris Cross has a repair kit included simply to keep the vehicle weight within a defined taxation class, a space saver wheel is supplied as standard in non-European models. The good news is that there is a space saver spare wheel complete kit available in the UK. It comprises of space saver wheel and tyre, jack and necessary tools, support former to fit onto the wheel in the boot and the wheel/tyre clamp for the boot. I have ordered, received and installed the kit, absolutely perfect. It is available from toyotadirectparts.co.uk at a total cost of £230.99, including VAT and shipping. Toyota Direct Parts are absolutely fabulous to deal with - they are a main Toyota dealer located in Swindon (Fish Brothers) and they come highly recommended for efficiency and service.

I really hope the above information saves some of you many hours of research - I now feel so much more secure in the knowledge that I have a spare wheel on board in the event of an unfortunate puncture. I DETEST tyre repair kits, a very poor option and, in my opinion, an unsatisfactory option. 

1A2A46D3-0715-4537-9EE8-4F19A4B055A2.jpeg

This is brilliant, will this be ok in an Icon please?

9 hours ago, ClaireN said:

This is brilliant, will this be ok in an Icon please?

The kit will fit any 2wd Yaris Cross, spare wheel is not possible in 4wd

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, has anyone managed to fit a full size spare to their yaris cross boot? The tire dimensions on mine are 215/50/R18.. I just don’t feel comfortable only having the repair kit and I have had zero luck locating a space saver here in Slovakia.. cheers

The easy answer to that is to take off one of your own wheels and try putting it into the wheelwell.
If it does fit, it will certainly raise the floor level of the boot somewhat.

Space saver would be the way to go (if you could find one)

Perhaps contacting outlets/dealers in neighbouring countries, and getting one shipped to you?

In my Yaris Cross my spare is full size.  Logical really as where else do you put the flat? 

That said the tyre is only an emergency one with 50 mph and limited miles. I don't know why they don't have a standard tyre on a steel wheel. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure you if can fit a standard wheel and tyre in most Toyota cars of later years. The spare wheel well is only deep enough to accommodate a space saver spare wheel and if you need to change in an event of emergency you can only load the standard wheel tyre into the boot or after you fold down rear seats. Space saver wheel is all you need really as it’s saves some space, weight etc. How often people does need to replace a damage wheel or tyre? Once every 3 mont(s then I understand the need of full size wheel and tyre but once in every 3-5 years or more then these are not necessary. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chippy01 said:

The easy answer to that is to take off one of your own wheels and try putting it into the wheelwell.
If it does fit, it will certainly raise the floor level of the boot somewhat.

Space saver would be the way to go (if you could find one)

Perhaps contacting outlets/dealers in neighbouring countries, and getting one shipped to you?

yeah I did some measuring todqy and it looks like I can fit a full size in there but I would lose out on storage space, I found one space saver online but it’s only the tyre without the wheel and it’s also out of stock! 

would you know if it’s possible to pop out the little toyota Badge in the middle of the standard rim in order to secure the tyre to the boot floor with the screw fastener thing (I have one from my previous car and the thread on it matches)?

CE4F6B9C-7390-41EA-B034-FC73227F39BD.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes you can just press the Badge out from inside the wheel rim its held in place by a spring clip and its part of the Badge.

Personally I buy a space saver wheel it be on a steel rim but your wheel bolts are dual fitting.

You need to have alloys re torqued when its refitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony, take your point, but the need to change a punctured wheel never happens at a convenient moment.

Night, en route to a ferry, fully loaded with holiday luggage, two children in child seats, wheel change at the port prior to boarding. 

Next day flat wheel in the back with the children. 

• Like 4

Mkuki, the one thing the Yaris Cross has is masses of boot space. Below the boot floor, and above the spare wheel space, is a second stowage area.  This is about 6 inches deep. 

I need to sort out the boot tomorrow and will see if I can get pictures and measurements. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Tony, take your point, but the need to change a punctured wheel never happens at a convenient moment.

Night, en route to a ferry, fully loaded with holiday luggage, two children in child seats, wheel change at the port prior to boarding. 

Next day flat wheel in the back with the children. 

