Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please any help

Julie toyota yaris

I did write a post for advice with no replies.

please if anyone can shed light on my issue I’d really appreciate it.

my car had rheee episodes in space of few days here I would not be able to move and car would just rev.

I was advised a new clutch. Which it now has. The car is now in garage still as won’t move. The mechanic has a second opinion and believes could be actuator but them also said to speak to Toyota. 

could this be actuator?

no codes are showing up.

like I say car is in garage.

it’s a 2006 D4D Multitronic yaris. 

Hello Julie, welcome to the owners club.

I personally am not mechanically minded, but a lot on here are.

But to help others to help you if possible,it sounds like you have the multi mode transmission,semi automatic.

There is a lot of information on here regarding these troublesome systems.

So have you already spent £650 on a new clutch?

Does the same garage that did this diagnose a faulty actuator, and then say they cannot fix it?

Have you asked a Toyota dealer to diagnose or quote for repair?

I would be careful of throwing any more money into this until some more knowledgeable members have had a chance to evaluate the problem, and advise if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presume it is a Multi Mode Transmission (MMT) rather than a Multitronic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies it’s automatic D4D 2006 Yaris/ apprahtkt multitronic?

the mechanic hasn’t charged me yet. But car not moving still. With a new clutch! 

really appreciate your replies. 

We had one of those cars a few years ago, so I followed the forums for them at the time in case we had problems, which we didn't fortunately.

It sounds to me like it could well be the actuators for the MMT.

Among other possible problems, as they age the grease in the actuators gets old and gummy which inhibits the action. Dealers just replace the whole block (of 3 iirc) at huge expense, but some people managed to clean and relube them.

The problem then sometimes is getting the system to resync/relearn which can mean a dealer visit (because they have to talk to the MMT computer).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

We had one of those cars a few years ago, so I followed the forums for them at the time in case we had problems, which we didn't fortunately.

It sounds to me like it could well be the actuators for the MMT.

Among other possible problems, as they age the grease in the actuators gets old and gummy which inhibits the action. Dealers just replace the whole block (of 3 iirc) at huge expense, but some people managed to clean and relube them.

The problem then sometimes is getting the system to resync/relearn which can mean a dealer visit (because they have to talk to the MMT computer).

Thank you for reply

the garage owner has been on car for two days. He replaced clutch on first day. He said he still looking at things but nothing happening.

it’s frustrating as I have said everything leading to actuator although he hasn’t yet come to that conclusion he said he looking at other things.

the car won’t drive.

thanks again. 

i take he has done a MMT before and that the clutch has to be electronically clamped to change the clutch then initialized after fitting

INF12215_GB.pdf

can he talk the TCM (gearbox ecu) this is another common issue

Actuator replacement is not cheap

CP-0009T-0113-EN (2).pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So to recap for clarification then Julie,is this the situation so far?

Either the mechanic or the garage owner has replaced the clutch at a cost of £650 , but have not yet invoiced you for this work.

You have asked him to check the actuator, but he has not done so.

He has spent a further day diagnosing other faults, but not the actuator.

I don't want to add to the stress you must already have over this, but is this garage owner/mechanic known and trusted by you,or family/friends?

It's just that I don't think anyone would wish for this to become a money pit for you.

The mechanic has said he believes it could be the actuator, but for you to talk to a Toyota dealer?

Does this mean that he does not know how to fix or replace the actuator I am thinking.

• Thanks 1

Cross posted with flash 22 ,solid knowledge and advice from him as usual 🙂.

Good news then maybe, that the new clutch can be made to work properly if fitted properly.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

So to recap for clarification then Julie,is this the situation so far?

Either the mechanic or the garage owner has replaced the clutch at a cost of £650 , but have not yet invoiced you for this work.

You have asked him to check the actuator, but he has not done so.

He has spent a further day diagnosing other faults, but not the actuator.

I don't want to add to the stress you must already have over this, but is this garage owner/mechanic known and trusted by you,or family/friends?

It's just that I don't think anyone would wish for this to become a money pit for you.

The mechanic has said he believes it could be the actuator, but for you to talk to a Toyota dealer?

Does this mean that he does not know how to fix or replace the actuator I am thinking.

Thank you for the reply

i know exactly what you’re saying.

I have called him again today

he said he isn’t sure but he said he wasn’t going to charge me.

I don’t have anyone to challenge this situation.

it’s awful.

he said today that he doesn’t believe it is the actuator- I have said I do.

I also said if he has killed my car to just tell me as I’ll have to get another.

he doesn’t answer directly.

he said he has a mechanic on it again.

Thank you all for replies.

I shall ask him all what you have offered. 

57 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i take he has done a MMT before and that the clutch has to be electronically clamped to change the clutch then initialized after fitting

INF12215_GB.pdf 148.83 kB · 132 downloads

can he talk the TCM (gearbox ecu) this is another common issue

Actuator replacement is not cheap

CP-0009T-0113-EN (2).pdf 1.12 MB · 14 downloads

He has said the diagnostics are showing nothing!

but car won’t drive.

Ok Julie, it's possible then that it's not the actuator,see flash 22s post above.

Which would be good news.

It's also possible that the clutch was fitted in good faith, but not correctly.

Not going to charge you for which? the new clutch,or further diagnostics/investigation?

Incidentally, I am not sure if you have mentioned how many miles are on your Yaris, this may be helpful.

But have a good read through the info on here so that you know what is what, and possible further costs before committing to anything.

