Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo X - hardwire dashcam

Ianb2468

Hi Everyone,

My Aygo X is currently in transit. I’m downsizing from a saloon car but can’t wait (previous Aygo owner). 

Has anyone hardwired a Dashcam yet? Don’t have one currently but keen to get one.

I know Nextbase do a kit that piggybacks off an ignition live fuse, has anyone used that on the Aygo X yet?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

• Like 1

Had a Nextbase dash cam installed in mine for around 2 weeks now. Seems fine. I went for the rear camera that just piggybacks on the side of the front camera, as with the design of the rear door I decided there would be too much cable showing if I went with a wired one.

I can’t say how easy the installation is, as I had it installed by a local firm who installed a bluetooth system in my previous car for me.

• Like 1

Thank you. Do you mind me asking how much it set you back to have installed?

Ian

5 hours ago, Ianb2468 said:

Ian

My installer, charged me £80 to install the Nextbase 422GW with rear camera.  I supplied all the parts and he just hardwired and fitted it.

He came to the house and has done at least three hard wired kit installs for me over the years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ianb2468 said:

Ian

Think the installation fee was £50 or £60 if I supplied the camera, with a wired rear view camera adding an additional £10. Can’t find my original email with all the cost breakdown and my invoice just shows a total amount, but I’m pretty sure it was around that.

• Like 3

Got the dealer to install mine. It’s a Nextbase one with a rear camera as well. It will have been wired in to a connection that only comes live when the ignition is on. It is not intrusive with respect to vision etc.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2022 at 7:23 AM, Jason Monk said:

Think the installation fee was £50 or £60 if I supplied the camera, with a wired rear view camera adding an additional £10. Can’t find my original email with all the cost breakdown and my invoice just shows a total amount, but I’m pretty sure it was around that.

That seems a very fair price as there is a lot of mucking around if you are going to do a good job.

• Like 2

I thought so. Probably could have done it myself, but didn’t want to risk buggering up the electrics so thought it best to get a professional to do it. They were slightly dearer than Halfords, but I’d used them before on my previous car, so knowing the standard of job they’d done before I opted to use them again.

• Like 1

It's a bit daunting if you've never done it before but once you have it's not too bad - Running he cable over the front gap headling and then down the A pillar and door rubbers toward the glovebox is surprisingly easy in most cars, and then the only tricky bit is picking your 12v source.

Some people just run it into the 12v socket so its easy to remove later, but piggy-back fuses are the usual dealer route, although a bit untidy because the fuse cover won't go back on with a piggyback fuse.

In my Yaris I pulled the easy-to-remove front bits of the dash out and ran it to the pins of the lighter socket instead. (With mucho help from the guide flash22 sent me it has to be said!)

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 11:34 AM, Ianb2468 said:

Hi Everyone,

My Aygo X is currently in transit. I’m downsizing from a saloon car but can’t wait (previous Aygo owner). 

Has anyone hardwired a dashcam yet? Don’t have one currently but keen to get one.

I know nextbase do a kit that piggybacks off an ignition live fuse, has anyone used that on the Aygo X yet?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

How Toyota go about it HERE

• Thanks 1

Surprised in a way one wasn’t a factory fitted option, but I guess too many customisations would slow down the production line.

The manual seems comprehensive. It is not how my dealer installed all of it though, nor for my previous Toyota. The dealer took the easy route of taking power from the fuse box under the dashboard in the passenger side footwell. The power is piggy backed onto an existing connection point with I suspect the power that feeds the 12v socket. The result is the cover does not fit back on the fuse box. I must have a look some time to see if I can make it neater.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jason Monk said:

Surprised in a way one wasn’t a factory fitted option, but I guess too many customisations would slow down the production line.

It's even stupider than that - The car has a load of cameras already built into it in the rear-view mirror pod!

All they'd need to do is put an SD card or USB slot somewhere and allow the footage to be written to it! It surprises me this isn't a thing any car manufacturer, apart from maybe Tesla, seem to have cottoned on to. It would be a fairly big feature they could tout with minimal modifications!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It's even stupider than that - The car has a load of cameras already built into it in the rear-view mirror pod!