Roy, I agree with you. No doubt about that matter. The only thing is that many drivers never used they cars for long distance travelling they just use them for short town commute or A and B roads for like 20 miles daily drives,which is nothing really, and in that case we don’t even need anything especially if we are in towns, just a call and RAC or AA help is on it’s way.
If anyone lives in Scottish highlands or Welsh’s open spaces , well a spare tyre full size better will be. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mkuki said:

yeah I did some measuring todqy and it looks like I can fit a full size in there but I would lose out on storage space, I found one space saver online but it’s only the tyre without the wheel and it’s also out of stock! 

would you know if it’s possible to pop out the little toyota badge in the middle of the standard rim in order to secure the tyre to the boot floor with the screw fastener thing (I have one from my previous car and the thread on it matches)?

CE4F6B9C-7390-41EA-B034-FC73227F39BD.jpeg

Nice winter tyres I can see here ❄️🛞👌

How do you find them in comparison with the summer ones? What were the summer ones fitted to the car ? Goodyear or something else? 
Thanks 

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

Yes you can just press the badge out from inside the wheel rim its held in place by a spring clip and its part of the badge.

Personally I buy a space saver wheel it be on a steel rim but your wheel bolts are dual fitting.

You need to have alloys re torqued when its refitted.

Thanks for the heads up!

46 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Mkuki, the one thing the Yaris Cross has is masses of boot space. Below the boot floor, and above the spare wheel space, is a second stowage area.  This is about 6 inches deep. 

I need to sort out the boot tomorrow and will see if I can get pictures and measurements. 

Roy, thanks! That will be really great! 

You also have the option of a mobile tyre fitter but with my luck it happen on a

Sunday so I cary a spare tyre.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Nice winter tyres I can see here ❄️🛞👌

How do you find them in comparison with the summer ones? What were the summer ones fitted to the car ? Goodyear or something else? 
Thanks 

Thanks 🙂 Honestly haven’t been able to do much of a comparison since the car arrived a couple of weeks ago and the temps here were already dipping below 7 deg so did only one trip about 400km in total on the summer tyres (Falken Ziex ZE310A) I feel like the winter tyres have a firmer ride but I could just be imagining it 😅816F31AE-61E6-4AAF-8EE9-901A57443656.thumb.jpeg.b146a3bfddd88327765399a0692f34d0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Mkuki said:

Thanks 🙂 Honestly haven’t been able to do much of a comparison since the car arrived a couple of weeks ago and the temps here were already dipping below 7 deg so did only one trip about 400km in total on the summer tyres (Falken Ziex ZE310A) I feel like the winter tyres have a firmer ride but I could just be imagining it 😅816F31AE-61E6-4AAF-8EE9-901A57443656.thumb.jpeg.b146a3bfddd88327765399a0692f34d0.jpeg

Thanks.
Usually winter tyres are softer than summer ones but sometimes can be the other way around. Interesting here is that those Falkens are made in Turkey as the wheels too. Turkish people seems to be a leaders in car and car parts manufacturing in Europe. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Thanks.
Usually winter tyres are softer than summer ones but sometimes can be the other way around. Interesting here is that those Falkens are made in Turkey as the wheels too. Turkish people seems to be a leaders in car and car parts manufacturing in Europe. 👍

Hah! see it’s probably just my imagination or maybe coz it’s the missus driving now and I’m just getting used to being a passanger again 😅 Yeah, I noticed that they’re made in Turkey, that’s great!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 10:48 PM, Mkuki said:

Hi all, has anyone managed to fit a full size spare to their yaris cross boot? The tire dimensions on mine are 215/50/R18.. I just don’t feel comfortable only having the repair kit and I have had zero luck locating a space saver here in Slovakia.. cheers

Toyota offer an accessory kit to allow fitment of a space saver, see HERE it will NOT fit a 4wd model as there is no room for any wheel on the 4wd

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota offer an accessory kit to allow fitment of a space saver, see HERE it will NOT fit a 4wd model as there is no room for any wheel on the 4wd

Thanks, going to check it out!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally ended up ordering a space saver from the dealer, now just need to buy a jack and it should be all done 🙂 The full kit was quite pricy so I just got the tyre and the foam insert to place on the tyre.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yaris cross hybrid Excel 2022.

Have been looking for a space saver wheel.And I found the wheel shop and gave them a ring.

spoke to a very nice helpful lady gave her my reg number.

She told me 17in 149.95 plus wheel retaining bolt 12.95.

Okay so I ordered then I asked can I be little a bit cheeky is there any discount yes and gave me 5% very nice ordered Wednesday arrived Friday 28C845BB-C15D-4816-ADD5-65C359509680.thumb.jpeg.ecec0962e272b473705d31cfdd8bd04c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1