Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

R4P... Seriously let me down

Nick72

10 hours ago, ernieb said:

I’ve only ever charged mine with the 240v granny cable and I’ve not seen any evidence that it charges the 12v battery.

The people who posted about this on another forum had one of the bluetooth devices mentioned above and posted a screenshot of the charts, showing the 12v Battery voltage increasing during a charge, but only periodically (assumed when conditioning running). It would be.intersting to see results if anyone on here gets one. 

Arguably, if it is as it appears, charging on the granny charger should be an advantage as it's applying charge for longer, hence more opportunity for the conditioning to run.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried installing one of those Li-ion replacement 12v batteries in their car? I suspect this technology is more suited to the current draws/recharge profile of EV/PHEV vehicles. I don't think the 12v in the RAV4 ever has to do a cold crank - that would always come from the traction Battery, there is no 12v powered starter motor. Last time I looked they were rather expensive, but I was considering replacing mine with one when the time comes. Not sure if there's any drawbacks or modifications required though.

• Like 1

I don't know of anyone here who has; The problem is nobody is sure if they can be used as drop-in replacements, or need some sort of bodge to make the charging profile more favourable (You'd hope that the manufacturer would build that into the unit rather than just letting it take 14v unregulated charge, but these days you can't take anything for granted!), but the main one is they are crazy expensive; Typically around a grand! :eek: 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ernieb said:

This has been aired before and I’m aware there are different opinions on this but the recommendations I’ve read suggest an AGM battery should be charged at 14.6v - 14.8v. In AGM mode my NOCO (similar to CTEK) charges at 14.8v.  I’ve never seen the car go higher than 14.3v, occasionally 14.4v.

Ernie

Having checked my PHEV 12V Battery, it's definitely not an AGM Battery

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:

Ernie

Having checked my PHEV 12V battery, it's definitely not an AGM battery

Wow, that’s really strange I thought they were all AGM or a variant of AGM batteries. My ‘21 PHEV is definitely an AGM Battery.

• Like 1

If its not a AGM then its calcium EFB type.

Using CTEK Battery charger in bike mode its only limits the current you are pushing through the Battery the voltage is the same per mode and automaticley adjusted.

20 hours ago, ernieb said:

Wow, that’s really strange I thought they were all AGM or a variant of AGM batteries. My ‘21 PHEV is definitely an AGM battery.

PXL_20221031_120803423.thumb.jpg.e2533eaec6d3cc5e673db81f0e840dd1.jpg

• Like 1

Ernie can you tell me which Battery you have as I'd like to retrofit an AGM version?

Thanks

Colin

4 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Ernie can you tell me which battery you have as I'd like to retrofit an AGM version?

Thanks

Colin

Equally, if you look-up an appropriate replacement Battery with your registration number, what are you offered?

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Equally, if you look-up an appropriate replacement battery with your registration number, what are you offered?

Another Lead acid Battery...but still advised to check it fits....the AGM would need to be similar dimensions that's why I asked

I know this is not a Toyota but my neighbours 21 plate Ford Fiesta Ecoboost had a dead Battery 3 times in 2 weeks ! The main dealer looked at it then just charged the Battery and sent it back the first time 🙄, the second time the AA came out to him at home and said they didn’t think the alternator was charging properly. It went back to the dealer, again they sent it back, “nothing wrong”

The third time it happened he took it ( under warranty ) to a different main dealer who had it for 3 days and discovered the ‘infotainment’ unit wasn’t switching off properly when the car was turned off ! 
Apparently the display appeared to go off but the backlight was on but barely noticeable to my neighbour, and was causing a parasitic drain ☹️

He got fed up with it after that and I said “should’ve got a Toyota”, two weeks further on and he’s now got a 21 plate Toyota Yaris Hybrid 😱😱🙂

Norm

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well good thing he got shot of it before it lived up to its Ecoboom nickname :laugh: 

I was sad to see Ford announcing they were discontinuing them tho'... I hated mine but they were the 'standard' small car in the UK. And smeg only knows what just-passed boy racer types will gravitate to instead!

The boy racers are all on e scooters now Cyker, they can terrorise pedestrians and drivers by swinging on and off footpaths into roads without any comeback.

• Like 1

I seen a motorbiker showing off swining right to left on the road all the way up the hill.

Next day same road a cyclist going down the road at 22:15 with No lights front or back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Well good thing he got shot of it before it lived up to its Ecoboom nickname :laugh: 

Ford have sorted out the newer 1 litre EcoBoost engines, there a pretty decent power unit now - but there still basically a throw away engine with an expensive to replace wet timing belt.

It's the PSA 1.2 Purecrap engines you need to watch out for 🤣 

• Like 1

Since PSA updated the timing belt running in oil its probably to early to say if its worked.

Personly I stay away from all rubber timing belts running in oil.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Ford have sorted out the newer 1 litre EcoBoost engines, there a pretty decent power unit now - but there still basically a throw away engine with an expensive to replace wet timing belt.

It's the PSA 1.2 Purecrap engines you need to watch out for 🤣 

I think his was the 1litre 3 pot unit. He’s had fords all his driving life, this is his first Japanese car. I think he’s made the right decision 🙂 mind you, if has issues with this one I’ll never hear the end of it !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Since PSA updated the timing belt running in oil its probably to early to say if its worked.

Personly I stay away from all rubber timing belts running in oil.

I’d never heard about a rubber timing belt running in oil, can’t quite get my head round how that works ?? Rubber + oil = slipping belt so how does it work ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

PSA introduced generation 4 Dayco belts for these AFAIK last year.

Continental have also introduced a belt for these for the aftermarket with a 5 year warranty.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr.Fixit-Norm said:

I’d never heard about a rubber timing belt running in oil, can’t quite get my head round how that works ?? Rubber + oil = slipping belt so how does it work ?

The timing belt has teeth so it won't slip.

https://www.continental.com/en/press/press-releases/new-ct1228-timing-belt/

• Like 1

forkingabout First it was 10 years but a easy fix if you can call it a fix is to offer 5 years with a improvment in the rubber.

I wonder if belts have dots painted on them denoting teeth tolerance for mating with corosponding metal tooths.

• Like 1

I still don't get the whole wet belt thing... it's like the worst of both worlds - All the downsides of a chain and all the downsides of a belt with none of the advantages of either!

A rubber timing belt is a lot cheaper than chain & you do not need a tensioner or chain guides.

Just now, Derek.w said:

A rubber timing belt is a lot cheaper than chain & you do not need a tensioner or chain guides.

But presumably a chain is a lot less likely to suddenly ‘let go’ !

A chain usually rattles a rubber timing belt just snaps without warning.

Of cours if you checked it you might detect cracking or worn teeth before it fails compleatly but that unlickly within a engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links