Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto headlamp dipping

Michael L

2 hours ago, Parts-King said:

To be honest, I do it myself, I'm in a cul de sac and down a long drive........will be just like me to get it nicked at the first frost 😂😂

Hope not😱, do you lock yours with the spare key? 

Trouble is there are so many travelling Crims driving around looking for opportunities to nick cars, and anything else not nailed down.

• Like 1

No I don't, I'm up and out before any crims operate 😎

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Michael L said:

Well missing features is a whole new topic, but for my money I'm amazed that there is no warning that the screenwash reservoir is low. So basic!

I've only ever owned one car that had that - a 1980s Nissan Sunny. And the later models of that didn't have it.

6 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ah thanks Parts -King, this would be on the drive though, not the road.

Well I say drive, it's only a patch of concrete a bit longer than the car, but too close to the road to risk leaving it unlocked.

You should be okay as the unattended law only applies on public roads, but I know what you mean. I'd have 4 layers on and a scarf round my face when it's proper cold because all the Yarisusesieses I've had (Apart from the Mk2) took so long to warm up!

The diesel ones and even the Mk4 hybrid I have now basically don't warm up in winter when idling, so I have to drive them around to get any sort of heat generation going! I do envy the people that have PTC heaters and heat pumps... if only Toyota UK left in the heated seats and steering wheel options! :crybaby: 

Thankfully it doesn't get so cold down here that often, or I'd have to start thinking about the feasibility of connecting an electric space heater to the traction Battery :laugh: 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

You should be okay as the unattended law only applies on public roads, but I know what you mean. I'd have 4 layers on and a scarf round my face when it's proper cold because all the Yarisusesieses I've had (Apart from the Mk2) took so long to warm up!

The diesel ones and even the Mk4 hybrid I have now basically don't warm up in winter when idling, so I have to drive them around to get any sort of heat generation going! I do envy the people that have PTC heaters and heat pumps... if only Toyota UK left in the heated seats and steering wheel options! :crybaby: 

Thankfully it doesn't get so cold down here that often, or I'd have to start thinking about the feasibility of connecting an electric space heater to the traction battery :laugh: 

But you keep heater off , right ? 😉

Set the temperature at 22C° and start the car and I am sure that after two minutes only at idle the heater will start blowing warm air. I never had any petrol car to be so quick in warming up itself, I believe Toyota hybrids are made to warm up very quickly, even Prius has coolant going through the exhaust and back to the engine. 👍

• Like 3

Well Cyker, the tsport warms fairly quickly while idling, and within a mile driving even when cold weather.

Of course,in my younger fitter days the cold didn't bother me, I could go out in the usual northern,err, east midlands winter attire of Shell suit bottoms, sandals, and a string vest,as long as it was above 10° below zero.

When working down your neck of the woods I found it is generally a bit warmer as you say, so could often dispense with the string vest and shout at passers by while guzzling tins of strong lager on a park bench after work.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Set the temperature at 22C° and start the car and I am sure that after two minutes only at idle the heater will start blowing warm air. I never had any petrol car to be so quick in warming up itself, I believe Toyota hybrids are made to warm up very quickly, even Prius has coolant going through the exhaust and back to the engine. 👍

Yea I usually turn the HVAC completely off when it's cold until the engine gets at least 3 out of 8 bars of temp. I did try leaving it on last year but the engine is *really* obnoxious when it's running but not driving the wheels and that 3-port diesel hammer sound would drive me mad if I had it for the whole journey! The car didn't even get that hot, just lukewarm :sad: 

For me it's just not worth it with the mpg hit on top of it!

It heats up a lot faster if I can hit a flowing motorway, but crawling through traffic just doesn't let it get hot enough - As soon as the heating is on all the heat gets sucked out of the engine and I'm down to 1 bar of engine temp within a few minutes!

22 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Well Cyker, the tsport warms fairly quickly while idling, and within a mile driving even when cold weather.

That's the good thing about a normal petrol engine, even that oil-gulping 1.33 in my Mk2 would warm up very fast compared to the diesels and hybrid!

Ironically that car was the one with the smegged up AC system so while it was toasty and hot in winter, it was also toasty and hot in the summer! :wacko:

On balance I'd rather be cool than hot, as I can always put on more layers in winter, but there're only so many layers I can remove in summer!! :eek: 

27 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Of course,in my younger fitter days the cold didn't bother me, I could go out in the usual northern,err, east midlands winter attire of shell suit bottoms, sandals, and a string vest,as long as it was above 10° below zero.

