Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto headlamp dipping

Michael L

I was wondering how people find the automatic headlamp dipping function? Mine seems to work OK in recognising oncoming traffic but isn't so hot at seeing tail lights ahead. I end up with drivers flashing their rear fogs in protest. I don't suppose it is adjustable.

• Like 1

It's a topic that's been discussed several times over the years. Some people just don't think it works well. I'm more in the camp of 'It mostly works but I'm always ready to intervene'. There is no known way of adjusting it.

Personally I've only been flashed once and I think that was unnecessary from what I remember of it. The only time I have my doubts about it really is when there's a height difference, especially with HGVs approaching from the other side of a crest. But as I've noted several times now - just because your headlight are illuminating a vehicle doesn't actually mean they are being dazzled. If the Corolla's computer is well programmed with the beam spread and if the camera is properly installed it will have a better idea of exactly when dazzle is a risk.

For sure I don't trust it like I used to trust my Jazz. But nor do I get the impression that the auto-dip is completely broken. It just might be a bit too clever sometimes.

Some examples:

A vehicle on a steep hill above you should not be dazzled until fairly close to you.

A vehicle ahead of you on a right hand bend - should only be dazzled by you while they are between you and the apex of the bend. If it's a tight enough curve and they are oncoming they might never be dazzled.

• Like 4

I wasn’t aware that it was supposed to detect tail lights ahead so I always manually dip in those circumstances.

12 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

I wasn’t aware that it was supposed to detect tail lights ahead so I always manually dip in those circumstances.

All such systems are supposed to and my Corolla usually does.

I have the same trouble, it's not nearly as responsive as it should be. Also doesn't recognise street lit areas very well and turn them off when you enter them.

Would be interesting to know if they've fixed it in next year's model, or does the Yaris have the same problem?

The automatic dipping headlamps work quite well on my car, both for approaching vehicles and whilst following a vehicle.  Occassionally I have to intervene, but normally let them get on with it. One thing I have noticed though, is when I turn off the main road, (I use the term loosely as I live in a very rural area with no street lights), to drive the last three miles to my home, the headlights go from full to dip all by themselves and will not work automatically. This happens every time. As there are no street lights, I have to cancel the automatic stage and operate the lights manually. I can not understand why, as I am driving from one unlit road onto another. :huh:

• Like 2

On the whole mine works ok only time I think I had a problem was coming from the darkness into street lighting approaching a junction a car pulled out in front of me had to take evasive action not sure if they went to high beam then immediately went to low I don’t know if they thought I had flashed them out or they just did not see me. But I must admit that as you get older I don’t like much driving at night especially when it’s raining and when I do I tend to use high beam/dip manually.

• Like 2

I have mine enabled all the time and on the whole it works ok sometimes if i think it doesn't react quick enough i'll manually get involved. I've never been in a situation where it looks like it's flashing in a way that might cause annoyance for people as i've seen that concerned raised.

I only use the AHB when I'm on normal two way rural-ish roads. It works perfectly fine there.........

.........but I found that on a motorway or dual carriageway, especially one that has loooooooong straights on them, the AHB will pop the lights up when there is still a car in front, albeit at some distance away.
I can still see the other cars' tail-lights, but the AHB sensor can't and ups the lights.

I don't use it. Had it on cars previously and didn't use it then either.

just a thought, does adjustable distance cruise radar have any influence on AHB?

14 minutes ago, beeblebrox said:

just a thought, does adjustable distance cruise radar have any influence on AHB?

in what sense?  i've not noticed any difference in the behaviour of either when used concurrently.

As a sense of some sort of sensitivity adjustment of the AHB which was asked earlier in the thread. If you've not noticed any difference, then you've answered me ......thanks for reply.

I have tried it and to be honest it just doesn't react quick enough. I find it's more trouble than it's worth and I'm not impressed with it. I don't use it anymore.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm not inconsiderate enough to use it on other people... it is just too inconsistent. Normally I turn off my high-beams as soon as I see someone elses round a corner or over a hill, before the car has even come into view, but these can only react afterwards. They can't predict, and they react too slow - I normally flash people that react this slow!

as i have said before i think mine works ok , but as others have said am always ready to dip manually, but again i only use it out of town and turn it off in built up areas . 

