Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 Aygo Android headunit

kapiteeli

Hi,

I have a 2007 Aygo and am interested in replacing the original radio with a new one that has a touchscreen, bluetooth and Android Auto support. Has someone else done this? I see these Chinese units go for less than €200, but are they rubbish? I also found some Pioneer headunits with a touchscreen, but I couldn't tell if they were forged or genuine. Which unit should I go for, if I want a quality one instead?

On Aliexpress, eg. with this unit, they tell to check the wiring of the current radio. My idea is to buy a proper headunit and bring it to the garage for them to fit it, so I would not have to tear apart the console. So what is going on with this wiring thing? Can I tell based on the year of manufacture, if my Aygo has this power cable type they warn about?

Thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...

I'm posting an update, in case someone has the same questions in mind. I spent some days in the world of Google & YouTube and found out that the Mk1 Aygo seems to have two types of wiring. From YouTube tutorials, I finally got enough courage to open up the fascia and check the wiring. Turns out, I happen to have exactly the same wiring as this person: https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/185197-aygo-2007-radio-wiring-confusion/

If I have done my research correctly, my Aygo is equipped with ISO wiring harness. The yellow wire in the link above is for the bluetooth system that was factory installed in my Aygo, so I will disregard it when installing the new headunit. I bought a Chinese headunit (should be among the more reliable manufacturers) from Black Friday deals as well as the appropriate fascia (both of them 2 DIN models). Luckily, the headunit I've bought comes with two types of ISO adapters, so in case the yellow and red wire need to be swapped, I don't even have to swap the wires, but instead try the other adapter. Also, I've figured I need an ISO/DIN adapter like this for the antenna.

I will post an update after I have installed the radio. Now my only worries seem to be removing the stuck connectors from the emergency light, window heater and AC buttons, as well as cutting a hole for USB wires which I need to lead from the back of the radio through the fascia.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had the new radio for some time now and can't complain much. I was a bit clumsy and dropped a couple of those blue plastic parts needed to put the fascia back to its place. Luckily, it is holding together nicely with those that are still left. Also I needed to cut the plastic thingy behind the radio, even though the radio was quite slim. One thing that bugs me is that the hole for the USB wire looks a bit ugly, so I if I had to buy the radio again, I would prefer one that has USB ports next to the screen. Finally, it bothers me that the buttons are only lit when I turn on the lights. Despite these small issues, I consider it a successful upgrade and would recommend it to anyone thinking of doing the same.

• Like 2

There is a Youtuber called Saab Unleashed and his channel is all about Chinese Units. After finding this channel, it changed my views on relatively unknown Chinese brands.  Don't get me wrong, some are dreadfully crap and the price will be a big indicator on this.

Well worth looking at if someone does not want to pay the stupid prices that Pioneer, Kenwood etc charge !!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

There is a Youtuber called Saab Unleashed and his channel is all about Chinese Units. After finding this channel, it changed my views on relatively unknown Chinese brands.  Don't get me wrong, some are dreadfully crap and the price will be a big indicator on this.

Well worth looking at if someone does not want to pay the stupid prices that Pioneer, Kenwood etc charge !!

I actually bought one of the radios recommended by Saab Unleashed. It's a valuable source of information, but I'd recommend reading the reviews, of course. They are definitely lucrative against the known brands. I also considered Pioneer, but their cheaper models had too many downsides based on the reviews. There are amazing Chinese units and then there's crap. I bought mine from Atoto, who reportedly has amazing customer support.

• Like 2

I've installed a Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB into my 2012 Aygo Fire.  Reason being:

1. It is the cheapest with Wireless Android Auto on the market.

2. I have no faith in Chinese Android HeadUnit

3. I am a bit fuzzy when it comes to sound.  Not to an Audiophile level, but certainly wants decent low, mid and high. (That being said, I've also replace the Speakers, add rear and an active under seat sub-woofer).

Did I regret my decision?  Maybe a little:

1.  Adding after market steering wheel control (such as the option of skipping songs on USB while using Map) is completely impossible. (There is no option for mapping buttons)

2. The no physical button design means you'll need to look at the screen to do anything. (Again, could be corrected with steering wheel control.  However, Aygo Gen 1 just doesn't have that.)

3. Wireless Android Auto Can be disconnected at Random.  Thankfully, not on a frequent bases, maybe once or twice in a week.

However, that being said, I would still reluctant to try the Chinese head unit because of Durability and Sound Quality.  I would go for more expensive one that allows you to customise the steering wheel input, such as Kenwood dmx8020dabs.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links