When working down your neck of the woods I found it is generally a bit warmer as you say, so could often dispense with the string vest and shout at passers by while guzzling tins of strong lager on a park bench after work.

Dear god that's a mental image I didn't need in the evening :sick: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry Cyker, that was a bit graphic, but you know my sense of the extreme for comedic purposes.😁

The reality was more likely the Angel on the bridge,or the Argyll in Henley,in my wage slave suit and tie (loosened a bit of course) enjoying a glass of breakspears and canapes if there were any free ones on the bar.

Ah the good old 80s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have I missed something?    This topic on Automatic headlights has suddenly changed to in car temperature.

I know I'm getting on but confused.  🙂 .

Sorry, we are the off-topic brigade and tend to derail topics until someone starts posting on-topic again or frosty shoos us away *runs*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i find the lights just ok , but let the car warm up at its own rate , but this might be because it`s always garaged at night so not covered in frost during the winter months. 

• Like 1

Sorry for going back on topic....

To me it dips later than I would, but I have only been flashed twice so perhaps it knows more than me.

• Haha 2

No auto dipping lights can work as good as manually controlled lights.

Light change should happen before the light pattern hit the oncoming cars, that is not possible with auto dipping lights or so called “dynamic laser lights “ bs, all that cause is difficulties to other road users. These days the automatic extras plus nastiness of many drivers make driving at night extremely unpleasant and unsafe., especially when is raining or it’s foggy.
If the industry is interested of making people’s life easier introducing new tech they should do it to be safe for all users and to prevent accidents, like no possibility of exceeding speed limits in any one time, no possibility of blind oncoming cars, no possibility of hitting someone because of no safe distance between cars, no possibility of acceleration rate faster than 12 sec no matter if you drive Prius or Bugatti. , unlocking power and performance as driver’s skills progress and driver safety history and only availability at certain areas etc. the list is going on and on. Unfortunately what we have is nowhere near the real deal what we need to improve driving for all. I am not ranting about, but I do spent enough time on uk roads to witness more than anyone else and I can see where we are all heading and where we should. 

Use your dipping function manually, take control of your car and enjoy safer and more engaging driving experience. 
Anyone prefer everything auto, just hire a taxi , perhaps driverless soon. 😉👌

• Like 2

On 11/9/2022 at 6:15 PM, TonyHSD said:

Mine does get warm really quickly too.  Best car i've had for that.

• Like 1

Mine seems to work fine most of the time, it works really well for oncoming traffic and also when there's street lighting, I did notice once last night it was slow to react to tail lights but it was quite misty so overall very good...I 'm becoming a lazy driver with this car. 😁

• Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 5:04 PM, Deano68 said:

Mine seems to work fine most of the time, it works really well for oncoming traffic and also when there's street lighting, I did notice once last night it was slow to react to tail lights but it was quite misty so overall very good...I 'm becoming a lazy driver with this car. 😁

It's easy done.

But I never get lazy in a car.  I have the auto-headlights off.  The only real good thing about many cars these days are the safety features they have installed.  Although you would think that Toyota would get its act together and fit Blind Spot Monitoring as standard across the range.  Not to mention the added 'hidden' features that are installed but just not enabled (you have to go to dealership and get them to connect up and enable them).

Auto-rear wiper when front wipers on if you select reverse is one of these things now hidden.  Not an issue but if there why not have enabled as standard?

On 11/7/2022 at 2:52 PM, Michael L said:

I was wondering how people find the automatic headlamp dipping function? Mine seems to work OK in recognising oncoming traffic but isn't so hot at seeing tail lights ahead. I end up with drivers flashing their rear fogs in protest. I don't suppose it is adjustable.

I have found it to be a bit hit and miss. When it is very dark it mostly works OK, recognising front and rear lights OK. Sometimes its a bit slow and by the time it kicks in I have been flashed by the oncoming driver. Once just as the sun had gone down and it kicked in it refused to turn off at all and I was getting flashed by lots of people while I was trying to get it to work, so in the end I just switched it off in frustration. It seems to have more of a problem when it is just strating to get dark but it is clearly dark enough for the system to kick in!