• Like 1

I trialled mine on this and it does detect all main headlamps and tail lights... on occasions when it decides it wants to.

I noticed in bright-lit areas it does not switch to main beam - as it should... but on dark roads when in auto-headlamp main mode it does not always switch to dip when a car comes along.

But in my honest opinion this is something that Toyota should not have invested money in.  This is a common-sense thing to dip manually as we have always done.  They should have added as standard (for pure safety reasons) blind spot monitoring on all vehicles instead... or have the rear wiper auto-on when front wipers are on AND also have auto-lock doors when switching to R or D (instead of having to get main dealer to switch then on via laptop).

Toyota are atrocious for things they used to fit as standard and do not now.

Yes I know most manufacturers want money for these things now - money grabbing b*tards.
They are all going the subscription service route now - especially EVs.

• Like 1

Well missing features is a whole new topic, but for my money I'm amazed that there is no warning that the screenwash reservoir is low. So basic!

1 hour ago, Michael L said:

Well missing features is a whole new topic, but for my money I'm amazed that there is no warning that the screenwash reservoir is low. So basic!

Horrendous isn't it, my car doesn't tell me to pop a coat on in the chilly mornings either 🙄

59 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Horrendous isn't it, my car doesn't tell me to pop a coat on in the chilly mornings either 🙄

Mine does 😊 when I look out of the window and it's covered in frost, it's big coat,scarf and gloves time.

While I'm here though Parts -King, you might know whether it's possible to warm up my car when it's sub zero safely.

I have not tried it yet as not sure if it would damage or mess up the central locking ,as in start the engine to warm up,lock it with the spare key,then go back in the house while it warms up.

I know this would waste petrol and be bad for pollution on a small scale, but needs must and all that.

So the trouble I have when it's really cold,is the change in temperature from in the house to outside,or a cold car,this makes it very difficult to breathe for me with severe COPD.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

,as in start the engine to warm up,lock it with the spare key,then go back in the house while it warms up.

No reason why you can't actually do that BUT it is technically illegal to leave a running car unattended 

• Like 1

Ah thanks Parts -King, this would be on the drive though, not the road.

Well I say drive, it's only a patch of concrete a bit longer than the car, but too close to the road to risk leaving it unlocked.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ah thanks Parts -King, this would be on the drive though, not the road.

Well I say drive, it's only a patch of concrete a bit longer than the car, but too close to the road to risk leaving it unlocked.

To be honest, I do it myself, I'm in a cul de sac and down a long drive........will be just like me to get it nicked at the first frost 😂😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tech429 said:

I trialled mine on this and it does detect all main headlamps and tail lights... on occasions when it decides it wants to.

I noticed in bright-lit areas it does not switch to main beam - as it should... but on dark roads when in auto-headlamp main mode it does not always switch to dip when a car comes along.

But in my honest opinion this is something that Toyota should not have invested money in.  This is a common-sense thing to dip manually as we have always done.  They should have added as standard (for pure safety reasons) blind spot monitoring on all vehicles instead... or have the rear wiper auto-on when front wipers are on AND also have auto-lock doors when switching to R or D (instead of having to get main dealer to switch then on via laptop).

Toyota are atrocious for things they used to fit as standard and do not now.

Yes I know most manufacturers want money for these things now - money grabbing b*tards.
They are all going the subscription service route now - especially EVs.

Back to topic - I believe that the system is deactivated when the light level is high, this includes under street lights. I’ve had several Citroens with auto lights and that is how they are set up. The system has gradually improved and the one in the Corolla is the best I’ve had. Big BUT, you still have to use common sense ‘cos no system is full proof and it can’t predict what may happen, it can’t see lights over a hump, we can.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:20 PM, newda898 said:

I have the same trouble, it's not nearly as responsive as it should be. Also doesn't recognise street lit areas very well and turn them off when you enter them.

Would be interesting to know if they've fixed it in next year's model, or does the Yaris have the same problem?

The only difference I can find between the Yaris and a my22 Corolla is that in the Yaris the auto high beam works when the light stalk is in the dipped beam position.  In the Corolla it only activates when the stalk is in the main beam position.

• Like 1