Do Not Sell My Personal Information

membrane to use while charging in inclement weather?

TONTAGE

Good morning

is there a membrane or something i can place over the charging port while charging during inclement weather? 

thankyou 

The PHEV unfortunately has a large cover making buying one somewhat difficult in the UK. You appear to be in a non UK location so might be better off trying locally.

I bought the largest one I could via Amazon and unpicked the seam and inserted a weatherproof nylon section to make it large enough to cover the port and secure the cable.

I’ve posted this in the past.

BC486DBF-07D6-4BFD-B5F6-049728E92209.jpeg

477F1402-7EBB-4EA0-82D5-BC0DADE4CB5B.jpeg

It's insane that nobody seems to have thought about this... I mean, even a school child knows that water + high voltage electrics are things you don't want together!

It's bad enough that almost all public chargers don't have any kind of shelter!

• Like 1

Most UK charge points not even a cover over the top of it and the car to keep both dry but a fuel pump forcort has one.

I see lots of people using plastic bags over plugs hardly ideal.

• Like 1

For the cost of these cars you’d think that the manufactures would include one as part of the package. Even if it’s not stickily necessary the cover keeps off the snow, frost and much that accumulates if it’s not present. I just feel happier knowing that when I remove the cover the connector is dry and I can quickly cover the open end of the plug. Because the cover is waterproof and even though it might look soaked one quick flick and it’s dry and stored away for the next charge.

LFC/WTF

Did Toyota NOT simply top hinge the flap, with an attatched membrane.

I.e. open the flap upwards and it would form its own waterproof roof.

From a farmers Son perspective.

Duh!

• Like 2

It's not just a Toyota problem - All the EVs I've seen have similar silly designs. Some of the ones with unsealed front-facing ports even have problems in winter with snow getting in, covering up the internal plugs and have to be cleared out!

The stupidest ones are the ones that have some sort of external touch sensor to unlock the charge port, as they don't work properly when wet! :laugh: 

• Like 1