Please keep us posted on here re any further developments.

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you having a good outcome.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ok Julie, it's possible then that it's not the actuator,see flash 22s post above.

Which would be good news.

It's also possible that the clutch was fitted in good faith, but not correctly.

Not going to charge you for which? the new clutch,or further diagnostics/investigation?

Incidentally, I am not sure if you have mentioned how many miles are on your Yaris, this may be helpful.

But have a good read through the info on here so that you know what is what, and possible further costs before committing to anything.

Please keep us posted on here re any further developments.

Fingers crossed 🤞 for you having a good outcome.

The car has done 112k and is 2006.

it’s a great car and my second Yaris. I have always looked after them.

I have sent him the attachments.

If my car is broke beyond repair - I would hope he would tell me and not charge me.

it was driving fine it just had three episodes of not accelerating when putting foot down and as I do so many motorway miles I thought best to get checked which is when he said new clutch and NOT actuator despite me saying after research it could be.

this forum has been very helpful to me- thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julie toyota yaris said:

he said he isn’t sure but he said he wasn’t going to charge me.

Is this for the clutch he replaced that wasn't needed or for the time he has spent trying to fix it? 

1 minute ago, Max_Headroom said:

Is this for the clutch he replaced that wasn't needed or for the time he has spent trying to fix it? 

I am honestly beside myself and so frustrated. It’s difficult to talk to him. I wish someone could on my behalf! 

he said at around lunchtime today I am only going to be charged for clutch and would discuss any further possible costs but has yet to do that and I have text him again for an update- awaiting update. I have made it clear that I must be informed of any other costs- the car is only worth a certain amount! 

He said the clutch was needed. 
Obviously it is likely it wasn’t! Which I can’t even think about right now. 

I have sent him the attachment  provided by a forum member also. 

the car has been with him since Friday but began clutch on Monday. 

I was told it was ready to go and picked up on Monday evening and then left home in an Uber and when I got there they said there’s an issue and car won’t drive. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Julie toyota yaris said:

He said the clutch was needed. 
Obviously it is likely it wasn’t! Which I can’t even think about right now. 

I have sent him the attachment  provided by a forum member also. 

the car has been with him since Friday but began clutch on Monday. 

I was told it was ready to go and picked up on Monday evening and then left home in an Uber and when I got there they said there’s an issue and car won’t drive. 

I would contact trading standards he has replaced the clutch and it has not sorted the original problem so there is a very good chance as you said it was never the problem.

A clutch is a few hours job you should have got it back the dame day the fact he said it was fixed then when you got there said it wasn't stinks and makes me wonder if he knew what he was doing from the start.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max_Headroom said:

I would contact trading standards he has replaced the clutch and it has not sorted the original problem so there is a very good chance as you said it was never the problem.

Thank you for advice- I do appreciate it.

• Like 1

I think you missed my edit - 

A clutch is a few hours job you should have got it back the dame day the fact he said it was fixed then when you got there said it wasn't stinks and makes me wonder if he knew what he was doing from the start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I feel the same. I’m stuck completely. 

• Sad 1

Julie,it sounds like you are understandably getting quite upset by all this.

A friend of mine crashed her Yaris a few weeks ago (no one hurt fortunately) and she got into quite a state about it, until she could not think straight.

Members on here gave good advice and information that I passed on to her, which helped a lot and calmed the situation.

So it may help you to try and step back from this for a day or so,or at least a few hours, with a glass of pinot grigio if you have any, and try to relax for a bit.

I will only ask you one more thing for now, do you need your car for work or other essentials ?

If so, and there is still any good will between you and the garage, it's possible that they could offer a courtesy car, depending what kind of an outfit they are.

I have a had a loan car ,albeit an old one, a couple of times from small garages.

As when I think about it, they have your car which doesn't drive, you still have your £650 for the new clutch, which I would say is a strong incentive for them to do what they can to finish the job and keep you happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

IMO goodwill has to be on both sides, situations like this can cause unnecessary stress.  If you have used this garage previously and never had a problem before it maybe worthwhile waiting to see if they can diagnose and fix the problem. 

If you haven't used them before you have to decide whether to call it a day and either arrange for the car to be picked up and taken to either a different garage or Toyota dealer.

This is all dependent on the costs involved and the value of the vehicle. Contacting Trading Standards can be very time consuming and can lead to further delays.

If you do not feel you have confidence in them, then remove the car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bper said:

This is all dependent on the costs involved and the value of the vehicle. Contacting Trading Standards can be very time consuming and can lead to further delays.

While i agree with that statement mentioning them to the person giving you the run-around can often work miracles 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a snapshot of how much limbo I am in!

I haven’t shown any phone number of anything and wouldn’t do that. 

So am respecting privacy- Brad is my car. 

just showing you why I am so frustrated.

I wouldn’t want to cause anyone stress 😞 

I guess I am worrying that my car is beyond repair and he isn’t telling me- I have asked him! He hasn’t said yes or no to when I ask is car broke completely. AB5A8C8A-F01E-4E14-AFA2-8E4932B8EA29.thumb.png.6f3a452a8498d3062c036e460c9be410.png

So one more question can cars just not be repaired if they can’t find fault?

I shall try and rest. 

thanks again guys. 

I had a similar situation a few years ago and despite giving the garage more time to sort the problem out they made excuses after excuses. I got the car picked up and sent to another garage and they sorted it in a few hours.

It cost a bit more money but in the long term it was worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1