Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What is the anticipated cost of a new exhaust?

Mark_P

I just came back from the Netherlands, the wife picked me up at the airport and I said the car sounds a bit more throaty.

Fast forward 24hours and the car was sounding even deeper. literally after saying I think think the exhaust has gone, it dropped. thankfully it sheared off from at the front part of the silencer.

I did toy with the idea of trying to replace it mysel., if you've had to replace it what was the cost?

I do have to say, its not bad for an 09 plate, as far as i can tell from all the paperwork, it's never had any exhaust work

Ta,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The OE ones are pretty pricey IIRC, not sure about pattern parts. You could get a stainless sports exhaust... :laugh: 

The complete exhaust cat back ? 1.0 or 1.33

front pipe is a secondary cat £££, rear section with back box, toyota item. £180-210 (guestimate) - 17430-40071 (old number 17430-40070)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, flash22 said:

The complete exhaust cat back ? 1.0 or 1.33

front pipe is a secondary cat £££, rear section with back box, toyota item. £180-210 (guestimate) - 17430-40071 (old number 17430-40070)

It's a 1.0, from the looks of it, the pipe is corroded at the joint into the back box

photo_2022-11-14_10-25-23.jpg

• Like 2

get someone to weld back on as a temp fix, you may have to wait for parts

the other alterative is to get an exhaust shop to do a custom-made exhaust either in stainless or mild steel - not as expensive as you think

• Like 1

Thanks Flash, I'll take a look at getting it welded. As for the custom exhaust, its tempting to for - depending on the cost if it works out. 

I had a similar failure, but on the final, short length of pipe that exits the back box on a Corolla, so not a load bearing pipe in that case.  It had just fallen off somewhere.

I measured the internal diameter of the pipe, and bought a short length of stainless pipe of the same outside diameter   It might have been this seller on eBay, but there are others.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293229037890?var=592093916358&hash=item4445d00942:g:6I8AAOSwltNdfMuW&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoLP6ZFvIFaKuCl2zhI9uXH8sn7WrBTlgcKOSnmuqfijOdae4Dv5ccm68BuPLhNm3j5Mgc0xbRb44zvfehRpsMiA15io51eesgB4JAk1dAizpAunFrouJrd4n8g8yqpfqwnGo0J45SMBrFPHmS3DZ1JlXybA%2FwtmMIe1tpVOvb1o5NSLnV5aB0i1QCB4ofJMMqVHR7pX1UbcWWHjNOez%2BpgQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5DTiuKOYQ

As an attempt for a short term fix whilst I considered my options, I fitted it a few inches into the remaining pipe in the back box (a very snug fit in this case) with some high-temperature epoxy for good measure.

It is still there five years later.  Perhaps I got lucky with the dimensions being 'just-so'?

I guess if you were to go down this route, then getting the new pipe inside both existing pipes would involve seperating them at the break lengthways, which might be an aggravation.

• Like 2

Thanks, I've just visited a couple of garages. National quoted £307, an independent quoted £257, I'll be getting it booked in at the end of the month

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links