Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water leaks on Carina GS E

brummie blue

Today I noticed the passenger side foot wells were very wet with the recent rain,does anyone know where to look to rectify.

Many thanks 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:45 PM, brummie blue said:

Today I noticed the passenger side foot wells were very wet with the recent rain,does anyone know where to look to rectify.

Many thanks 

Hi Graham,

See this link post below regarding this problem hopefully it will point you in right direction.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/85736-carina-e-rain-water-leak/?do=findComment&comment=786440

Thanks very much for replying to my post,I will check this out.

I have 60 views and only one with any advice or help,I thought a forum pulled people together and try and help each other.

Many thanks Graham 

15 minutes ago, brummie blue said:

Thanks very much for replying to my post,I will check this out.

I have 60 views and only one with any advice or help,I thought a forum pulled people together and try and help each other.

Many thanks Graham 

Sometimes it can take a while for someone to notice a post that they can help with.

But a lot of people here I think look at the latest posts as a matter of course, and maybe don't have any specific answers to offer.

The people on here are very helpful, and do help each other all the time, maybe you could have a look around the threads and see this before reaching a conclusion.

Hope you get the leaks cured ok.

True mate, I just thought there would have been a few more with this problem.

Thank you Graham 

Hi Graham, I have exactly the same problem in my 1994 Carina E, I'm still yet to solve the issue unfortunately. I originally thought it might be the door seal which I changed for one from a breaker car however this hasn't solved the problem. 

If you work out where yours comes from I would love to know.

Hi, I tipped water down the window on the rear passenger side and saw it coming in on the carpet,so I will investigate more and take door cards off, I'll let you know how I get on and visa versa.

Thanks 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, when I've got a bit of time I'll do some more investigating

Hi, I've made a temporary repair to stop my leaks in the footwells, I put 1 inch gorilla tape on the window weather strips and stuck in to the glass,I haven't had any water in since. The only problem is I can't open the windows 😂.

I have ordered some self adhesive tape to try when the weather gets better as my search for original weather strips has hit a blank.

• Haha 1

Sorry meant to say self adhesive rubber trims.

Hi Graham,

Seen you post a couple of times here on this. Have you removed the door card from the offending door?

I appreciate that sealing the outside window glass to the door will stop the rain making it's way inside the car but there should be a plastic membrane sheet behind the door card thats fully sealed to the inner door skin! This prevents any water that gets through the outer rubber weather seal and the glass from getting inside the vehicle. A perished rubber strip weather strip shouldn't really allow water into the car as that plastic sheet behind the door card is there to prevent this.

Also check the bottom of the door skin, there should be drain channels there that allow any water that does getting inside the door to flow out. 

Not great weather at the moment for this though.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, I only did this as a temporary repair as the weather is terrible and wanted to find the source of the problem.I did try getting the window winder off to take the rear panel to no avail.I just couldn't get it off,any advice welcomed. The car has only done 21000 and is like a time warp,so I thought the plastic would be intact.

Thanks for your advice Graham 

Hi again Graham.

I don't have any direct experience with the Carina E but have removed window winders from a lot of other vehicles over the years.

If you could take a photo of the offending winder it would help in working out how the winder is held in place and hopefully how to remove it.

I'm assuming for the moment that your talking about a manual window winder handle! I can think of two different means I've come across of holding the winder handles onto the spindles.

In the meantime does this link show the same or similar winder to the ones you have on your car?

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/spare-parts/toyota/window-crank/bd-t19.html

• 4 weeks later...

I have removed the window winder in ours before, there is a U-shaped metal pin that you need to slide backwards, then you should be able to slide the winder off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links