All they'd need to do is put an SD card or USB slot somewhere and allow the footage to be written to it! It surprises me this isn't a thing any car manufacturer, apart from maybe Tesla, seem to have cottoned on to. It would be a fairly big feature they could tout with minimal modifications!

Yeah guess it’s all down to being able to charge extra items on models it’s offered on!

On 10/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, Jason Monk said:

I thought so. Probably could have done it myself, but didn’t want to risk buggering up the electrics so thought it best to get a professional to do it. They were slightly dearer than Halfords, but I’d used them before on my previous car, so knowing the standard of job they’d done before I opted to use them again.

Having worked for the local Halfords audio section for a few years I would say you were right to pay the extra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was looking to buy a cam too but I saw the standard price is 500 euro.

If I buy the Toyota one from the catalogue. it would set me bacjk 500 euro but that is the installation incl.

I think a normal one costs around 100 euro but then install is not included. 
I am not going to install it myself in a brand new car 🙂

• Like 1

The good thing about the Toyota one is it's a standard install and they have an idiot sheet for it and it's also rolled into the guarantee (Although get that in writing!)

If something happens with a third-party install it may void some of the warranty, esp. if they can prove the problem was caused by the install.

That said, for a front camera only, it's pretty straightforward as you have lots of options for cable routing; Can run it down the A-pillar or through the weather stripping etc.

Then you can decide whether to run it to the 12v or hard-wire it in via e.g. the fusebox piggyback or tap a 12v line somewhere.

If you do get someone to install it, make sure they guarantee their work in writing as there are a lot of give-it-a-go cowboys out there!

I only did it myself on the Mk4 because I've had a lot of practise in older Yarisusesisuses! :laugh: 

Getting one to the back is the trickier one - Even the dealer I asked to run a line for me failed miserably when I asked them to, making up some BS about me needing to pay £50 for some one-use trim piece that needed to come out...

I still have no idea what they were talking about...!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2022 at 7:44 PM, BobbyMcLeish said:

My installer, charged me £80 to install the Nextbase 422GW with rear camera.  I supplied all the parts and he just hardwired and fitted it.

He came to the house and has done at least three hard wired kit installs for me over the years.

@BobbyMcLeish is this model you bought?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-422GW-Camera-Wireless-Recording-black/dp/B09TWF3MG3

£80 installation fee sounds quite fair, maybe I'll ask if you can share the details of your installer 😉

71WA3d1p4KL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Mine came with a Nextbase camera. It was hardwired in by the dealer, using a piggyback fuse in the fusebox under the glovebox.

As Donrald said, the fusebox cover no longer fits, which is a bit naff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soso said:

@BobbyMcLeish is this model you bought?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-422GW-Camera-Wireless-Recording-black/dp/B09TWF3MG3

£80 installation fee sounds quite fair, maybe I'll ask if you can share the details of your installer 😉

71WA3d1p4KL._AC_SX679_.jpg

My dealer is a local installer to me, he does not travel far distances.  But to be honest, there are loads of mobile companies who will do a fit only job for you.

If you trust Halfords, they supply and install and if you have a TOC  membership card, you'll get a discount at Halfords.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

My dealer is a local installer to me, he does not travel far distances.  But to be honest, there are loads of mobile companies who will do a fit only job for you.

If you trust Halfords, they supply and install and if you have a TOC  membership card, you'll get a discount at Halfords.

I work in Reigate, maybe it's not too far, but anyway, now I'm waiting for the car, I will see when the delivery date will be close.

• 10 months later...

I had aygo pure and upgraded  to aygo edge to be told that rear dash cam can't be fitted on new aygo  cross cars I had front and rear bon the aygo edge pure 

3 minutes ago, eddie1962 said:

I had aygo pure and upgraded  to aygo edge to be told that rear dash cam can't be fitted on new aygo  cross cars I had front and rear bon the aygo edge pure 

That's total boll****

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, eddie1962 said:

Wow!
If that's true I wonder how the dealer managed to fit front and rear dashcams to the memsahib's new Aygo X before handover.

Someone is telling you porkies.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links